The Student Room Group

Choosing a levels

Basically, for GCSEs I am doing history, geography, sociology and French.
For a levels I want to do politics, english lit, and psychology but I am unsure whether to do history as my last option or maybe something with lighter workload such as media.
History is my favourite subject but I've looked at lots of psychology past papers and it seems really interesting, any advice?

(I am unsure of what career path I would like to go into btw)
(edited 9 years ago)
Psychology, from what I've heard, requires a hell of a lot of remembering. You need to be able to recall a load case studies and remember who conducted certain experiments and what effects they had etc. If you've got a good memory, this will be good for you. And apparently it just gets better as you progress into A2.

As for history, it really depends on what exam board your school do. Take a look at the online specification and it will tell you what the course is all about.

Those three subjects look very academic, so something like media would be ideal if it's something you enjoy. However as you say history is your favourite, you're more likely to do well in a subject that you really love. Like I said, do some research and browse through the subject specifications.

Sorry I'm not much help with the history, I know our school did a huge paper on Louis XIV and most of them did very well and they all said they enjoyed the subject at AS-level :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest