The Student Room Group

Do I avoid him or quit the society?

Ok so I say quit but I've never actually been in the first place due to prior engagements on the first couple of times I was planning to go. Tonight is the first meeting I'll be at. Anyway I'm trying to join more societies to actually make some friends (I'm failing so badly at uni life its unbelievable) and one I wanted to join is the creative writing society. The problem is a guy I know is apparently in it (he liked their fb page so I'm not sure). Anyway while this guy is nice enough, the first time I met him he basically intervened whenever I started chatting to someone else (it was at a social; I was trying to meet people) and eventually I left early because it was getting on my nerves. He seemed nice but I was trying to meet people and honestly, I wasn't really enjoying our conversation. Anyway that was a while ago but I'm extremely paranoid it'll happen again. I know I shouldn't really be but I can't help it. What do I do?
Reply 1
Bump.
You don't know for sure that he will be there so just go!

If he is there, and it does happen again, he may not realise what he is doing so politely tell him that you'd like to meet some more people and you feel that would go better in 1:1 conversations rather than him joining in!
Reply 3
Yeah, don't let him stop you from trying to make friends! Uni is just the beginning, for the rest of your life you're going to be meeting new people and some you're just not going to click with but that's the way the cookie crumbles! If you let this guy stop you from doing things that you want to do then that's going to bring you down!

Like the above post says, you don't even know if he is going to be there! Just go, have a great time and meet some new people! What harm can it do? :smile:
Just try it, worst case you have to put up with him for an hour before deciding, or try telling him to stop pestering you if he does it again.
Reply 5
Go.

Quick Reply

Latest