The Student Room Group

Article: Struggling to sleep? Six tips to help you doze off

It's Sleep Awareness Week and as someone who suffers from insomnia it would be great to hear everyone else's tips on how to get to sleep!

I've written an article with my tips in it after having tried lots of different solutions over the years!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=14233-Struggling-to-sleep-6-simple-tips-to-doze-off

How do you get yourself to nod off at night?
Reply 1
I imagine myself in a comfortable situation eg a warm single bed in a cottage in the countryside. It seems strange to imagine being in bed when you already are but it seems to work for me!
Original post by Jasonpt
I imagine myself in a comfortable situation eg a warm single bed in a cottage in the countryside. It seems strange to imagine being in bed when you already are but it seems to work for me!

Yeah I do this too, but I have to imagine traffic/plane noise because I can't settle without it, it's too quiet in the country
Does anyone else find their body clock can make falling asleep really hard? I sometimes get into a pattern e.g. if I start lectures later than normal for a few days I will get up later and then my body clock starts to shift so that I fall asleep later. This means that it can take me ages (or at least it feels like it) to get to sleep, no matter how tired I am and even when I do things like turning off screens and relaxing beforehand. When I start having to get up earlier again I will be back to normal in a few days.
Reply 4
I used to struggle with sleep but ever since i have depression i don't care anymore. I go to bed everyday at 2-4 am and wake up 8am. Sometimes, if your struggling to sleep then don't even try to sleep, do activities, your brain will shut off eventually.

I don't consider myself to have sleeping problems since my mind isn't really clear and that i know i want to sleep late.
oh dear, sounds like I need to stop relying on the sleeping pills... I don't do caffeine at all, I have decent bed, I more or less have the same routine, I have been keeping a diary for years (confession) so maybe I need to try audiobooks or mediation. sometimes music helps but if I have my player on shuffle then I get something really unrelaxing come up.
the best sleeping pills I have found are melatonin but you can only get them from USA...
Reply 6
In addition to meditation, ASMR helps me relax before bed. Youtube ASMR videos :smile:
im going to try the notebook idea! i think it will be extremely helpful! thank you! :biggrin:
I think it might also be worth adding lighting conditions. Research a bit back showed that sleep is massively effected by lighting when trying to sleep, i.e. you sleep best in total darkness, and given that when at uni I keep at least one of my monitors on I can vouch for this.
Original post by justbeu
oh dear, sounds like I need to stop relying on the sleeping pills... I don't do caffeine at all, I have decent bed, I more or less have the same routine, I have been keeping a diary for years (confession) so maybe I need to try audiobooks or mediation. sometimes music helps but if I have my player on shuffle then I get something really unrelaxing come up.
the best sleeping pills I have found are melatonin but you can only get them from USA...

I was on prescription sleeping pills for several years. Over time they became less effective and the side effects got worse. It was only forcing myself off them and addressing the causes of the insomnia that allowed me to sleep normally again.

So, yeah, I don't recommend sleeping pills.
Reply 10
I'm usually awake most nights, I've tried all of those but still no headway :frown:

I just give up and write a song, that clears my mind a bit.
Thank you for sharing, falling asleep is a nightmare for me! :yy:

One of my friends has an app on his phone that simulates the sound of rain which he finds very relaxing (may just be personal taste) but he finds it very relaxing and it helps him to fall asleep! :smile:
Having a sleeping schedule has vastly improved my fatigue levels - I would definitely recommend it. I would add that it only works if you are willing to commit to it consistently.
Original post by Quantex
I was on prescription sleeping pills for several years. Over time they became less effective and the side effects got worse. It was only forcing myself off them and addressing the causes of the insomnia that allowed me to sleep normally again.

So, yeah, I don't recommend sleeping pills.

I am not actually on prescription pills, my mum just buys them online, I don't think they'd give them to a 16-yr-old permanently... I just find that I am crap at school if I don't get a decent amount of sleep.

What helped you get over insomnia??
I read a book before sleeping , and doze off easily.
I fall asleep well, thank god!

But I think closing your eyes and just laying there.. you eventually drift off to sleep! :smile:
Original post by Jammy Duel
I think it might also be worth adding lighting conditions. Research a bit back showed that sleep is massively effected by lighting when trying to sleep, i.e. you sleep best in total darkness, and given that when at uni I keep at least one of my monitors on I can vouch for this.

This is why it is so annoying having a streetlight right outside my room at uni which has really thin curtains!
Original post by Dylann
In addition to meditation, ASMR helps me relax before bed. Youtube ASMR videos :smile:

Yeah ASMR :biggrin: they're the best thing to go to sleep. Who's your favourite ASMRartist btw?
Reply 18
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Yeah ASMR :biggrin: they're the best thing to go to sleep. Who's your favourite ASMRartist btw?

Oh man that's a big question!! I like MassageASMR, Ephemeral Rift, GentleWhispering, SpringBokASMR, HeatherFeather, MissASMR..

GentleWhispering doesn't make videos that often anymore :frown: so I'd say MassageASMR and SpringbokASMR are my current favourites...I think SpringbokASMR is extremely beautiful which relaxes me even more lol!

What about you?
Original post by Dylann
Oh man that's a big question!! I like MassageASMR, Ephemeral Rift, GentleWhispering, SpringBokASMR, HeatherFeather, MissASMR..

GentleWhispering doesn't make videos that often anymore :frown: so I'd say MassageASMR and SpringbokASMR are my current favourites...I think SpringbokASMR is extremely beautiful which relaxes me even more lol!

What about you?

Ooo yeah Maria she doesn't upload stuff very often, though I have to say she's the best.

But I also particularly like WhispersUnicorn and ASMRrequests (Departure ep1 is awesomeeeee, listen to it right now [even if you sleep]). EphemeralRift scares the hell out of me D:

Glad to know some people on here experience asmr :')
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest