The Student Room Group

First month at the gym, advice for the second?

Hello everyone :3
heres my story
i started at the gym on 30th january with a friend because i was worried about my weight (8 stone on the point) and i was self concious about my t-rex arms (tiny bony arms)
ive since just hit 9 stone, and my biceps are a little bigger, abs are coming out, chest and triceps as well as calfs and quads have also started to grow

i was wondering if anyone here has any tips for me?
i take syntha-6 protein supplements as off since saturday, and i go to the gym 4 days a week, monday wednesday, friday and saturday
We do
leg, shoulders and traps day
arms and back day
chest and triceps day

hit one day twice a week depending on what day monday is

my strengh gains are
started on
15kg bench press (now on 30)
4 kg shoudler press - now 8kg
4kg bicep curls - 10kg curls
2 dips - 5 sets of ten
2 sets of twenty sit ups on one of those decline thingys, 20 leg raises - 2 sets of 100 sit ups, 60 leg raises, knee ups etc
they are the main gains, as well as increase in muscle size

so for a noob, any good advice out there?
Keep eating more and keep lifting more weight.
Reply 2
Original post by e aí rapaz
Keep eating more and keep lifting more weight.

i can lift heavier weights but i cant do more than 8/10 reps with good form so i dont see the point of lifting very heavy stuff
and yeah i eat tons, mainly chicken, banana, stuff like that
Original post by Jory
i can lift heavier weights but i cant do more than 8/10 reps with good form so i dont see the point of lifting very heavy stuff
and yeah i eat tons, mainly chicken, banana, stuff like that

I'm talking about progressive overload

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet11.htm
Reply 4
I'm talking about progressive overload

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet11.htm

ahhh makes sense, normally when i complete my sets fully on a certain weight i move up a tier and try completing the sets, when i fail, i move back down and continue like that
should i just do less reps but heavier weight?
Hi, I'm 18 and my Maximum lifts are Bench: 100kg, Squat 90kg and Deadlift 150kg. I've been training for one and a half years , tried nearly every method. My diets went from heavy super unhealthy bulking to calorie restriction tracked in excel charts; I did alot, read alot,... .

What my expirience boils down to:

- most of what you are told on the internet about training is garbage. any fitness model, powerlifter, natural bodybuilder, bodybuilder or youtube fitness star are juicing like there is no tomorrow.
the more or less only page on the internet ive found that gives really helpful advice is

http://nattyornot.com/

I HIGHLY recommend reading a few articles there since it will help you getting a general understaing of training for natural athletes, diets, supplementation etc. .

Kind regards

Edit: read that you take proteinpowder, i took 8 different suplements before I realized there was no need to.
This img summerizes basicly what u need to know about supplements:

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by afewthoughts
Hi, I'm 18 and my Maximum lifts are Bench: 100kg, Squat 90kg and Deadlift 150kg. I've been training for one and a half years , tried nearly every method. My diets went from heavy super unhealthy bulking to calorie restriction tracked in excel charts; I did alot, read alot,... .

- most of what you are told on the internet about training is garbage. any fitness model, powerlifter, natural bodybuilder, bodybuilder or youtube fitness star are juicing like there is no tomorrow.
the more or less only page on the internet ive found that gives really helpful advice is

I HIGHLY recommend reading a few articles there since it will help you getting a general understaing of training for natural athletes, diets, supplementation etc. .

Kind regards

How many times per week do you train and what do you do each day?
Original post by anonwinner
How many times per week do you train and what do you do each day?

5 times a week, back then school now university.
Reply 8

Kind regards

Edit: read that you take proteinpowder, i took 8 different suplements before I realized there was no need to.

That's a horrible site. All he does is criticise others and whine about how he has poor genetics without even suggesting good routines to use. If you use that site all you'll learn is that your genetics can doom you and you can't do anything about it so you may as well lift like women. Do not advise people to go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
That's a horrible site. All he does is criticise others and whine about how he has poor genetics without even suggesting good routines to use. If you use that site all you'll learn is that your genetics can doom you and you can't do anything about it so you may as well lift like women. Do not advise people to go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fitness industry is full of lies and illusions, and the author writes about the unspoken truths, which is defenitly helpful. apart from training tips you also find that the general message behind most of the articles is:

99% people making money with fitness are juicing
juicing is bad
Progress comes just not as fast as they promise when taking their costy supplements or doing their routines
keep training and don't train dumb because without tren,dbol etc training routines look different.

Criticze others; ofc he does, he prevents people from racing after phantomphysiqes that are simply unachievable without performance enhancing drugs. => get realistic with your goals.

If you can only get the information out of the stuff he writes that poor genetics => no gains, better read more...

My other tip is, you are a juicing fitness model being pissed about the existance of the page.:biggrin:

Peace
(edited 9 years ago)

Kind regards

You sound kind of bitter. OP, don't listen to this guy. "They laugh about those proteins and stuff" - besides the laughable English - do you really think people on AAS don't take protein supplements too? The whole thing is a mess tbh. I suppose that if you look at a bunch of juicing professionals and really believe you can achieve that naturally, then yes, it will be a shock to you when you find out it's not that easy. But most people with half a brain already know that anyway.

Original post by Jory
ahhh makes sense, normally when i complete my sets fully on a certain weight i move up a tier and try completing the sets, when i fail, i move back down and continue like that
should i just do less reps but heavier weight?

You shouldn't be moving back down in most cases. If you're eating well and progressing either the weight or reps in a sensible way, you shouldn't be failing anyway, not while you're so new to lifting. I would suggest reading (and using) a proper, established routine. It will tell you how many sets and reps to do, how much to increase the weight by and how often, and what to do when you do eventually fail. Take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757&p=52097275#post52097275
You sound kind of bitter. OP, don't listen to this guy. "They laugh about those proteins and stuff" - besides the laughable English - do you really think people on AAS don't take protein supplements too? The whole thing is a mess tbh. I suppose that if you look at a bunch of juicing professionals and really believe you can achieve that naturally, then yes, it will be a shock to you when you find out it's not that easy. But most people with half a brain already know that anyway.

well just trying to help, and I`'m not bitter I just see through stuff. What I'm saying is, since when you start you kinda get dragged into the gym thing and overwhelmed by that, dont be fooled by unuseful expensive supplementation nor by wrong training methods. not everything that shines is gold.

And not everyone is native speaker...

do you really think people on AAS don't take protein supplements too?

I do really believe that. Since they can eat whatever tf they like, they go for vast ammounts of fast food.
(edited 9 years ago)

You lost the right to an opinion when you bench more than you squat.

Quick Reply

Latest