The Student Room Group

Is having a fat child down to poor parenting?

Do you ever see a fat child and think it must be down to poor parenting - whether it be because their parents are uneducated, or that they don't see a problem in their child's weight.

Ultimately it's down to the parents what their child eats and how much. So they're either eating too many calories or not doing enough exercise, or both. The only legitimate excuse that I can think of is the kid having some kind of serious illness. Being 'big boned' or having a slow metabolism just doesn't cut it.

Scroll to see replies

In the vast majority of cases, I'd argue 'yes'.
Reply 2
Mostly, yes.
Original post by Freudian Slip
In the vast majority of cases, I'd argue 'yes'.

In the vast majority of cases, I'd argue that you'd be wrong.

It's easy to blame overworked and overstressed parents for overweight children but in practice the parents are not entirely responsible because they are not with the children 24/7 as they're functioning as tax-payers for 12-16 hours of the day. The schools are more to blame in my opinion because they're the ones who are meant to educate children on weight-related issues. I mean what are they teaching in science if it's not about the Human body? Sod all the useless plant crap and teach stuff the children can use in real life. Don't get me started on P.E. The schools don't schedule proper excercise classes for the children instead they're allowed to play football for an hour or go swimming while a large group of children who are prone to being overweight are pushed to the side because they do not excel in sports. These children are failed by both their P.E teacher and the school as they're taught to hate physical activity.
Original post by Mistake Not...

It's easy to blame overworked and overstressed parents for overweight children but in practice the parents are not entirely responsible because they are not with the children 24/7 as they're functioning as tax-payers for 12-16 hours of the day. The schools are more to blame in my opinion because they're the ones who are meant to educate children on weight-related issues. I mean what are they teaching in science if it's not about the Human body? Sod all the useless plant crap and teach stuff the children can use in real life. Don't get me started on P.E. The schools don't schedule proper excercise classes for the children instead they're allowed to play football for an hour or go swimming while a large group of children who are prone to being overweight are pushed to the side because they do not excel in sports. These children are failed by both their P.E teacher and the school as they're taught to hate physical activity.

You don't need to be with your child 24/7 for my argument to stand. The amount of parents I see 'shutting their kids up' in supermarkets, on the street, public transport etc. with a packet of crisps or chocolate is ridiculous. Indeed, most people I know with children admit to doing this to 'get five minutes to themselves'.

Also, how is 'playing football for an hour' any 'worse' than a 'properly scheduled exercise class'? At least they're being physically active... :erm:
As a parent, you are responsible as to what your child eats. Those who are overweight due to serios illness, are I do believe, a minority. And if that is the case for your child, then you'd the sensible thing and do all you can to keep your child's weight under control.

Yes, ok, if your child has a school meal, you can't control that. But you control the other meals they eat.
Original post by ImNotSuperman
Do you ever see a fat child and think it must be down to poor parenting - whether it be because their parents are uneducated, or that they don't see a problem in their child's weight.

Ultimately it's down to the parents what their child eats and how much. So they're either eating too many calories or not doing enough exercise, or both. The only legitimate excuse that I can think of is the kid having some kind of serious illness. Being 'big boned' or having a slow metabolism just doesn't cut it.

Ultimately it is down to Western culture, rather than poor parenting. Obesity exists at all levels in Western society, both children and adults, both rich and poor, educated and uneducated. The problem of obesity should therefore be tackled as a whole, as it is a societal problem.

I agree that parents are part of the casual pathway to childhood obesity, but also the government, the advertising industry, the food industry, and children themselves (when they eat food at school, or when they pressure their peers and parents) who get hooked on junk food and advertisements and all these factors together are elements on the Western culture.
(edited 9 years ago)
Definitely the parents. It's their job to tell their child that they're overweight, and to then provide them with healthy food. So sick of parents going. "Oh, I couldn't tell my 250lb daughter she was fat, I was scared she'd get anorexia!" Cruel to be kind, people.
Reply 8
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Ultimately it is down to Western culture, rather than poor parenting.

Which would suggest all of us influenced by western culture would be overweight.

We aren't.

It's the parent's fault.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Ultimately it is down to Western culture, rather than poor parenting. Obesity exists at all levels in Western society, both children and adults, both rich and poor, educated and uneducated. The problem of obesity should therefore be tackled as a whole, as it is a societal problem.

I agree that parents are part of the casual pathway to childhood obesity, but also the government, the advertising industry, the food industry, and children themselves (when they eat food at school, or when they pressure their peers and parents) who get hooked on junk food and advertisements and all these factors together are elements on the Western culture.

But doesn't the parent choose to give their child McDonalds, etc? Which I would argue is down to poor parenting. Ok, as a treat it's fine once in a while.
I believe that it's entirely circumstantial, but for the most part I'd say that it was a combination of advertising/cultural factors and the parent's responsibility. Of course there will be a minority of children who suffer from some form of mental or physical illness, and it's not my place to judge those that do. But despite the fact that parent's have, or rather should have, total control of what their children eat on a daily basis, you have to admit that advertising is pretty much everywhere nowadays, and there's little that you can do to avoid it completely.
It definitely contributes in a lot of cases.

People complain about fast food advertising, and they are right to, but at the end of the day the parents are usually the ones that buy it for them. They could easily say "no" if they ask to go to McDonald's or ask for unhealthy food all the time.

I'm not saying fast food advertising is fine as it is, but we must stop using fast food advertising to shift blame away from irresponsible parents.
Its not all parents fault, but parents do play a big part in it.
Reply 13
"Healthy food is too expensive and takes time, so I'll wait an hour for my £20 order from the takeaway to be delivered". OK.
Original post by 885588
"Healthy food is too expensive and takes time, so I'll wait an hour for my £20 order from the takeaway to be delivered". OK.

This made me chuckle. :giggle:
Ye children don't choose what they eat. They only eat what their parents give them. So it is pretty much on the parents.

Original post by Mistake Not...

Why are you relying on other people to parent your kid?
Being fat can sometimes be due to genetics.
Reply 17
Original post by German123
Being fat can sometimes be due to genetics.

[video="youtube;_zO2wFkl46g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zO2wFkl46g[/video]
Reply 18
No, I was a pretty fat kid then i reached about 16-17 and genetics kicked in lowering my BMI down to a cool 22 which I then increased back to around 25 after hitting the gym, starting to eat healthily and having a last minute growth spurt. There are also huge issues with the way we actually measure obesity, BMI is fundamentally inaccurate especially for taller men and children, I mean technically I am borderline overweight at the moment which is just complete crap, this is the same for over half my universities rugby team. Remember Brad Pitt in fight club? yeh Google image that and remember according to his BMI at the time, he was overweight, that should really hammer home the point about just how inaccurate this system is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes it can be the parents and sometimes the extended family for example if you go to so calls "ghettos" where there are lots of poor ethnic minorities they will feed the child native food which can often be high in carbs e.g potatoes and there is always someone at home to make something for the child

Quick Reply