The Student Room Group

Public vs Grammar vs Comprehensive

Poll

choose

Which one out of the choices would you prefer your child to attend if you were really wealthy e.g. Easily earning over £100,000 yearly? What are the main differences between a public school/sixth form and a grammar school/sixth form. Which out of the 2 do you think performs, on average, the best in the UK?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raymat
Which one out of the choices would you prefer your child to attend if you were really wealthy e.g. Easily earning over £100,000 yearly? What are the main differences between a public school/sixth form and a grammar school/sixth form. Which out of the 2 do you think performs, on average, the best in the UK?

I'd probably go with a public school because I feel the quality of education and the emphasis on education is greater. I wouldn't do boarding though, because I wouldn't want my child to think I don't love them.
Original post by callum_law
I'd probably go with a public school because I feel the quality of education and the emphasis on education is greater. I wouldn't do boarding though, because I wouldn't want my child to think I don't love them.

That's funny, wouldn't you get the same from a grammar school/sixth form though?
Original post by Raymat
That's funny, wouldn't you get the same from a grammar school/sixth form though?

I am not sure you would. There are certainly some sixth forms which are great and there are some which aren't great of which I have experience. I anticipate that most public schools would exist in the former category. Perhaps grammar schools do provide the same level of quality, I cannot comment. Perhaps if they are at grammar schools, they'd mix with people who aren't spoilt little ****s and have the same academic drive as those attending public schools.

Hmm, come back to me.
Some people think that sending their kids to a top state school or a top/posh private school will make the kids smarter because of the smaller class size and teacher/pupil contact time. That is not the case. My parents have friends who co own a business that is doing very well. Before we moved my sister was in school with one couple's son (same class) and when we moved to our new school she was in a class with the other couple's daughter. The first couple took their son out of the primary school and put him a very expensive and high performing private school. Poor kid hated it there because he was not as clever as the other kids and just could not keep up with the workload and nightly homework. He lasted about six months before going back to the local primary school. I have heard of plenty more cases like that as well.

I would like my kids to go to a top school but I have no problem with them going to the state schools either.
I am not sure you would. There are certainly some sixth forms which are great and there are some which aren't great of which I have experience. I anticipate that most public schools would exist in the former category. Perhaps grammar schools do provide the same level of quality, I cannot comment. Perhaps if they are at grammar schools, they'd mix with people who aren't spoilt little ****s and have the same academic drive as those attending public schools.

Hmm, come back to me.

I've added a poll by the way. Make a vote, I want to see people's opinions. Thanks :smile:.
Original post by Raymat
I've added a poll by the way. Make a vote, I want to see people's opinions. Thanks :smile:.

What's your opinion on this?

Also, generally, where did people study?
What's your opinion on this?

Also, generally, where did people study?

I would actually send my child to a grammar school as it's the best compromise. The learning environment would be very good as the high selectivity would mean a population of dedicated students (hopefully!) so my child could excel in education without me having to spend so much on them. If my child failed in the selection process I would send them to a public school. One great thing about public schools is the networking.

Most people go comprehensive schools which is basically the ordinary school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamjamjamT
Some people think that sending their kids to a top state school or a top/posh private school will make the kids smarter because of the smaller class size and teacher/pupil contact time. That is not the case. My parents have friends who co own a business that is doing very well. Before we moved my sister was in school with one couple's son (same class) and when we moved to our new school she was in a class with the other couple's daughter. The first couple took their son out of the primary school and put him a very expensive and high performing private school. Poor kid hated it there because he was not as clever as the other kids and just could not keep up with the workload and nightly homework. He lasted about six months before going back to the local primary school. I have heard of plenty more cases like that as well.

I would like my kids to go to a top school but I have no problem with them going to the state schools either.

When you say top school which do you mean; public or grammar and which out of the 2 would you prefer?
I would visit one of each and decide which school I felt produced the least arrogant pupils while still maintaining high results/a wide range of opportunities. Quality of teaching is obviously key, but a feeling of support in the school leadership would also be important to me.

So ideally an amazing grammar/comprehensive as you'd obviously not have to pay fees but I would be open to all.

There are stereotypes for each of these schools about what kind of people go to them and they should be ignored as every school is different.

There are some amazing comprehensives and I am sure there must be some awful grammar schools too. Likewise some brilliant public schools and others which are horrible.

I go to a grammar school so I may be bias though?
Original post by Comeback
I would visit one of each and decide which school I felt produced the least arrogant pupils while still maintaining high results/a wide range of opportunities. Quality of teaching is obviously key, but a feeling of support in the school leadership would also be important to me.

So ideally an amazing grammar/comprehensive as you'd obviously not have to pay fees but I would be open to all.

There are stereotypes for each of these schools about what kind of people go to them and they should be ignored as every school is different.

There are some amazing comprehensives and I am sure there must be some awful grammar schools too. Likewise some brilliant public schools and others which are horrible.

I go to a grammar school so I may be bias though?

How is your grammar school? Do you wish you went to a comprehensive school?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
How is your grammar school. Do you wish you went to a comprehensive school?

Well I think my school is very good and I'm very proud to be a part of it, but I might've said the same thing had I gone elsewhere.

I don't wish I went to a comprehensive because I think the best teachers generally try and go to grammar schools. This is because I think that they tend to (I am generalising here) have pupils who, due to more support at home, tend to be more interested and more academically able. Had I gone elsewhere I could've encountered more disruptive classes, or been taught by teachers who were less ambitious or of a high quality.

That being said, there are some amazing comprehensives out there so I am not trying to offend people who go there.
BOARDING SCHOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I attended a public, selective grammar school and a comprehensive school previously. The two schools were worlds apart, the differences were vast. My experience has taught me a very important lesson, and that is to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, send a child to a comprehensive school because generally speaking, these types of schools tend to attract vast numbers of people who come from low social class backgrounds. We're talking about thugs and all kinds of bratty teenagers, people who bully others, people who abuse teachers, people who disrupt the class environment. I have to be fair however, because the quality of the teaching at my comprehensive school was very good, it wouldn't be fair of me to take issue with that. However, my experience there has scarred me for life and has left me utterly bitter and very hateful towards delinquent children from low social classes who come to school to bully people, abuse teachers and disrupt learning. These juvenile delinquents need to be segregated and sent to special schools where they won't be able to ruin the school experience for civilised people who actually want to get something out of school.

My experience at the grammar school was exemplary, I cannot think of a single negative experience during my years there. Immediately I was able to see a huge difference in the standards of achievement, behaviour and civility. I can't emphasise just how vast the difference was between the two schools that I attended.

I'm happy to say that I've learned a very important life lesson. Comprehensive schools must be avoided like the plague. I feel very strongly on this topic, I have immense hatred for misbehaved schoolkids. I hate them with a passion, with every fibre of my being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Comprehensive because the other 2 are filled with toffs who don't live in the real world and would get their heads kicked in if they went to a comprehensive
Original post by intelligent con
Comprehensive because the other 2 are filled with toffs who don't live in the real world and would get their heads kicked in if they went to a comprehensive

Did you not read anything in Vondas' reply? Students from comprehensive schools are often not always better than students from other types of schools.

The typical response of 'I don't like private schools because of toffs' is stupid. If you actually went to a private school you'd realise that 'toffs' don't really exist. Don't live in the real world? What exactly is that supposed to mean. Again, you don't go to a public/private school, you can't generalise a whole group of people and claim they're exactly the same because of their school. The idea that paying for an education suddenly makes you rich, know nothing about the real world and arrogant is stupid.

If you wouldn't choose a good education because of pride, then you're an idiot.
Original post by Vondas
I attended a public, selective grammar school and a comprehensive school previously. The two schools were worlds apart, the differences were vast. My experience has taught me a very important lesson, and that is to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, send a child to a comprehensive school because generally speaking, these types of schools tend to attract vast numbers of people who come from low social class backgrounds. We're talking about thugs and all kinds of bratty teenagers, people who bully others, people who abuse teachers, people who disrupt the class environment. I have to be fair however, because the quality of the teaching at my comprehensive school was very good, it wouldn't be fair of me to take issue with that. However, my experience there has scarred me for life and has left me utterly bitter and very hateful towards delinquent children from low social classes who come to school to bully people, abuse teachers and disrupt learning. These juvenile delinquents need to be segregated and sent to special schools where they won't be able to ruin the school experience for civilised people who actually want to get something out of school.

My experience at the grammar school was exemplary, I cannot think of a single negative experience during my years there. Immediately I was able to see a huge difference in the standards of achievement, behaviour and civility. I can't emphasise just how vast the difference was between the two schools that I attended.

I'm happy to say that I've learned a very important life lesson. Comprehensive schools must be avoided like the plague. I feel very strongly on this topic, I have immense hatred for misbehaved schoolkids. I hate them with a passion, with every fibre of my being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must be a right laugh at parties
Original post by TheTechN1304
Did you not read anything in Vondas' reply? Students from comprehensive schools are often not always better than students from other types of schools.

The typical response of 'I don't like private schools because of toffs' is stupid. If you actually went to a private school you'd realise that 'toffs' don't really exist. Don't live in the real world? What exactly is that supposed to mean. Again, you don't go to a public/private school, you can't generalise a whole group of people and claim they're exactly the same because of their school. The idea that paying for an education suddenly makes you rich, know nothing about the real world and arrogant is stupid.

If you wouldn't choose a good education because of pride, then you're an idiot.
Vondas' reply basically showed the hatred they have of the 'lower classes' showing that these schools are filled with socially awkward toffs
Original post by intelligent con
Vondas' reply basically showed the hatred they have of the 'lower classes' showing that these schools are filled with socially awkward toffs

I go to a private school. I have friends from state schools, as do the majority of my friends. Your ability to pay for education does not all of a sudden make you a 'socially awkward toff'
Original post by coconuthead--
BOARDING SCHOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

But under what type; Public, Grammar or Comprehensive?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending