The Student Room Group

Need to have a rant (tuition fees)...

Okay I just think the current tuition fees system is so unfair. I receive the minimum amount of student loan which doesn't even cover my accomodation costs, my hard working parents have to give me money just to keep me alive, I'm an adult I hate having to leech off of them just to get an education. Yet then I have friends who receive max student loan and bursaries, they can afford to live like a king/queen while I'm scraping pennies out my pockets to pay for a meal. One of them is saving her bursary money for a holiday over summer and a boob job next year. One of my guy friends already had a laptop etc. for Uni and has just bought a MacBook and is planning a 2 month trip to Asia over summer. Where as as soon as I get home I'll have to work my arse off so I can scrape by next year. I just had to have a rant about it, can't deal.

Scroll to see replies

PM me, I'm sure we can come to some sort of mutually beneficial relationship (I mean agreement) to keep you financially stable :holmes:
Reply 2
Original post by shiva300
Okay I just think the current tuition fees system is so unfair. I receive the minimum amount of student loan which doesn't even cover my accomodation costs, my hard working parents have to give me money just to keep me alive, I'm an adult I hate having to leech off of them just to get an education. Yet then I have friends who receive max student loan and bursaries, they can afford to live like a king/queen while I'm scraping pennies out my pockets to pay for a meal. One of them is saving her bursary money for a holiday over summer and a boob job next year. One of my guy friends already had a laptop etc. for Uni and has just bought a MacBook and is planning a 2 month trip to Asia over summer. Where as as soon as I get home I'll have to work my arse off so I can scrape by next year. I just had to have a rant about it, can't deal.

ill be receiving close to minimum accommodation loan but I've had a job since 16 so I have a fair bit of money.

did you ever have a job?
It's really unfair and doesn't take Into account other factors. Us middle class are penalised for working hard and playing by the rules
Reply 4
Original post by Uberphuq
ill be receiving close to minimum accommodation loan but I've had a job since 16 so I have a fair bit of money.

did you ever have a job?

yes I have worked since I was 16 and have some money saved but i'd like to keep that for the future when I want to pay a deposit on a flat or something. I don't have time to work while I'm in uni but I do work 15 hours a week minimum while I'm at home during holidays. I just don't think the current system is fair tbh, I can barely survive on the money i'm given, I tell my parents im okay because I feel guilty for taking their money.
Reply 5
Original post by Jake Cotton
PM me, I'm sure we can come to some sort of mutually beneficial relationship (I mean agreement) to keep you financially stable :holmes:

oh right hahaha
Reply 6
yes I have worked since I was 16 and have some money saved but i'd like to keep that for the future when I want to pay a deposit on a flat or something. I don't have time to work while I'm in uni but I do work 15 hours a week minimum while I'm at home during holidays. I just don't think the current system is fair tbh, I can barely survive on the money i'm given, I tell my parents im okay because I feel guilty for taking their money.

And you feel guilty for taking their money because?

youve taken their money for the past 18 years or so of your life, what's different now?
Reply 7
Original post by neal95
It's really unfair and doesn't take Into account other factors. Us middle class are penalised for working hard and playing by the rules

exactly! my parents have worked their as*es off their whole lives so why should they be forced to pay for me to live when others don't.
Reply 8
Original post by Uberphuq
And you feel guilty for taking their money because?

youve taken their money for the past 18 years or so of your life, what's different now?

Because they've always provided me with everything they possibly could, I'm an adult now and I shouldn't still be draining their money. (I'm 20 btw.)
exactly! my parents have worked their as*es off their whole lives so why should they be forced to pay for me to live when others don't.

Same, yet it's biased against us. For example my accommodation at uni is 7000+ and I only entitled to not even 5000 so I have to rely on my mum to pay a substantial amount and I will have to work all summer when the rest of my friends will be enjoying their summer back from uni travelling or what not. One person I know is even budgeting on buying a car at the end of their 3 years due to the amount of loan they get which they are currently saving! They will probably never have to go into their overdraft either where as I am sure at some point over the 3 years I will need to
Original post by neal95
Same, yet it's biased against us. For example my accommodation at uni is 7000+ and I only entitled to not even 5000 so I have to rely on my mum to pay a substantial amount and I will have to work all summer when the rest of my friends will be enjoying their summer back from uni travelling or what not. One person I know is even budgeting on buying a car at the end of their 3 years due to the amount of loan they get which they are currently saving! They will probably never have to go into their overdraft either where as I am sure at some point over the 3 years I will need to

Youre accomdation is 7000+ ? Is this because you chose an ensuite with catered and loads of other add ons? Like... You don't just get a 7 grand halls outta nowhere bud
Because they've always provided me with everything they possibly could, I'm an adult now and I shouldn't still be draining their money. (I'm 20 btw.)

Hmm... Tough one... Don't vote for conservative
Reply 12
Original post by neal95

yep, exactly how I feel:frown: I only get £3610 I think per year for living, my accomodation alone is over £5k

It's a disgrace when you're struggling to pay tuition and living fees and someone else is getting funding to make herself look like a whore.

A sad state of affairs.
My exact problem with uni, its so unfair on hard working parents who have already put much more into the system than the parents of the working class students (who get huge loans). I'll be comfortably off at uni because my parents are paying my accommodation but I don't thing they should have to. How is it fair that some people from good backgrounds have to work at university when people from poor backgrounds don't have to do anything? It really sickens me if I'm honest.
I have a friend who has next to no income in her house, so she get's the maximum bursary and student loan and has bought herself all sorts of gadgets, clothes, eaten take away almost every night and generally spends her money on all sorts of crap. Also, despite having a low income in her home, her mother gives her money when she can and she has stated that she doesn't plan on working during her time in university as she hates the idea of it.
I've been looking to get a job for months and receive the minimum bursary. My step mum had a high paying job which meant that the household income was quite large (She has decided to work elsewhere, so that income will decrease).

It irritates me so much that what we are given is dependent on what our parents earn. It's not as if they're going to pay everything for us, it's THEIR money. I hate the assumption that just because our parents earn as much as they do that it will automatically be handed to us.
Reply 16
Original post by Archintella
I have a friend who has next to no income in her house, so she get's the maximum bursary and student loan and has bought herself all sorts of gadgets, clothes, eaten take away almost every night and generally spends her money on all sorts of crap. Also, despite having a low income in her home, her mother gives her money when she can and she has stated that she doesn't plan on working during her time in university as she hates the idea of it.
I've been looking to get a job for months and receive the minimum bursary. My step mum had a high paying job which meant that the household income was quite large (She has decided to work elsewhere, so that income will decrease).

It irritates me so much that what we are given is dependent on what our parents earn. It's not as if they're going to pay everything for us, it's THEIR money. I hate the assumption that just because our parents earn as much as they do that it will automatically be handed to us.

eugh yep, exactly:frown: my parents shouldn't have to be funding my life still when others are rolling in it, when their parents have probably paid thousands less in tax...
I get a decent amount of money, it isn't my fault I receive a lot, so why criticise the parents and the student for getting a fair amount of money? We didn't create the system nor do we necessarily support it. Plus, not all of us are selfish, I help my boyfriend out frequently as he doesn't get enough to cover his accommodation.

Isn't aimed at you OP, just a lot of comments in general.
I totally understand where all you guys are coming from, because I think we should all get the same bursary amount, but it just isn't economically viable and taxes would have to go up or something would have to give, so we're never going to win.

I come at this from the opposite side to you, I have a well off father who I don't get along with and don't live with or even see very often, he doesn't really contribute at all. I live with my mum who is currently off sick long term from work due to an ongoing back injury (she works in care so she pulled her back at work - she has had a major operation years ago and work made it all reverse and so she is back to square one) and after working all her life she is so frustrated. I also live with my grandma who is on a state pension. Because of this I get the full amount of student grant and bursary, but there is no way my parents could even contribute to me living at university if they wanted to, because the financial constraints won't let them.

I don't think university should just be for the rich anymore, these grants and loans allow the people who cannot rely on their parents for money to get an education, and I don't think some of the very intelligent but working class people should be denied a university education just because they have no money.

One day these people who got the full grants and loans will give back to society and will end this ongoing cycle, but you and I know that you have to give a little extra help to those who need it the most in order to not exclude them from the opportunities the middle and upper class get.

Just because I was born into this situation does not mean that I am less entitled to a university education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
eugh yep, exactly:frown: my parents shouldn't have to be funding my life still when others are rolling in it, when their parents have probably paid thousands less in tax...

I know, huh? It's honestly ridiculous. I few years ago my family had financial issues, but by working hard we were able to overcome it.

This girl contributes nothing to her household. I mean, not even the crazy amount of money she is given.
Yet when I have a job I will have to pay diggs, and gladly, because if I'm living under my parent's roof it's the least I can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending