The Student Room Group

Woman dresses up her son as Christian Grey for World Book Day.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/50-shades-grey-world-book-8782981

I'm on the fence with this at the moment. Of course it is pretty wrong to dress a child up as a character from an 'erotic novel' (I hate calling 50 Shades that). It's pretty inappropriate and WTF.

Another side of me asks if it's just the child who is to blame and if it's actually wrong. One important point is it was THE STUDENT who chose to dress as the character. In a high school you aren't gonna get kids wanting to dress up like The Cat in the Hat or The Gruffalo. High School age kids will be more interested in what adults are watching. Society has also become increasingly sexualised and nobody could have gotten away from the 50 Shades of Grey hype, so it's obvious that some children might check out the trailer on the Internet or read the book. Of course it's a high school we're talking about too... so it's obvious that the kid will eventually hear about the book/film (unless they are living under a rock). If the parent discusses and educates their kids on what is happening then why then is it bad? It's better than just screaming how inappropriate the film is to them.

One of the teachers did go dressed as Dexter Morgan too so why shouldn't a high school kid go dressed up as Christian Grey?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
It'd be understandable if he was being excluded for picking such an appallingly written book, after all World Book Day isn't meant to be about celebrating trashy fanfic novels. But being excluded because it's a bit of a risqué character seems silly and oversensitive, given it's a secondary school.
Reply 2
Original post by Dez
It'd be understandable if he was being excluded for picking such an appallingly written book, after all World Book Day isn't meant to be about celebrating trashy fanfic novels. But being excluded because it's a bit of a risqué character seems silly and oversensitive, given it's a secondary school.

Instead maybe the topics in the book could have been used to promote discussion in the classroom about relationships, sex, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Terrible parenting, stupid decision.
Reply 4
mmmm i think the school overeacted. back in my day we dressed us as Aliens, Terminator, Predator. those are violent films.
Reply 5
Original post by GodAtum
mmmm i think the school overeacted. back in my day we dressed us as Aliens, Terminator, Predator. those are violent films.

OMG. The Terminator and Aliens were the first 18+ films I were allowed to watch. Back in the day you either caught things on VHS or stayed up too late and caught films on TV. Good memories lol.

You dressed as Ripley or the Xenomorph? The Xenomorph must have been a difficult costume :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I had a Xenomorph costume from Toys R Us i think. I even had an Alien toy, like WTF, that'll never happen today!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by GodAtum
I even had an Alien toy, like WTF, that'll never happen today!

There were plans for a Aliens cartoon, but it never happened. There were plans for a Buffy cartoon too. Those would never even be suggested in the boardroom even today!

The Toxic Crusader is a really good example. A kids cartoon based on an ultra violent Troma b-movie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is some seriously awful parenting, I don't even know how the mother thought that was even vaguely acceptable for their child.
To be honest it's basically just a suit. Are they implying he's read it/she read it to him? I doubt an 11 year old would be interested in this.

100% guarantee the school excluded him because they're worried people will think they sex up school children. I think the real question is why did he want to go as him? Would he really be interested in romance plot? If it was me I'd want to go an as action hero or something.

But yeah, dressing up as Christian Grey is wrong, but Dexter is fine? That makes no sense. Thankfully the school got their comeuppance by this getting plastered all over the news.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending