The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Definately do French as modern languages are loved by law univerisities :p:
Reply 2
Yep languages are always good to choose. History would be another good one.
Reply 3
Out of the remaining choices you've mentioned, I'd go for two of Maths, French or History.

Maths can complement whatever area you want to go into as numercy skills are valued everywhere. Plus Maths nurtures a logical mind (so they say :p: ) and I think it'll be quite useful for law. It is also a nice contrast if you end up taking all essay subjects.

A foreign language is always good, because there are less people taking MFL A levels these days and language skills can come in handy anywhere. If you want to do law you could perhaps combine Law and French (or something), work in France, study French law and so on. Doing a language can improve your communication skills too, which is an asset if you want to go into teaching.

History is apparently the most useful arts subject, because it is well respected & academically rigorous. Through source analysis, it can develop your critical thinking skills (useful for law when you have to trudge through lots of sources). It is also good for boosting essay skills (needed for law again!), and basic analytical skills. English Lit is similar to History though, so if you want you can just choose one or the other.

Personally, I'll go for a combination of Maths, French, History and English Lit (or Economics). Take law if you want to - your preference is the most important thing - but it's not too well respected (so they say). If you only decided to take law because you're thinking of doing law at uni, bear in mind that law A level is not needed at all.
Reply 4
Ditch law and take French, Maths and History.
Reply 5
i think you should do history and french. Both are related to your eng lit and law (essay based) .
Alex_K
Ditch law and take French, Maths and History.

:ditto: Exactly what I was going to say. Incase you don't know, several Universities prefer you not having Law A-level so you can start with a clean slate.
Reply 7
maths.

so you have at least one science subject. and maths is always good. lol.
:ditto: Maths is probably the most versatile A-level :biggrin:
Reply 9
Definately take maths- you're predicted an A* so youre obviously good at it.
Then as a 4th i would take French/Economics/History. Either drop law and take two of these (i would advise this) or only take one. History youre predicted a B, do you think that you could cope with it at A-Level (its a big step up). However it is regarded by some as the best a-level to take in preparation for a law degree.
French would be good MFLs are these days becoming increasingly impressive.
Economics is really interesting and not too difficult but it is very well respected.
But remember for law its more about the grades than the subjects so make sure you take what youre most likely to get the highest grades in.
Reply 10
I'd reccommend one of the following
Maths
French
Economics
History

esp. French... but thats just becasue i'm biased :p:
Reply 11
Well if we are basing things on your predicted grades, History and Maths/French will be absolutely fine. But only do them if you absolutely want to, and not just our words for it. :smile:
For teaching, you only need a National Curriculum subject for pimary or the subject you want to teach (but preferably still National Curriculum) for secondary. For law, you don't need any subjects in particular, but they should be academic and it's good to have a mix of arts and sciences if you can, although it doesn't matter if you don't. The most important thing is to take subjects you enjoy and are good at, but I'd personally go for English lit, maths, French and history, and not just because I did 3 of those :wink: English lit and history are both really good for essay writing and analytical skills, and history is also useful for sources. French is good because modern language A-levels are getting rarer and rarer, so it will impress admissions tutors and employers. Maths is good because it's logical and shows you can do more than just essays. Do law if you want, but you don't need it and admissions tutors don't like it.
Reply 13
Do the ones that are gonna get you the highest grades! Tis true. But yeah, if there all as likely as each other to get you As and Bs then history and a language would be the most respected.
Reply 14
History, English Lit, French and Maths.
Maths and History/French would be the best.
Reply 16
Personally, Maths and History.

Latest

Trending

Trending