The Student Room Group

CIE Further Math?

Hello guys I was just wondering if I should take up the Further Math for my AL exams. I am currently in AS and I didn't really take it up because I wasn't sure of how hard the Math this year would be in comparison to GCSEs & the fact that Further Math from CIE is only for AL exams. I found that I am doing pretty decently in Math & enjoying it very much. Do you think it's possible for me to start studying it in summer for the 2016 examinations and aim for an A/A*? By the looks of the past paper, it seems a lot harder than AS, at the very least.
Also I am doing Pure Math 1 and Mechanics 1 this year (CIE has a different syllabus on components compared to Edexcel) & plan on doing P3 & Statistics 1 next year. Should I start learning statistics now for aiming for Further Math?
Or shall I try doing Edexcel? (My school does CIE)
Syllabus:
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/202925-2016-syllabus.pdf

Thanks ^_^
*bump*
Original post by Coloneltreavy
*bump*

If your school does CIE then there's no point doing Edexcel. Study for the relevant Further Maths components for CIE FM.

Can your school support you in Further Maths?
Original post by danconway
If your school does CIE then there's no point doing Edexcel. Study for the relevant Further Maths components for CIE FM.

Can your school support you in Further Maths?

Further Math in CIE has all the components. You can't choose.

I think if I ask & get 3-4 people from my grade to sign up for it next year, it might be possible but they just might decline me. I can still get somewhat of help from my dad who's a mechanical engineer but not sure if that would be sufficient.
Original post by Coloneltreavy
Further Math in CIE has all the components. You can't choose.

I think if I ask & get 3-4 people from my grade to sign up for it next year, it might be possible but they just might decline me. I can still get somewhat of help from my dad who's a mechanical engineer but not sure if that would be sufficient.

Yes, I'd be very careful embarking on a Further Mathematics course without adequate support. Is FM necessary for whatever you want to do afterwards?
Original post by danconway
Yes, I'd be very careful embarking on a Further Mathematics course without adequate support. Is FM necessary for whatever you want to do afterwards?

I want to go for Electronics Engineering. Not sure if it's necessary, though. I generally have a strong interest in Math so I thought maybe I should give it a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending