The Student Room Group

A very extreme story!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Cexy
I'll break away from the norm, and tell you a true story about my interview.
Err, when did you apply, and if this was last year, did you get an offer? ^o)

I assume that after all that, they still got down to a formal and professional interview though?
Nutter

I assume that after all that, they still got down to a formal and professional interview though?

Uhh didn't you read the last sentence :rolleyes:
Nutter

Either you're living up to your screen name, or you need help.
Cexy
I'll break away from the norm, and tell you a true story about my interview.

I was the final interviewee on the final day of interviews at Trinity - the two guys interviewing me had been doing this solidly for a week, probably seeing 8-10 applicants a day. As you can imagine, they were a little bit bored of it all, especially as they'd seen so many people who were obviously completely unfit to study the course, and I don't think that they had particularly high expectations of me (given that I'd already caused them hassle by rearranging my interview).

So, they decided to have a bit of fun in my interview (and this is all 100% true, since I've spoken to them both about it since then). Firstly, they told me to wait outside until they were ready. After I'd been standing there for ten minutes and nothing had happened, I tentatively knocked on the door, only for one of them to open it and tell me that they'd been ready for the last 8 minutes. They told me that that was the first test - to see if I could apply logic to statements. I shouldn't have assumed that they would tell me when they were ready.

Then in the interview, they said that spatial awareness was very important to mathematics, and so they were going to test me by blindfolding me and making clapping sounds around the room, and I'd have to point to where they were standing. I was thinking that this was a bit weird, but I'd heard that the interviews sometimes were weird, so I went along with it. The strangest part of all came when they then said that they were going to tug on my trousers, and I'd have to kick out in the direction that I thought they were standing in. So they did this for a while, and then one of them actually grabs hold of my leg and starts tugging it... so I'm kicking out, but he's not letting go. He just keeps pulling and pulling my leg... just like I'm pulling yours.

:smile:

Fantastic. Now, if I can just find the rep button.
Reply 44
2 Tales:
- An Oxford applicant is told by his interviewer to pick up the brick sitting on his desk and throw it out of the window. After slight hesitation, the applicant picks up the brick and throws it through the window, breaking the glass. The interviewer, unimpressed, responds with "why didnt you open the window first"!!
- A Cambridge applicant walks into the interview room and is greeted with an interviewer who looks him up and down, says nothing but "impress me", unfolds his newspaper, and begins to read. The applicant walks forward, sees a box of matches on the desk, strikes one, and sets fire to part of his newspaper.

i heard the rugby ball one too....although the rumour had grown, and i was told that the interviewer said if they caught it they were in, but if they threw it back they had a scholarship.
Reply 45
Nutter

LOL. Bless.
Reply 46
Cexy
one of them actually grabs hold of my leg and starts tugging it... so I'm kicking out, but he's not letting go. He just keeps pulling and pulling

I was worried this was all going to end in charges being filed...
Reply 47
lucindy24
2 Tales:
- An Oxford applicant is told by his interviewer to pick up the brick sitting on his desk and throw it out of the window. After slight hesitation, the applicant picks up the brick and throws it through the window, breaking the glass. The interviewer, unimpressed, responds with "why didnt you open the window first"!!
- A Cambridge applicant walks into the interview room and is greeted with an interviewer who looks him up and down, says nothing but "impress me", unfolds his newspaper, and begins to read. The applicant walks forward, sees a box of matches on the desk, strikes one, and sets fire to part of his newspaper.

i heard the rugby ball one too....although the rumour had grown, and i was told that the interviewer said if they caught it they were in, but if they threw it back they had a scholarship.

I can imagine the tutors sitting in their offices at Oxbridge, laughing.
lucindy24

That one, surprisingly, has groundings in truth. What actually happened though, was....

The interviewers told the interviewee to throw the brick in front of him out the window. He panicked, obviously, and sadi he wouldn't. The interviewer picked up the brick, walked over to the window, opened it and threw it out.

How gutted must that kid have been!?!

If he'd have actually thrown the brick through an 18th century window or something, I doubt the interviewer would have just sat there, 'unimpressed'.
Reply 49
ledzep4eva
That one, surprisingly, has groundings in truth. What actually happened though, was....

Hmm, how do you know, though?:confused: That version might be just as much of an urban legend as the other one.
hobnob
Hmm, how do you know, though?:confused: That version might be just as much of an urban legend as the other one.

I WAS THAT BOY......

Or not...

Yeah, I know. I heard it from a friend's parents, who I would never doubt.
Reply 51
who heard it off someone else's parents, no doubt.
Reply 52
In response to the theory of automatic rejection if your PS starts with "the", mine did and I got in.
Reply 53
I would hope that you wrote "The" and not "the" at the start of your PS. My, oh my, standards are slipping.
I was reading a friends personal statement and some of the lines were abysmal. one was just I like biology. And i was like....ok.....
Reply 55
Biscan25
In response to the theory of automatic rejection if your PS starts with "the", mine did and I got in.

Oh well, that's obvious. I mean come on. Anyone who knows anything knows that the automatic rejection criteria change each year. Otherwise those who knew someone in the college would have an advantage. For this year's applicants, they decided to try a slightly more difficult system involving the number of letters in your name combined with the number of words in the first line of your personal statement. Obviously.

Makes you wonder how people can be so stupid as not to realise such obvious things.:rolleyes:
Reply 56
I heard of an admissions tutor that rejected everyone who had a "!" in their personal statement. To be honest, I can sympathise.
Reply 57
sofialoves
I heard of an admissions tutor that rejected everyone who had a "!" in their personal statement. To be honest, I can sympathise.

Well to be fair, using '!'s in your personal statement is quite a clear sign of idiocy. I for one fully support our admissions tutors in their drive towards the eradication of such pernicious habits.
Reply 58
Oh for heaven's sake - all joking aside, even if the story the OP heard was true, would you really want to be accepted by a uni who followed such a nonsensical admissions process, Oxbridge or no Oxbridge? If that's what they are rumoured to be forced into, then it's a pretty sad state of affairs!
Reply 59
~nat~
Oh for heaven's sake - all joking aside, even if the story the OP heard was true, would you really want to be accepted by a uni who followed such a nonsensical admissions process, Oxbridge or no Oxbridge? If that's what they are rumoured to be forced into, then it's a pretty sad state of affairs!

What's sad? The rumours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending