The Student Room Group

Prefect Application URGENT!

My prefect application needs to be submitted tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could check it quickly, it would be such a great help!

Dear Ms -------- ,
I am writing to you to convey my interest for the position as a prefect in Year 11. Throughout my time here so far, I feel that the school has provided me with so much and I would love the chance to contribute back to the school. I believe that I have developed a variety of skills, as well as my confidence, over the past four years and I really think that the role of a prefect will allow me to really develop these skills further, whilst gaining some new skills.
When I joined the school, I was quite shy and wasn’t very confident in myself, but I feel as I have gone through the years at school I have really developed my self-confidence and tried new things that I wouldn’t have when I joined. I feel that my willingness to participate in school activities would help me suit the role of a prefect, as I am an enthusiastic person. I have really enjoyed helping out during events like Open Evening, Parent’s Evening and Curriculum Evening, as I feel that there’s something good that comes with helping someone else. Another role that I have really enjoyed taking on this year was being a Sound Technician for assemblies, as not only did I gain a new skill but it was also nice to experience the variety of roles that people can take on.
Throughout my time here, I have kept a high standard of uniform, attendance and punctuality, by never receiving a uniform slip, late slip or detention, which I believe makes me a good role model for the rest of the school. I feel like I have a good track record of contribution to the school. In Year 8, I was a Form Captain and in Year 9, I got the opportunity to become a Buddy, which involved helping new students settle in the school. I really enjoyed mentoring the younger students, especially when I got the chance to help some of them read, and felt that I had achieved something at the end of this. I also had the chance to take part in the Eco-Committee, and I am really passionate about the work they do to help improve our school environment, as well as locally. I am also currently taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme, where I have got the chance to volunteer at the Brownies that I used to attend and have gained my Bronze Leadership Award. I am currently working on a Climate Change project for my Silver Leadership Award, which will help to raise awareness about the issues.
I currently attend piano classes, dance classes, the School Magazine and Badminton Club weekly. Outside of school, I have got the chance to be a representative on my local community panel and helped out at several different work places, where I have matured my skills dramatically.
One of the main experiences that I have loved during my time at ---------------has been being a representative on the School Council for the past two years. This year I was elected to be the Chair of the School Council, and whilst I have faced some challenges with this role, I have really developed my skills in terms of organisation, leadership and creativity. I am always willing to learn and improve. I love the fact that we are able to organise events, like the Senior Citizens Party and Red Nose Day, that not only help improve the school but our wider community. I feel like this is a good example of my commitment and shows that I can work with others, as well as independently.
I really appreciate the idea that small actions can make large impacts, and I feel like this is something I strive towards in life. I would like to be someone that makes an impact on people’s lives and I feel like becoming a prefect, although it is only a small step, will help me to do this.
Thank you greatly for taking the time to read my application.
Yours sincerely,

Sarina Shah
Original post by sarinaa_
My prefect application needs to be submitted tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could check it quickly, it would be such a great help!

Dear Ms -------- ,
I am writing to you to convey my interest for the position as a prefect in Year 11. Throughout my time here so far, I feel that the school has provided me with so much and I would love the chance to contribute back to the school. I believe that I have developed a variety of skills, as well as my confidence, over the past four years and I really think that the role of a prefect will allow me to really develop these skills further, whilst gaining some new skills.
When I joined the school, I was quite shy and wasn’t very confident in myself, but I feel as I have gone through the years at school I have really developed my self-confidence and tried new things that I wouldn’t have when I joined. I feel that my willingness to participate in school activities would help me suit the role of a prefect, as I am an enthusiastic person. I have really enjoyed helping out during events like Open Evening, Parent’s Evening and Curriculum Evening, as I feel that there’s something good that comes with helping someone else. Another role that I have really enjoyed taking on this year was being a Sound Technician for assemblies, as not only did I gain a new skill but it was also nice to experience the variety of roles that people can take on.
Throughout my time here, I have kept a high standard of uniform, attendance and punctuality, by never receiving a uniform slip, late slip or detention, which I believe makes me a good role model for the rest of the school. I feel like I have a good track record of contribution to the school. In Year 8, I was a Form Captain and in Year 9, I got the opportunity to become a Buddy, which involved helping new students settle in the school. I really enjoyed mentoring the younger students, especially when I got the chance to help some of them read, and felt that I had achieved something at the end of this. I also had the chance to take part in the Eco-Committee, and I am really passionate about the work they do to help improve our school environment, as well as locally. I am also currently taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme, where I have got the chance to volunteer at the Brownies that I used to attend and have gained my Bronze Leadership Award. I am currently working on a Climate Change project for my Silver Leadership Award, which will help to raise awareness about the issues.
I currently attend piano classes, dance classes, the School Magazine and Badminton Club weekly. Outside of school, I have got the chance to be a representative on my local community panel and helped out at several different work places, where I have matured my skills dramatically.
One of the main experiences that I have loved during my time at ---------------has been being a representative on the School Council for the past two years. This year I was elected to be the Chair of the School Council, and whilst I have faced some challenges with this role, I have really developed my skills in terms of organisation, leadership and creativity. I am always willing to learn and improve. I love the fact that we are able to organise events, like the Senior Citizens Party and Red Nose Day, that not only help improve the school but our wider community. I feel like this is a good example of my commitment and shows that I can work with others, as well as independently.
I really appreciate the idea that small actions can make large impacts, and I feel like this is something I strive towards in life. I would like to be someone that makes an impact on people’s lives and I feel like becoming a prefect, although it is only a small step, will help me to do this.
Thank you greatly for taking the time to read my application.
Yours sincerely,

Sarina Shah

Really good application, I would change 'interest for' to 'interest in'. Also, 'thank you greatly' sounds odd. You can either say thank you or 'greatly appreciated' as it is usually used in that context. Don't write that becoming a prefect is a small step. It diminishes your point. Use connectives like 'Furthermore' to make your application flow as you have begun many of your sentences with 'I'.
Other than that, it seems as though you have been making the most of your school experience. Good luck in your application.

Quick Reply

Latest