The Student Room Group

Can you do a IGCSE and a GCSE in the same subject?

Or is it cheating?
Reply 1
It's not cheating, it's pointless.
Reply 2
Original post by jamestg
It's not cheating, it's pointless.

I know it's pointless i'm just wondering
I agree, they're the same level of qualification so it would seem odd to do both...

EDIT: I think some schools do enter students into both though, but that might just be me.
Reply 4
Original post by pursuedbyabear
I agree, they're the same level of qualification so it would seem odd to do both...

EDIT: I think some schools do enter students into both though, but that might just be me.

Yes I know a girl who was in year11 at a private school and she did both igcse and gcse english

and I know but i'm just wondering, i'm not actually doing that i'm homeschooled so I can't ( only for maths and religious studies I can but i'm not even doing RE)
Yes you can! Its called double entry. My school does this for GCSE english. For those that say its "pointless" how do you exactly know? It actually is not because whatever test you get a better grade in is the one where you carry and is the "actual" grade you get. Its really helpful and plus iGCSE are a bit more difficult and so consequently you automatically stand out from other students doing the same course as you. Double the grade means double the effort, making you appear better < this is the kind of things that colleges like.
Reply 6
Original post by Amal_Ahmed
Yes you can! Its called double entry. My school does this for GCSE english. For those that say its "pointless" how do you exactly know? It actually is not because whatever test you get a better grade in is the one where you carry and is the "actual" grade you get. Its really helpful and plus iGCSE are a bit more difficult and so consequently you automatically stand out from other students doing the same course as you. Double the grade means double the effort, making you appear better < this is the kind of things that colleges like.

I'm homeschooled so can only do it for Maths and RE and 3 others :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by elmosandy
Or is it cheating?

It's not banned (whereas you are effectively banned from entering for GCSE wth 2 different boards for the same subject in the same exam season) so it's not cheating, but it is definitely schools playing the system. Many schools do it in English in particular as they hope that it will improve their headline results as it gives students 2 attempts at getting a good grade. As the approach required for the 2 exams is fairly different I'm not sure how effective it is - it may just confuse people.
I'm homeschooled so can only do it for Maths and RE and 3 others :biggrin:

Seeing as though your "homeschooled" does that mean you do your exams at home?
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
It's not banned (whereas you are effectively banned from entering for GCSE wth 2 different boards for the same subject in the same exam season) so it's not cheating, but it is definitely schools playing the system. Many schools do it in English in particular as they hope that it will improve their headline results as it gives students 2 attempts at getting a good grade. As the approach required for the 2 exams is fairly different I'm not sure how effective it is - it may just confuse people.

One girl my age said that the iGCSE was more essay writing while the GCSE is short pieces of writing or something like that, she had to do both because the year above ( now year13 ) failed igcse english
Reply 10
Seeing as though your "homeschooled" does that mean you do your exams at home?

You study at home yes but take the exams at a centre as a private candidate. People in school can and have done this for taking extra igcses..

We have to do IGCSE because GCSE's cannot be done without coursework. Homeschoolers can cheat on coursework/controlled assessment at home so we have to do IGCSE's which is no coursework ( well there's a coursework option but it's basically 10-25%, homeschoolers are forced to do IGCSE's with no coursework) just exams, so homeschoolers can't cheat

:smile:
It actually is not because whatever test you get a better grade in is the one where you carry and is the "actual" grade you get.

You have ( or 'carry' as you put it) both grades and you have to declare both to UCAS if you apply for university.

Its really helpful and plus iGCSE are a bit more difficult and so consequently you automatically stand out from other students doing the same course as you. Double the grade means double the effort, making you appear better < this is the kind of things that colleges like.

Colleges will see it as your school gaming the system and just ignore the lower grade. Having 2 grades will not make you appear better at all.
Or is it cheating?

Yes, or you could do multiple IGCSEs or multiple GCSEs (might not be possible due to coursework).

It'll give you another chance per year of passing it.

You might want to bear in mind that most IGSCEs have an exam on the same day and most GCSEs have an exam on the same day.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
You have ( or 'carry' as you put it) both grades and you have to declare both to UCAS if you apply for university.

Colleges will see it as your school gaming the system and just ignore the lower grade. Having 2 grades will not make you appear better at all.

Yes I know it's pointless. I'm just wondering.

Original post by morgan8002
Yes, or you could do multiple IGCSEs or multiple GCSEs (might not be possible due to coursework).

It'll give you another chance per year of passing it.

You might want to bear in mind that most IGSCEs have an exam on the same day and most GCSEs have an exam on the same day.

What?
Yes I know it's pointless. I'm just wondering.

What?

It might improve your chances, but you have to be aware that clashes are very likely.

For example, two of the three main boards for IGCSE English have their main exam at the same time on the same day. The other has it the day after.
Reply 15
It might improve your chances, but you have to be aware that clashes are very likely.

For example, two of the three main boards for IGCSE English have their main exam at the same time on the same day. The other has it the day after.

Okay I can't even do GCSE EnGLISH so yeah

If the clash is because it's the same subject they you can't move either of them, i.e. you can only be entered for one of the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest