The Student Room Group

Those doing PYA4 in Jan..when will you start revising?

Title says it all really.

I'm in the middle of writing my notes out. (by this I mean the material I will include in each essay). There's so much choice for what to pick to include in essays this is taking me a while! (I'm self teaching on of the topics, and alot of the other two topics because my teacher seems to have missed out 1/2 of the syallbus!). I'm slowly working through it though and writing out essays at the end of each topic, so hopefully I've picked some stuff up. Will start proper revision at xmas I think.

How's everyone else doing? x
I’ve already started my BYB4 revision, am just going over my notes and writing model answers for the big marker questions, practicing exam questions and most importantly getting those A02 points The problem with psychology there’s to much material and notes to learn and I tend to start quite early because of the heavy workload.
now...making a display to put up in my room and then will answer practice questions.. there's so much to learn it seems worse in A2! I got an A in AS so hopefully I'll do okay this time too.
I retaking my unit 4 exam this January!!! I started revising way back in September!!! I still dont feel ready for it!!! Revise ASAP!!!
I think wierdnwonderful has an important point there :smile: you need to revise as soon as possible due to the amount of material you have to learn for an A2 Psychology exam, the earlier you start, the more easier it'll become for you.
I've started revising relationships now.

There's so much and those AO2 marks are hard to get!

Like for example in one past question you had to evaluate one theory of interpersonal attraction for 12 marks! There isn't 12 evaulation points in the text book about either of the theories, so I'm guessing you have to draw on relevent points from other areas of the topic 'relationships' to use as evauation. Is that right? :confused:
Reply 6
trying to revise properly now so difficult!!! wen is the exam, is on the 23rd of jan????
Reply 7
Calum_Magatchu
I've started revising relationships now.

There's so much and those AO2 marks are hard to get!

Like for example in one past question you had to evaluate one theory of interpersonal attraction for 12 marks! There isn't 12 evaulation points in the text book about either of the theories, so I'm guessing you have to draw on relevent points from other areas of the topic 'relationships' to use as evauation. Is that right? :confused:

Which book are you using? The dog book has the opposite problem- pages of detail on AO1 and AO2 and you have to kind of pick out the best. I have two books though because if I don't understand something in the dog book I can look at it in the other one.

I've nearly finished cog now! (the hardest one of the three I'm doing) and I'verevised quite a bit for pro and anti, just need to do all the rest then get started on rels...
Reply 8
Glassgirl- I'm not sure if the exam's on the 22nd or 23rd but it'll be on the AQA wesbite.
smoothie
Which book are you using? The dog book has the opposite problem- pages of detail on AO1 and AO2 and you have to kind of pick out the best. I have two books though because if I don't understand something in the dog book I can look at it in the other one.

I've nearly finished cog now! (the hardest one of the three I'm doing) and I'verevised quite a bit for pro and anti, just need to do all the rest then get started on rels...

I'm actually using the dog book.
Got exactly 2weeks and 6 days to revise the whole thing. Its just tooooo much to revise for 1 exam, they should really split it up into smaller ones, like modules, would be much easier.
Reply 11
That'd make it too easy rufnek :tongue:

Which topics are you doing? I'm not stressing too much, I've had time to enjoy xmas and new year because it's my only exam. I've almost finished relationships now, just got to revise a 24 mark essay on outline and evaluating interpersonal attraction studies and maybe a little bit on dissolution then get started on pro and anti.

I'm glad I bought the exam guide, I didn't know at all they could ask 24 mark questions on studies alone (on some topics), it's added about 1/3 more work on top of what I already thought I had to learn!
We've only just really started PYA4 at my college and the workload seems quite alot already. I was wondering just how many essays there actually are? I want to start doing revision just after my jan exams because I've learnt my lesson from last minute revision at AS :rolleyes:

Also, has anyone done PYA5? How difficult is it? And how do they incorporate the synoptic stuff in it? I just don't understand how we'll be expected to revise for everything we've done in AS and A2 for a psychology synoptic exam... it'll just kill me.
Reply 13
Smoothie/Any one else are these the sections which you could be asked a 24 mark studies only question on? Are there any others?

Relationship -cultural differences in rel's / understudied relationship

Pro/Anti Social - cultural differences in pro behaviour / media influences sections

Also am I right in thinking that say you have to describe/evaluate two theories of something - that you don't have to write same amount for both- so you could get say 7 marks for evaluating theory 1 and 5 marks for evaluating theory 2 - does that make sense? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 14
Beesknees- Estimating here but I'd say there are arund 6 ish essays for each topic.

Star18-In pro and anti the spec specifies you need to know studies on media influences on pro and anti, but I can't see where it says you need to know research studies on cultural differences in pro social behaviour? You also need to know studies on altriusm/bystander behaviour.

I don't know if you knew, but since the spec changes they can now only ask questions on altruism and/or bystander behaviour so I've decided to learn altruism in depth and leave out bystander.

In rels you're right in that they can ask research studies on cultural differences, but they CANNOT ask for studies only in understudied. They can ask a 24 marker on studies on interpersonal attraction though.

I'm so glad I bought the dog book exam guide because in 2006 they messed about with the specification so the original complete companion of the dog book is effectively out of date. I'm sticking to the actual specifications and the exam guide (which was produced after the spec changes).

I'd def recommend the exam guide because on each section it lists pretty much all the possible questions, so if you do those at the end of each topic you hopefully won't be caught out in the exam.

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing! Now I actually need to go and do some work! Wah :frown:
Reply 15
Thanks very m**h for the info - ahh so m**h to learn!
Reply 16
I started a few days ago. I have finished revising 1 of three topics now (animal cognition). So, 1 third of the way there.... I need to get a move on!
Reply 17
Jarv we're about at the same stage ish, except iv done one subtopic from my second topic and half of another subtopic. Also feeling like I need to get a move on!!
Reply 18
Would anyone be able 2 clarify this :confused: - you know you can be asked studies only 24 mark questions, for example on 'Altrusism/Bystander behaviour' in Rel.topic - on these questions can they ask you for explanations only? Cause getting bit confused if say for Altruism how many essays they could in effect ask you on the one topic? Thanks! :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending