The Student Room Group

Job offer abroad from Holborn Assets?

Hi, I have been offered a job abroad with a financial services company called Holborn Assets, just wondering if anybody else has done a work placement abroad before in a different country or not?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hey Charles, I was offered a job in Spain last year (Not quite afar afield as you), but was still a great experience, although my job was in Europe, not in the Middle East/Asia, so I wouldn't be sure about that, but either way really hope you get the job with Holborn Assets, what you studying......guessing finance?
Reply 2
Hi Benny1992, thanks for the reply! No studying Digital Marketing, off to do some social media work and what not for Holborn Assets in Dubai with a bit of luck, although I know nothing about finance lol. Thanks for the info, just contacted the university Placement Office to see what they say.
Reply 3
Whay! Doin the same course, what uni you at? Also doing Digital & Social Media Marketing. Best of luck!
Reply 4
At Demontfort University in Leicester. Got family at the company so always helps lol! Yer u 2 mate all the best!
Hey Charles,

Yes you can go and work in a foreign country, I was at Demontfort University and for my placement year I went and worked in Oman next to Dubai (UAE). It was a great experience and nice to get out the UK and get a sun tan!

Well if you have got a job placement offer from Holborn Assets I would suggest you went down to the Placement office at De Montfort University and asked what they next step would be. Obviously you will need to begin sorting out your visa pretty fast.

If you have any questions about the country just ask! How long will you be out there for?

Good luck with the job!
Reply 6
Sounds great!
Reply 7
Thanks Shab! yes would defiantly like a nice sun tan :-)

Did you go on your own or friends? Which company did you work for? Hopefully if all goes well at Holborn Assets will get a permanent place there! Worked there in the past thanks to family, so never know once finish university could get a permanent job with them.

Hopefully works out as they are really nice people and a great team of people to work with.......and the sun is always a plus :-)
Yes my parents have been living and working in Sharjah (Next to Dubai) for the past 20 years, so go there regularly, could always meet up at some stage if were both over there one Christmas, although sure you'll make plenty of new buddies at Holborn Assets.

Well I hope you have a great time and like it, after all atleast your family is also out there! So if you did get a permanent job atleast you would all be together!

Best of luck again.

Shab
Reply 9
Thanks Shab! If you message me your details on here in private......(just so you don't have the whole world calling you lol), I will let you know when in Dubai!
Worked in Dubai for a year to at one of the local hotels as an assistant hotel manager for the restaurant for one year for my placement! It was GREAT fun! Doing my final year now then hoping to go back and work their again as loved it, so if you get the chance to work their for your placement year it will be a bit of effort ect getting out their but overall will have a blast of a time!

Can't say heard of Holborn Assets when was out there, but if you got fam their even better! Good luck and hope you get the job and hopefully see you there if get to go again! Yeee boooy! :-)
Hey Faran, thanks for the info, yer hopefully university will be able to help a bit and the family I currently got at Holborn Assets.

Might take a bit of time getting used to working on a Sunday but all good, think there is about 300+ employees at the company now :-/ Never worked for such a big company lol!

Thanks and let me know if you end up out their again, will have to defiantly meet up!
Can't say I've been to Dubai before, but sounds like a great opportunity, hoping to work abroad myself with Boeing.

Best of luck!
Thanks jack! Hope you find something abroad too!
Hi Charles, did you end up doing your placement with Holborn Assets? I am thinking of applying there because I really want to do a year in Dubai. What is Dubai like? If you took the placement, how was it? Do you know if Holborn Assets are looking for a placement student starting September 2016? Sorry to ask so many questions, I have no idea what to expect! What did you study at uni? I am doing Business with Marketing at Northumbria :smile:
Hi Louise,

Yes out in Dubai working for Holborn Assets as I write this! Glad ended up going that's for sure! If you are looking to do a Placement with them they are always looking to take on new Interns for June/September 2016 for 14 months, and years to come after that.

So far Dubai has been fantastic! I arrived in June and it was proper hot out here! But has now cooled down and the weather is really nice! It is still quite different from the UK whereby you have to abide by local rules, for example drinking in public is totally forbidden, and a fiver will get you an Apple Juice at the local bar.

Also, just to note you do have to be 21 to drink here and alcohol is not available to purchase from shops, only when you go out on the town....which is NOT CHEAP!

Overall the Placement so far is great! It is the first time Holborn Assets are offering a full 14 month Placement, so they are still learning the ropes, but it has been fantastic to date. Learnt lots, having a great time, lots of different digital projects to work on and a great social scene, even though it is not massively cheap out here. The salary is £850 ish per month, however it does come with housing and bills included....so can't complain.

I am currently working in the Digital & Social Media Marketing Department as this is exactly what my Degree is, a Digital & Social Media Marketing Degree.

Here is a review I have wrote on the job to date which will hopefully help you out a little more: http://www.ratemyplacement.co.uk/placement-review/96631/holborn-assets/digital-marketing-assistant

Yes it is defiantly a little further than Leeds, and a bit of improvement in weather conditions!

Well if you want to see if Holborn Assets are offering a Placement in the area you are studying, send an email to [email protected] and you should hear back pretty fast if they are up for giving you a ring, and you never know you could be on your way to Dubai for September 2016 for 14 months!

VERY BEST OF LUCK!
Charles Leahy - Holborn Assets Digital Marketing Assistant.
Thanks so much Charles, am going to apply in the next couple of days! Will let you know how I get on :smile: hopefully we will be colleagues at Holborn Assets soon!!
No Problemo. Hopefully so :-) Look forward to talking more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending