The Student Room Group

Verbal Presentation

Does anyone have any tips for giving a first time presentation?

I have got to present 11 slides on Powerpoint and read out notes which I will have written down on paper, we also have to get videoed and it's a class of 'around' 15 people. I am quite nervous about it, but with everyone being in the same boat and I imagine once I have read out the first slide it'll get easier?
I absolutely hated public speaking but I found a few things helped my nerves,

* First remember everyone else is in the same boat. Unless you have a particularly evil class I should think they'd understand, and many feel the same.
* Perhaps sit comfortably so you're not shuffling around, perhaps by the computer or board so you can work the slideshow.
* Note-wise keep it to a minimum, perhaps just summarising each slide. Subtle jokes could work, and loosen everyone up a little. No-one likes a presentation fully read to them.
* Lastly, make sure your notes are prepared in advance and know when you're timing your slides etc for to ensure it goes smoothly.

Hope this helps, good luck! Loradora68 xxx
Reply 2
Best thing is to look relaxed, sound like you are making it up off the top of your head and engage the reader (don't look like you'd rather be somewhere else).

Cue cards will help you on the *making it up off the top of your head* bit because you can make quick glances at them to move onto the next point but the whole thing looks far less rehearsed :p:

Also, don't look at your notes too much: it makes the audience feel like you're not trying hard and like you couldnt be bothered to learn it :p: - I know it can be a nervous reaction to look at them, but try to keep eye contact with the audience for as much of the presentation as possible.

Oh, and enjoy it! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
If you're being assessed, then just put the bare minimum of notes on the Powerpoint and talk around each point.

I got told off in a presentation once for not using comic sans!!! Apparently, that is the best font to use :-S

Speak loudly and slowly - it might feel unnatural, but to listen to, it is much easier.

All the best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
If I have to do a presentation or a drama performance, to calm my nerves with lots of people looking at me, I focus on a spot on the wall at the back of the room.
I actually feel a little less nervous about it now! :smile:

This time tomorrow it'll be over, hopefully.
Reply 6
How did it go in the end? :smile:
It went fine, better than I thought it'd be. :biggrin:

Latest