The Student Room Group

Jobs and activities advice

Hello everyone,

I'm a second year uni student that lives with parents and commutes (takes around 3 hrs) to uni everyday. I find it kind of difficult to keep up with societies and being committed to friendships, since commuting takes up so much of my time.

I stay at home because it's cheaper and my parents wanted me to stay. Anyway, what would anybody recommend (apart from moving out) for me to do? how do I make the best of my situation?

I would also like to get a job but I've only had two work experiences: charity shop volunteering for 4 months and youth club for one week. Is this enough to put on a CV?

Any ideas would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't allow your lack of experience to prevent you from applying for jobs, everyone has to start somewhere!

I didn't have any experience except for volunteering and I got a job working in a cinema, not the most glamorous of jobs but at least it's a job. If you do end up getting a job you might make friends there and at least you'd have friends at home, even if you don't have loads at uni :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply alphabethised

I started writing up a CV after I read your post, and will search for a job :smile::smile:
I would do a one page CV - that's what they do in the USA. I think your work experience sounds good. Employers tend to like voluntary work, and I like how you've worked in a charity shop. You sound very charitable! You can apply to be a barista, sales assistant, waiter, admin assistant, barman, etc. Companies want people like you; sometimes one is at a disadvantage when they're older and they have too much work experience. Look at societies and clubs that are in your hometown and perhaps join them. Maybe look at volunteering opportunities too. Think about writing your hobbies and interests on your CV and maybe a profile about yourself at the top of your CV. Your profile could start off by saying something like, "My name is Sam Bloggs. I am in my second year of university and currently looking for part time work." Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending