The Student Room Group

quit my tc?

ive just started my third seat and really hate my new seat (boss is an absolute ****ing bitch)

didnt really enjoy it before this but now i hate coming into work every day. every minute seems like an hour

should i just quit?
No, of course you shouldn't. It's a seat. It's temporary. You've just started. Things could get better. Even if you do not stay with this firm after finishing your training contract, the fact that you have completed it opens doors to moving to other firms. You are in a privileged position in even having a training contract. Quitting now so soon into your third seat would be a bad move in practically every respect in my view.

Of course the exception to that is whether or not this experience has put you off a career in law altogether. In which case the advice may well be different.
Original post by J-SP
Is it the firm/working environment, or do you never want to work in any aspect of the legal profession ever again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably both.

I've found it extremely tedious. Endless photocopying, sending out bills, proofreading etc (maybe just my firm?).

I really cannot emphasise how much I detest going into work. 6 months is a long time to wait doing something you hate.
6 months is a long time to wait doing something you hate.

The rest of your life is a long time to regret making a rash decision.

Stick it out, think of it as prison, or punishment for the sins of a past life - but in a year's time you will be qualified and your options will be a lot wider. Even if you move on and then decide you really cannot stand it, at least then you'll have had a proper go at it.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
ive just started my third seat and really hate my new seat (boss is an absolute ****ing bitch)

didnt really enjoy it before this but now i hate coming into work every day. every minute seems like an hour

should i just quit?

What firm, just out of interest?

I understand if you don't want to say, though you can PM me in confidence if you're comfortable doing that.

My advice is you've struggled this long to get into this job, and to get through a year of it. I don't know about the terms of your TC, but you might be on the hook for LPC fees/maintenance/whatever else the firm has paid for on your behalf if you leave now. On top of that, you will have a lot more options as a qualified lawyer.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Probably both.

I've found it extremely tedious. Endless photocopying, sending out bills, proofreading etc (maybe just my firm?).

I really cannot emphasise how much I detest going into work. 6 months is a long time to wait doing something you hate.

Those should be secretarial jobs once you qualify (they should be now too, but seemingly not).

If you're dead set against law, yes. But if you might want to go in house, become a PSL, do something 'semi law' like FCA work, even do legal journalism or the like completing the TC will keep your options open.
Stick it out and get qualified. Anyone who gives you any other advice is giving you a very bad steer.
Reply 7
Six months in NOT a long time to wait when you are doing something that is still reasonably well paid, working in a comfortable environment, building on a career that you've already invested several years of your life into, and which will give you an excellent and flexible qualification when you finish.

I had good seats and bad seats. Sometimes you just need to tolerate the bad ones, and it's nearly always down to the people you're working for/with, rather than the actual work itself. So given that's exactly what will change at the end of your seat, it's worth sticking it out.
Reply 8
If you hate it now, you will hate it even more later. People dream about becoming a "city lawyer" but remember that city lawyers and bankers are on the top of the list of people who commit suicides or become alcoholics. So, if you hate it now, do not bother.
Original post by sumiukas
If you hate it now, you will hate it even more later. People dream about becoming a "city lawyer" but remember that city lawyers and bankers are on the top of the list of people who commit suicides or become alcoholics. So, if you hate it now, do not bother.

Ignore this advice, stick it out for another six months and then see where you want to go. If you drop out of a training contract I would imagine that it would be very difficult to get another - recruiters will see it as a failure of character: when the going got tough you got going (in the wrong direction).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending