The Student Room Group

Calling all vegetarians/vegans/helpful people...

Hi,

So at the moment I do nit eat a vegetarian diet, but have been recently considering the idea for ethical and health reasons... Also I think it will be good to try

I am going to start my eating minimal meat, but eating fish

I do my own cooking, and normally cook from scratch, but I find it hard to make a filling main meal without meat so I was looking for some ideas and inspiration for this

I dont like complex recipes with tons of spices, I domt want to have to buy loads of things

So yeah some meal plan ideas would be awesome (without meat)

(Not looking for judgement from anyone or asking whats the point if you eat fish.. That kinda thinking prevents anyone from trying anything)

Many many many thanks,

From clueless stranger

Scroll to see replies

I'm a vegan, and I usually just stirfry a heck of a load of vegetables (carrots, mushrooms, leek, peas etc) then add brown rice (boiled previously), soba noodles (ditto), or brown pasta to the mix, stirfry abit more and season + add sauce. Delicious!

Microwaved sweet potatoes are great too with baked beans, and I snack alot on houmous and carrot sticks.

Yesterday I made some sweet potato brownies which are lovely if you have a sweet tooth.

Glad you're making the transition, both for your health and for the animals :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by number23
Hi,

So at the moment I do nit eat a vegetarian diet, but have been recently considering the idea for ethical and health reasons... Also I think it will be good to try

I am going to start my eating minimal meat, but eating fish

I do my own cooking, and normally cook from scratch, but I find it hard to make a filling main meal without meat so I was looking for some ideas and inspiration for this

I dont like complex recipes with tons of spices, I domt want to have to buy loads of things

So yeah some meal plan ideas would be awesome (without meat)

(Not looking for judgement from anyone or asking whats the point if you eat fish.. That kinda thinking prevents anyone from trying anything)

Many many many thanks,

From clueless stranger

Hi

I am going to move this over to the Food and Drink forum as I think you might get a bit more of a helpful response here if you are looking for recipes.

When it comes to the sort of thing that you are looking to eat are you willing to consider things like Quorn (or supermarket own brand equivalent) as they can help you get low fat protein which I personally find fills me up. I am about to head out but I will see if I can post you some links to some of my favourite recipes when I get back :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Gaara Sama
I'm a vegan, and I usually just stirfry a heck of a load of vegetables (carrots, mushrooms, leek, peas etc) then add brown rice (boiled previously), soba noodles (ditto), or brown pasta to the mix, stirfry abit more and season + add sauce. Delicious!

Microwaved sweet potatoes are great too with baked beans, and I snack alot on houmous and carrot sticks.

Yesterday I made some sweet potato brownies which are lovely if you have a sweet tooth.

Glad you're making the transition, both for your health and for the animals :biggrin:

Thanks so much for the reply

Thansk for the stirfry idea, I will def. try this

I am really into smoothies so have flaxseed and wheatgrass powder so I could add these to meals right?

I was wondering if you have always been vegan? If not, have you seen health benefits from being vegan?

Cheers :-)
Reply 4
Original post by randdom
Hi

I am going to move this over to the Food and Drink forum as I think you might get a bit more of a helpful response here if you are looking for recipes.

When it comes to the sort of thing that you are looking to eat are you willing to consider things like Quorn (or supermarket own brand equivalent) as they can help you get low fat protein which I personally find fills me up. I am about to head out but I will see if I can post you some links to some of my favourite recipes when I get back :smile:

I am open to trying it. Is it healthy? And is the taste ok?

I am actually living in Soain currently, but I am sure they will have similar things to the UK
Reply 5
I'm a vegan, tbh my mum also cooks for me which ensures I get proper nutrition but these are all the ones I can make myself:

-"Mesa sunrise" cereal with alpro soya drink (I like my cereals dry)
-Toast with margarine and a glass of soya milk
-Nakd bars throughout the day are generally helpful
-Pasta and baked beans
-Peanut butter sandwich (with a packet of tyrells crisps if I'm gonna study)
-Houmous sandwich with nuts (to ensure you get enough protein as houmous contains less than peanut butter)
-Potato waffles, vegetable fingers and peas -
Stir fry with tofu (and some Chinese sauce)

Those are common recipes but you can mix them around.
To the best of my knowledge, you want to make sure you're getting carbohydrates to give you energy, and some protein to prevent getting an energy slump. It gets more complicated when you realise you have to ensure you get enough of lots of other nutrients too.

Since you're only going vegetarian, it should be easier to find the sources you need. I'm been vegan nearly five years and when I went to give blood they did a test and I had enough iron, so my diet seems to be ok.
good luck
Thanks so much for the reply

Thansk for the stirfry idea, I will def. try this

I am really into smoothies so have flaxseed and wheatgrass powder so I could add these to meals right?

I was wondering if you have always been vegan? If not, have you seen health benefits from being vegan?

