The Student Room Group

So, young people, why won't you vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
Excuses won't get you anywhere. Political ignorance is due to laziness.

Well more fool you, I'm not making excuses, the relevant information hasn't been made readily available to me by the people that want ​me to vote. But right now, passing exams is more important to me than voting
Original post by TheTechN1304
For that to be the case, they must have some very eccentric views...

Not at all. It is perfectly reasonable to not support any of the current political parties enough to be OK with voting for them.

To give an example, I'll explain exactly why I don't support any of the current options and therefore will not vote. The spoiler is all my opinions on the Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dems, UKIP and Greens.

Spoiler

Original post by Falcatas
No one has the right to place one human being in a position of political power over another.
By voting you signal that you support the system that allows a certain group (the state) to initiate force against another.

So tell me, do you live in a democratic society? If so, you cannot say that.
The system is put in place to create a civilised, structured society where people's ideas are put forward. This isn't a dictatorship... Do you even know what you're talking about?
I am voting for the first time this year and I cant wait! As a young person, it upsets me when I hear girls my age saying that they are never going to vote "Whats the point?" they say. 100 years ago, women were throwing themselves infront of race horses, literally giving their lives so that women today could vote. I think people in the western world take for granted the voting value, take for example North Korea, China, Burma... in these countries regular citizens have ZERO say. Here we have a chance ( I admit the sound of one vote doesn't sound a lot) we have a chance to have an actual choice of who our leader is. For me, I am grateful that I am voting, but more so, the fact that I even have the right, as a young woman, that I can actually vote.
Educate yourselves people, appreciate what we have and be grateful that you have a voice.
Original post by Jared44
So tell me, do you live in a democratic society? If so, you cannot say that.
The system is put in place to create a civilised, structured society where people's ideas are put forward. This isn't a dictatorship... Do you even know what you're talking about?

Just because there is a majority doesn't mean it is the best course of action.
In modern democratic states all that happens is people fight over who gets done over the most by the state.

You are the only who doesn't what you are talking about.
How can a structure be civil when it relies on the threat of force to make it work?

You must obey the system or face jail or worse.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Who vote more than young people. You twonk.

Don't insult because you don't understand a poster you yourself posted, you ponce.

Original post by Martyn*
They certainly are cynical, and proof of this is found in popular culture. Even the philosopher Bertrand Russell recognised the cynicism of British youth:

http://bactra.org/Russell/on_youthful_cynicism.html

This still rings true today. The young today are too cynical and too distrusting to vote.

That would be an incorrect assumption. They throw all their lot on the first guy they see, or vote according to who their friends or parents say to vote.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm 17 so can't vote yet, but I sure as hell will be as soon as I can. Yeah, my family is pretty interested in politics, both my parents are members of a party, so I have been brought up to care. But all the people saying their votes don't count - they do. A recent study showed that if all the students who could have voted but didn't, had actually gone through with it, the outcome of the election could have been completely different. And that's just the students vote - if everyone voted we would get a significantly more accurate representation of the people's views in government.

Think of it this way. Party A wants to protect the economy. Party B wants to protect the environment. Party C wants to protect workers. It is in the best interests for the rich to vote for party A - their sucess has come from monetary wealth and therefore keeping the economy strong is very important. They are all very invested in this issue, but only a few people are that wealthy, let's say 6. for the sake of this analogy). Meanwhile, the majority of workers are obviously going to be inclined to vote for party C. This is the people's party, who promises to improve the rights of the lower classes. There are a lot more workers than the rich elite, let's say 12. Now, the people who are dedicated to the environment are a smaller population. 6. They believe deeply in their cause but feel like they are fighting a losing battle here.

When it comes to the election, all of the rich group are going to cast their vote. Party A has 6 votes. Only half of the environmentalists think their vote will count. Party B has 3 votes (despite really having as much support as party A). And then the workers, disenfranchised with politics as they believe it can't help them, only turn out a quarter of its supporters on Election Day. Party C, the one with most support, ends up with 4 votes, and party A wins.

Yes this is a very very over simplified version of it all, but you get the idea. Democracy doesn't work unless everyone gives their vote and rather than, as the previous poster said, it resigning us to a system forced upon us, it allows for society to make the system what it wants it to be. But only if society actually cares enough.
So, young people, why won't you vote?

In short, given the choice of candidates, I don't want any of them representing me. Therefore I choose to vote by withholding my vote.

I turned 18 in 2004 and chose not to vote in the 2005 general election. Tony Blair continued building his Orwellian Utopia then Gordon Brown crashed the economy. I felt morally justified not to have been a part of the system that gave these people power. I come from a Liberal Democrat voting middle class family and at the 2010 general election I strongly considered voting for them. But past experience warned me off and a week later they stuck two fingers up at their entire vote and let the Tories into office.

In my opinion, voting based on who will do the least amount of damage undermines the whole reason we have a vote in the first place. I will be withholding my vote in the 2015 general election and will continue to be smug in my moral high ground as the country goes through the Brexit and drops back into recession.
Reply 88
No point. Very safe seat.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
As someone training to be a doctor (correct?) I would have thought you have some kind of opinion on the NHS.

Also if you have little interest in politics how do you know they are all as bad as each other?

I don't see how politics has anything to do with my interest in the NHS. And I'm aware of the general consensus on politics and the political parties, I regularly listen to the radio and watch the news. That might not be enough in many people's opinions but it's enough for me to see that me voting will not change the outlook of the election.
Original post by Captain Jack
There's a reason why young people always get shafted by politicians, because you don't pay them in their currency: voting. It doesn't even really matter who you vote for, you just have to add to the numbers so that they look after young people better.

Politicians want young people to not bother voting, by not even turning up and choosing someone, you are playing right into their hands. You will continue to be immediately screwed over as will the next generation.

I have two unrelated comments on this.

First, it doesn't make sense that politicians don't want young people to vote because politicians want to buy votes. Whoever is currently losing should want to buy as many votes as possible, to try to overcome the winner's current majority, so they should be very interested in bringing more sellers into the market. If we consider elections are purely about vote buying, the fact that young people are holding out means that they are only willing to sell their votes at a price so high that politicians aren't willing or able to buy. Politicians very much want young people to lower that price.

Second, this objection wouldn't be so strong if you hadn't added the final sentence, but I don't agree that elections are primarily about vote buying or that selling one's vote (which is basically legal corruption) is good for anyone in the long run, including the vote seller. Countries generally do best when they have honest, stable institutions that don't favour special interests. Being a favoured minority in a poorly governed country is, with very few exceptions, worse than being a disfavoured minority in a well governed country. I for one hope all the vote sellers stay at home and ossify in front of Jeremy Kyle where they belong.
(edited 9 years ago)
To those who won't vote - if we used the proportional representation system of closed list, so your vote would make a difference (as seats are provided based on % of national vote), would you vote?
Original post by Observatory
I have two unrelated comments on this.

First, it doesn't make sense that politicians don't want young people to vote because politicians want to buy votes. Whoever is currently losing should want to buy as many votes as possible, to try to overcome the winner's current majority, so they should be very interested in bringing more sellers into the market. If we consider elections are purely about vote buying, the fact that young people are holding out means that they are only willing to sell their votes at a price so high that politicians aren't willing or able to buy. Politicians very much want young people to lower that price.

Second, this objection wouldn't be so strong if you hadn't added the final sentence, but I don't agree that elections are primarily about vote buying or that selling one's vote (which is basically legal corruption) is good for anyone in the long run, including the vote seller. Countries generally do best when they have honest, stable institutions that don't favour special interests. Being a favoured minority in a poorly governed country is, with very few exceptions, worse than being a disfavoured minority in a well governed country. I for one hope all the vote sellers stay at home and ossify in front of Jeremy Kyle where they belong.

You're right, looking back at my last post, it was overthetop and not the best thing I have ever written. I like what you've said much better :smile:

I guess, the point I was trying (badly) to put across, is that if people don't vote, it really doesn't help them. And I think finding out about parties in more detail and what they care about, will mean that everyone will have a party that aligns with them to some degree. It's never going to be perfect because no party can be everything to everyone, but there can definitely be a lean.

For instance, my personal cares are around equality, environment, economic stability, staying part of the EU and health support, particularly a focus on mental well-being for young people. A focus on young people and their future, and especially the environment and sustainable fuels are high on my wish list. There are some parties that I believe tick more of those boxes than others. They're not perfect, and I really am not convinced any parties have our strongest leaders to date, but none of those things would stop me from using my vote.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by doctorwhofan98
To those who won't vote - if we used the proportional representation system of closed list, so your vote would make a difference (as seats are provided based on % of national vote), would you vote?

My area is one of the safest Tory seats there is, with over half the area voting for them last time. My vote couldn't be any more pointless, either for or against the Tories. Even PR couldn't make my vote worth anything right now.

PR would definitely change my opinion on voting though. It boggles my mind that AV was so strongly rejected. Even if it didn't work out, it couldn't possibly be as bad as FPTP. Who knows if we'll get another chance at electoral reform in our lifetimes? Though, with another hung parliament looming, that could once again force the issue. But maybe it's too soon since the AV vote for that to happen.

For instance, my personal cares are around equality, environment, economic stability, staying part of the EU and health support, particularly a focus on mental well-being for young people. A focus on young people and their future, and especially the environment and sustainable fuels are high on my wish list. There are some parties that I believe tick more of those boxes than others. .

There's only one that ticks all...:wink:
Original post by Davij038
There's only one that ticks all...:wink:

UKIP? :confused:

(joooke)

For instance, my personal cares are around equality, environment, economic stability, staying part of the EU and health support, particularly a focus on mental well-being for young people. A focus on young people and their future, and especially the environment and sustainable fuels are high on my wish list. There are some parties that I believe tick more of those boxes than others. They're not perfect, and I really am not convinced any parties have our strongest leaders to date, but none of those things would stop me from using my vote.

Come join us, Jack!
UKIP? :confused:

(joooke)

I'm guessing you didn't look at my avatar...

The lib dems are fighting and have fought for all your concerns. Their chief manifest point is specifically on mental health issue. I posted a thread on here not long ago mentioning their environmental success opposed to the fire situation in the 'green' party's sole constituency.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
FPTP? No representatives? Protest Vote?

The government don't let us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending