The Student Room Group

After HND applied biology - top up degree or employment? What jobs? What course next?

Hi
I'm doing a HND in applied biology starting September this year. I wondered what kind of jobs would be available to me from completing the hnd?

Would I be better off doing the HND then going straight into employment for a couple years, then going for a top up to a full degree Or doing the hnd and a 3rd year entry top up straight away after?

Also if I completed a hnd in applied biology, what kinds of courses woukd be likely to accept me for 3rd year entry?
I have heard of people going on to biomedical science and biological science after the hnd.

Would a decently ranking uni/center of excellence (like southampton) be likely to accept someone onto a biology BSc 3rd year entry after completing a hnd in applied biology?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by l14muk
Hi
I'm doing a HND in applied biology starting September this year. I wondered what kind of jobs would be available to me from completing the hnd?

Would I be better off doing the HND then going straight into employment for a couple years, then going for a top up to a full degree Or doing the hnd and a 3rd year entry top up straight away after?

Also if I completed a hnd in applied biology, what kinds of courses woukd be likely to accept me for 3rd year entry?
I have heard of people going on to biomedical science and biological science after the hnd.

Would a decently ranking uni/center of excellence (like southampton) be likely to accept someone onto a biology BSc 3rd year entry after completing a hnd in applied biology?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Is a HNC the first year of a HND or separate?

And yes you can top up? Better to top up I think, depends on your a-levels
Reply 2
Yeah it's a 2 year course, 1st year is HNC and 2nd year is HND.

And no A levels, but I do have a Access to HE in forensic science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
Yeah it's a 2 year course, 1st year is HNC and 2nd year is HND.

And no A levels, but I do have a Access to HE in forensic science

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought if you have an Access you can go straight to uni with the Access?
Reply 4
Original post by elmosandy
I thought if you have an Access you can go straight to uni with the Access?

You can, I have been accepted into all five of my choices.

But the HND is equivalent to a foundation degree or the first two years of a uni degree, but 70% practical work in lab instead of mainly lecture theatre like uni. Bournemouth uni and Brighton uni would allow me to join in the 3rd year of the courses I want, so I would still spend 3 years studying undergraduate and still leave with a full degree, but my cv would show HNC and HND also.

This path will save me 6k also. And I am required to find a placement along side the HND so cv would show 2 years lab work experience :smile:
And to top it all off, all the lessons are in 2 full time days instead of scattered all over the week like at uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Anyone here done a HND in biology?
Reply 6
Hi, im intrestest in doing the HND Applied biology course too for Sep 2015 but worried about the progression after the course.

You mentioned that two universities would accept you in to 3rd year after doing the HND course. Could you please tell me what these degree courses will be.

As I am looking to do a top up degree in a biology/medical sciences related degree.
Your reply will be very useful to me for making decisions.
Thank you.
Reply 7
We have been advised that BioMed at Brighton and Biological Science at Bournemouth are likely to accept you, as they have done with previous students completing the course.

If you do HND Applied Biology, where would you be doing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
All the above is correct I am about to start the second year at Poole. I know last years students are now starting year three at Brighton and Bournemouth university's
Hi, I know its been a year since you have done your top-up degree but how was it compared to the HND and if you moved out did you find suitable accommodation. Reason I am asking is because I will be doing a top-up in a few weeks.
Don't know if this is still relevant or not I would suggest doing a top up or 2nd year in biomed from HNC/HND applied biology as it is widely recognised and would have better pay and could be used in different fields within the science industry or you could go further for a master/PgDip. although this is just my opinion

I'm currently studying HNC applied biology either I'm going to continue onto HND applied biology and try to get onto 3rd year of biomed or do the HNC applied biology and get onto year 2 biomed
Reply 11
Hi there, I am also going to do level 4 in applied biology, then I would carry on a degree level with the OU in Health Science degree. I think I can jump into their second or third year. It's a better opportunity to people who already work/involve in the Health Care or science field. I am working as a support worker with the NHS and looking to adapt my wirk route as a laboratory assistant or Pharmacy dispenser, only because the more experience I gain during Higher education level 4, it is probably the better outlook in my CV. But, I am prefer a laboratory tech, still seeking for an opportunity it will be tough but, I only live one!

Quick Reply

Latest