Cheers :-)

I've been vegan for about 4 months now and I feel alot better about myself and the animals. I cycle and run alot and my performance in these activities hasn't changed. I do have to take B12 supplements though, but because you're only going pescaterian you won't have to worry about this. I feel alot healthier overall.
Reply 7
Vegetarian curry- all sorts of vegetables
Vegetarian burgers- I love making chickpea burgers they are so tasty you can find recipes online then I just add some extra spice. Also these burgers called falafel burgers are super tasty
Lentils- I have this thing called lentil dhalis
Pasta with all sorts of sauces etc
Stir frys
Noodles
And like the other reply quorn is very good they do meat substitutes so you can get eg quorn hotdogs

Don't worry about eating out as basically every where caters for veggies and the food there is super tasty as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I like to chop up any veg (tomatoes are especially good) boil it all up with lentils and add some spinach leaves and flaked up smoked mackerel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been vegetarian for a few years now and I just eat loads of pulses, protein, carbs, nuts and veg.
Lentils are great because they're so cheap, and you can do so much with them. If you just fry onions and garlic, then add whatever veg/spices you want, and then cook with the lentils, you have a really customisable staple which can easily be freezed. You can make it like a veggie spag bol or a daal, which are on different ends of the spectrum as far as lentils are concerned. I make this quite a lot: http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html
It's so good and all the leftovers are eaten over the next few days for lunch.

It's worth investigating recipes for Indian vegetarian meals. I guess if you're transitioning from eating meat then these are really great because the stars of both meat and vegetarian Indian meals are the spices, so it feels like less is missing? This is what my family feel anyway.

Falafels, hummous, tofu and nut butters are great protein sources. You can either make them yourself (well, not tofu...) or buy them premade, so they can be as quick and easy as you like.

Good sources for veggie/vegan recipes are Oh She Glows, Green Kitchen Stories, The Simple Veganista, Deliciously Ella. They have lots of meal options, but most have quirky and expensive ingredients. I end up modifying them a lot but they always taste good!

Apart from that I eat looooads of nuts, fruit and muesli. I usually have around 5 bananas and 5 other fruits a day, and usually 2-3 bowls of nutty muesli. It's not very varied but I love the food I eat and I think that's probably the most important thing about vegetarian cooking/lifestyle. Don't do it because you feel you have to, love the food you eat.
Original post by Fay17
Vegetarian curry- all sorts of vegetables
Vegetarian burgers- I love making chickpea burgers they are so tasty you can find recipes online then I just add some extra spice. Also these burgers called falafel burgers are super tasty
Lentils- I have this thing called lentil dhalis
Pasta with all sorts of sauces etc
Stir frys
Noodles
And like the other reply quorn is very good they do meat substitutes so you can get eg quorn hotdogs

Don't worry about eating out as basically every where caters for veggies and the food there is super tasty as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

These are all good ideas.

And I don't really understand when people say "I can't think of a good meal without meat", because you can just cook the same meal and replace the meat with anything you want that's not meat. So, OP, what do you normally cook?
Reply 11
I'm a vegetarian, and the easiest way to substitute meat is just put quorn in the meal instead of meat.

There's also loads of really good cookbooks out there, and just pick a few up, and you'll have loads of ideas. There's lentils, beans and pulses, that all make really good, tasty meals, especially when you toss a load of spices in there, and get some sauces or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by e aí rapaz
These are all good ideas.

And I don't really understand when people say "I can't think of a good meal without meat", because you can just cook the same meal and replace the meat with anything you want that's not meat. So, OP, what do you normally cook?

Well obvioulsy I am not wanting to eat "anything" :P
I want it to be healthy, filling etc.

Well usually my only cooked hot meal is dinner (evening meal)
Typical stuff I do:
Wholegrain pasta with onion garlic pasata chedderr cheese
White rice, chicken stirfry with onion garlic leek sweet chilli sauce
Salmon white rice veg chinese sauce
Beef burger with onion garlic spinach chedder cheese in bun
Well obvioulsy I am not wanting to eat "anything" :P
I want it to be healthy, filling etc.

Well usually my only cooked hot meal is dinner (evening meal)
Typical stuff I do:
Wholegrain pasta with onion garlic pasata chedderr cheese
White rice, chicken stirfry with onion garlic leek sweet chilli sauce
Salmon white rice veg chinese sauce
Beef burger with onion garlic spinach chedder cheese in bun

My point was that you could replace the meat with literally anything else, which gives you a LOT of options, so it shouldn't be difficult.

Wholegrain pasta with onion garlic pasata chedderr cheese - Already no meat in this one
White rice, chicken stirfry with onion garlic leek sweet chilli sauce - Replace the chicken with vegetables. Not really any need for meat in a stir fry (http://womanandhome.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/21348/00000bb2f/d847_orh2000w570/satay-veggie-stir-fry.jpg)
Salmon white rice veg chinese sauce - Again, just replace the salmon with vegetables or lentils or a meat replacement if you think they taste okay
Beef burger with onion garlic spinach chedder cheese in bun - Replace beef burger with a chick-pea or lentil burger

Easy. As other people said, you also have curries which are great without meat, other pastas (lasagne, etc), mexican food is easy with beans instead of meat, pizza doesn't need meat, etc etc etc
Reply 14
Original post by e aí rapaz
My point was that you could replace the meat with literally anything else, which gives you a LOT of options, so it shouldn't be difficult.

Wholegrain pasta with onion garlic pasata chedderr cheese - Already no meat in this one
White rice, chicken stirfry with onion garlic leek sweet chilli sauce - Replace the chicken with vegetables. Not really any need for meat in a stir fry (http://womanandhome.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/21348/00000bb2f/d847_orh2000w570/satay-veggie-stir-fry.jpg)
Salmon white rice veg chinese sauce - Again, just replace the salmon with vegetables or lentils or a meat replacement if you think they taste okay
Beef burger with onion garlic spinach chedder cheese in bun - Replace beef burger with a chick-pea or lentil burger

Easy. As other people said, you also have curries which are great without meat, other pastas (lasagne, etc), mexican food is easy with beans instead of meat, pizza doesn't need meat, etc etc etc

Thanks. Can you buy lentil burgers in the shop or are they use to make?
I am open to trying it. Is it healthy? And is the taste ok?

I am actually living in Soain currently, but I am sure they will have similar things to the UK

It doesn't taste as good as meat but that doesn't mean that it tastes bad! It is healthy and much lower in fat that meat.

http://www.quorn.co.uk/recipes/

The above link has loads of suggestions for ways to use quorn.

Three of my favourites are

Chilli in a Jacket potato (also good with rice)

Veggie chicken korma

Spaghetti Bolognese

Buzzfeed do a lot of articles which cover vegetarian and vegan meals which can be great for ideas. Pinterest is also good as you can put in quick easy vegetarian meals and get a whole list of recipes to try.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/meals-with-tons-of-protein-and-no-meat#.qwwGbyyx0R

http://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/vegan-meals-with-tons-of-protein#.wbdj7eeXlG

One of the other things that is easy to bulk cook is a vegetable curry. To start with you will need to buy a few main spices )but they aren't expensive and last for ages) but once that is done you have a lot of options. I would probably invest in medium curry powder, crushed chilis, ground cumin and garam masala.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. I have been a vegetarian for 18 years now and while I still get the odd craving for meat in general I have never looked back.
Reply 16
Original post by randdom
It doesn't taste as good as meat but that doesn't mean that it tastes bad! It is healthy and much lower in fat that meat.

http://www.quorn.co.uk/recipes/

The above link has loads of suggestions for ways to use quorn.

Three of my favourites are

Chilli in a Jacket potato (also good with rice)

Veggie chicken korma

Spaghetti Bolognese

Buzzfeed do a lot of articles which cover vegetarian and vegan meals which can be great for ideas. Pinterest is also good as you can put in quick easy vegetarian meals and get a whole list of recipes to try.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/meals-with-tons-of-protein-and-no-meat#.qwwGbyyx0R

http://www.buzzfeed.com/deenashanker/vegan-meals-with-tons-of-protein#.wbdj7eeXlG

One of the other things that is easy to bulk cook is a vegetable curry. To start with you will need to buy a few main spices )but they aren't expensive and last for ages) but once that is done you have a lot of options. I would probably invest in medium curry powder, crushed chilis, ground cumin and garam masala.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. I have been a vegetarian for 18 years now and while I still get the odd craving for meat in general I have never looked back.

That's great thank you! I will check it all out. I am quite lucky because when I return to the UK my college in Durham has a menu with half vegetarian which is great.

Tbh I am not a lover of the taste of meat... More in the dishes it is cooked in, like a great curry etc. I'll pop into the supermarket and get a few things

Thank you!
As an ex-vegetarian who now tries to follow a paleo diet I would advise you against making that choice as I had a healthy diet yet was more ill whilst I was a vegetarian, feel healthier now and ultimately had to stop due to an indigestion issue.

But you said you don't want judgement plus I think different people are better suited to different diets so here is some advice and things I have learnt from seeing vegetarianism from both angles:

Don't eat quorn regularly as it has minimal nutritional value and is ultimately processed rubbish. Once a week MAX

Don't eat legumes excessively either as they cancel out nutrients - if you do want to have them excessively, soak or ferment them

Grains are probably the worst kind of food for you - always choose brown over white and wholegrain when you do have them, and look into quinoa as an alternative

Eat plenty of nuts and seeds!

'Low fat' is a myth - go for healthy cooking oils (ie not vegetable oil or sunflower oil) and full fat milk and yoghurt

Basically don't eat anything that markets itself as being low fat/sugar/gluten or whatever

Don't choose very cheesy and sugary foods as alternatives
Thanks. Can you buy lentil burgers in the shop or are they use to make?

Both. I prefer to make them (and I prefer chick-peas) but sometimes I buy them, if I'm feeling lazy.
My boss regularly has vegetable curries instead of chicken, or a vegetable shepherd's pie instead of with meat because the vegetables take on the flavours better. Similarly for like sweet and sour or chicken supreme or something...

Quick Reply

Latest