The Student Room Group

Eastern Europe always was more civilized than west?

Anna of Kiev, princess and wife of Henry I of France, in XI century forced French to use cutlery. She also introduced Banya - Finish-Russian original sauna and forced French to have a wash or take a bath at least once a month (at that time, they were doing it only once or twice a year. :eek:

It is the historians-normanists in Romanov era created this dogma of the West being "civilized"

10,000 years ago people in Europe used to eat other people. This shows the defectiveness of the Western civilization - Imperialism , slavery, legalization of pedophilia (Norway+Switzerland) and Verenging MARTIJN (Dutch Pro-Pedophilic political party)

Also Roman Empire was set-up by an ancient Slavic tribe - Etruscans.
Roman customs such as gladiator fights, chariot races and many funeral rites are also of Etruscan origin.

And West now says that Russians are animals :eek::confused:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What did I just read?
Reply 2
Original post by Jibola240
What did I just read?

:biggrin:
What did I just read?

I believe it's known as "bullsh**"

(Just kidding :biggrin:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by futuremedic19
I believe it's known as "bullsh**"

(Just kidding :biggrin:)

no :cool:
Reply 5
The hygiene thing has truth to it. The 'black death' more or less stopped at the border with Russia.
What did I just read?

Well it's either true, false or a bit of both.

Whatever it is, unless you have some point of view about the truth or falseness of what is stated, it's rude of you to take the time to type your brain 'WTF'.
This a History forum- it can cover anything that has ever happened.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Its not even wrong.
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
Well it's either true, false or a bit of both.

Whatever it is, unless you have some point of view about the truth or falseness of what is stated, it's rude of you to take the time to type your brain 'WTF'.
This a History forum- it can cover anything that has ever happened.

Fair point
Reply 9
No Mate, Eastern Europe does have fascinating history behind it (to the extent that Western European History often clouds it out) but nevertheless, Western Europe was just as if not more civilized pre/post Rome.

Also, you can't really argue that Eastern Europe remained more civilized/developed than Western Europe (if it did) for long due to the centralisation of political authority, innovation, re-birth of classical knowledge and economic development in Western Europe which lead to a rapid growth in the West, when the East (particularly Austria, Hungry and Poland) were effectively buffer zones against Ottoman expansionism.
Can we make a new board for all the stupid Jewish conspiracy, nationalist, etc. threads? There are only about a dozen contributors to this forum who have anything interesting to say about History and they are being drowned out by all this dross.
Original post by elohssa
The hygiene thing has truth to it. The 'black death' more or less stopped at the border with Russia.

Did it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

Where do it think the russian border is on the map
Original post by elohssa

UK is still behind on hygiene. People here still dry wipe with toilet paper like its normal.

Use soap n water people.
Original post by Gos123
No Mate, Eastern Europe does have fascinating history behind it (to the extent that Western European History often clouds it out) but nevertheless, Western Europe was just as if not more civilized pre/post Rome.

Also, you can't really argue that Eastern Europe remained more civilized/developed than Western Europe (if it did) for long due to the centralisation of political authority, innovation, re-birth of classical knowledge and economic development in Western Europe which lead to a rapid growth in the West, when the East (particularly Austria, Hungry and Poland) were effectively buffer zones against Ottoman expansionism.

This makes me want to play rome total war, europa universalis and other history games now
Original post by elohssa

Started in Russia....
Reply 15
Original post by ChickenMadness
This makes me want to play rome total war, europa universalis and other history games now

Can't say a blame you. RTW1 was awesome. So are many others :wink:
I know that restarting old threads is against the rules. Nevertheless the OP has some truthful points. Much of the cultural etiquette we get from nations like Russia, Serbia, Balkans etc comes from the Byzantine empire (Eastern Roman Empire). East Slavic tribes and Balts were influenced by Byzantine culture via missionaries trying to spread Orthodox Christianity after the Conquest of the Middle East by the Rashidun and Ummyad Caliphates in the 7th and 8th century AD. Among these cultural values is the Greek-Roman concept of Hygiene which was lost in W. Europe after the Migration period.
Reply 17
Original post by Synapsida
I know that restarting old threads is against the rules. Nevertheless the OP has some truthful points. Much of the cultural etiquette we get from nations like Russia, Serbia, Balkans etc comes from the Byzantine empire (Eastern Roman Empire). East Slavic tribes and Balts were influenced by Byzantine culture via missionaries trying to spread Orthodox Christianity after the Conquest of the Middle East by the Rashidun and Ummyad Caliphates in the 7th and 8th century AD. Among these cultural values is the Greek-Roman concept of Hygiene which was lost in W. Europe after the Migration period.

As a clarification, you are allowed to bump old threads until a few months after the last post. :smile:
Good for eastern Europe/Russia (though not surprising given that we called a period the 'Dark Ages').

None of that changes my attitude towards Russia now though.
Well OP you can't really take a few examples to make your claim that EE was always more civilised than WE...

Quick Reply

Latest