The Student Room Group

English Language A2 coursework - Aqa B

Hi,

I am just starting my Language investigation coursework. I am a private candidate teaching myself the syllabus outside of college.

I am really struggling to find a suitable question/ aim for my investigation as I am not sure what type of question it should be. Is there anyone that could help? Any advice that your teachers may have given you or examples would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Eloise
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by mereloise
Hi,

I am just starting my Language investigation coursework. I am a private candidate teaching myself the syllabus outside of college.

I am really struggling to find a suitable question/ aim for my investigation as I am not sure what type of question it should be. Is there anyone that could help? Any advice that your teachers may have given you or examples would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Eloise

Hi Eloise,

The A2 eng Lang coursework is quite tricky. You can basically do ANYTHING as long as it has a language slant.

For example, I am analysing how people of different ages use language in texts and Facebook messages, so I have created transcripts of conversations and I've analysed the use of emoticons, taboo language, punctuation etc.

Someone in my class is analysing how people on the Jeremy Kyle show use language! So you can do anything, but creating a transcript will get you more marks.

Make sure you link your media piece and critical investigation.

Hope this helps!

Georgina
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Eloise

I am in exactly the same boat as you - studying with OOL and only just starting coursework now. I have no idea where to start, and generally just no ideas!

Georgina - you sound like a woman in the know! My information tells me that this should be about spoken rather than written language? Does this not really matter do you know?

I read online that someone used a transcript from Jonathan Ross' Friday Night show and were investigating if he spoke differently according to the gender he was speaking to.

I need inspiration!!
[QUOTE="katn2005;54177865"]Hi Eloise

I am in exactly the same boat as you - studying with OOL and only just starting coursework now. I have no idea where to start, and generally just no ideas!

Georgina - you sound like a woman in the know! My information tells me that this should be about spoken rather than written language? Does this not really matter do you know?

I read online that someone used a transcript from Jonathan Ross' Friday Night show and were investigating if he spoke differently according to the gender he was speaking to.

I need inspiration!![/QUOTE

Hi!

I'm only in the know because I have spent months asking my teacher to fully explain what on earth to write in a critical investigation as I didn't have any ideas either!

The answer is no, it doesn't matter whether it's on spoken or written language. Someone in my class is analysing the language used in greeting cards, another person is discussing how celeb gossip magazines use language, and my friend is writing his about how Green Day use language in their songs and how that almost every song has a drug reference in it!

So so you can do literally anything. You can discuss how language is used in TV shows or in movies (my friend is discussing the language used in the Lord of the Rings series), or you can analyse music, or spoken transcripts.

My teacher told me that if you annotate something (it could be a page full of song lyrics, or a spoken conversation between a few people, or could be screenshots of Tweets), then the investigation will be more detailed, so therefore you are more likely to achieve more marks.

A transcript of the Jonathon Ross show sounds like a very good idea, so you could perhaps do something similar, like talk about other chat show hosts, and analyse how they talk to different genders, or about how they try to control the conversation. The Peter Kay and Jonathon Ross episode has proved popular in the past. Also, Keith Lemon would be interesting to analyse because he's a massive douche!

Anyway I hope this helps! If you need any more inspiration or advise just ask!

Love Georgina
Reply 5
Haha! I must admit Keith Lemon did cross my mind! I have just checked earlier by emailing my Tutor about the written/spoken thing and this is what he has said: Yes, it does have to be the spoken language that you look at (so songs won't be allowed) and it also has to be natural and spontaneous speech, ie. not planned, so adverts wouldn't qualify.

I need to get my thinking cap on,... and fast! Thanks so much for your help : )
Original post by katn2005
Haha! I must admit Keith Lemon did cross my mind! I have just checked earlier by emailing my Tutor about the written/spoken thing and this is what he has said: Yes, it does have to be the spoken language that you look at (so songs won't be allowed) and it also has to be natural and spontaneous speech, ie. not planned, so adverts wouldn't qualify.

I need to get my thinking cap on,... and fast! Thanks so much for your help : )

Really? Wow. I was told that we didn't have to do a spoken text. Very few people in my year are actually doing a spoken text based investigation as it's hard to collect data for.

Who knows who is right! Hopefully what we will produce will gain us great marks.

Let me know what you choose!
Reply 7
I will do. Watch this space :smile:
Reply 8
Right so,... I am working on the differences in language usage according to gender - within the boardroom of The Apprentice! I have found a few clips and been writing up the transcripts (nightmare!).... I'm not 100% where I am going with this. Can you give any pointers on data collection as I'm not really sure what this is supposed to entail : /
Reply 9
Original post by katn2005
Right so,... I am working on the differences in language usage according to gender - within the boardroom of The Apprentice! I have found a few clips and been writing up the transcripts (nightmare!).... I'm not 100% where I am going with this. Can you give any pointers on data collection as I'm not really sure what this is supposed to entail : /

What frameworks are you using? This will help determine what data you collect x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending