The Student Room Group

Only in the Guardian... (about ISIS)

Just read this absolutely dreadful piece in the Guardian about the British man who died fighting ISIS. A brilliant case of "only in the Guardian".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/06/konstandinos-scurfields-death-is-a-tragedy-but-not-an-example

"Going to fight against Isis is frowned upon much less, viewed more as an individual decision, albeit a perilous one. It is broadly seen as admirable and heroic, fighting for what you believe in as long as you’re on the right side. Many people in Britain no doubt believe that Scurfield shares their values, but was far more courageous in defending them.

A straightforward thing that gets lost, though, is that all sides think they’re the right side."

"But I wouldn’t like Scurfield to inspire others. (I have to confess that if a child of mine ran off to join the fighting, on any side, my heart would be broken.) It’s dangerous, to think of anti-Islamism as a righteous cause, or a cause at all. "

"A civilised, pragmatic and sensible reaction to criminality, abuse and murder on an enormous scale should not be painted up as a righteous cause, not least because it’s important to act only against what these people do. Their beliefs are their own business, unless they make them the business of others, through action. We should all be allowed to believe what we want to, and let others do the same, as much as is possible."

"I admire the loyalty that Surfield’s parents show their son, by praising his sacrifice. But I think his death is tragic and senseless, a waste. So many people are caught up in this violence, when they would choose not to if they could. Peace is heaven. War is hell."

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It really isn't suprising from the guardian.
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu
It really isn't suprising from the guardian.

I thought they couldn't do any worse than their "Thomas the Tank Engine is racist" article they published a while back. I was wrong.
Reply 3
Their beliefs are their own business, unless they make them the business of others, through action. We should all be allowed to believe what we want to, and let others do the same, as much as is possible."

Tell that to the Yazidis. Well at least those lucky enough to have escaped the genocide.
Every day is a new low for the Guardian. The paper was a financial failure when it had integrity, and then it decided to abort its principles and go for click bait articles instead.
Reply 5
The Guardian and its readers are a bunch of perpetually offended, pseudo-intellectual liberal douchebags with nothing better to do in life than cry and moan about how white men are the worst thing to happen in the universe. Shrill, aggravating and illogical, they will defend Islam to the death even it means they appear more hypocritical than they already are.
Reply 6
Original post by RFowler
I thought they couldn't do any worse than their "Thomas the Tank Engine is racist" article they published a while back. I was wrong.

Ah I don't know, the Oscars one and the Stock Cubes one were both equally great.
Honestly find this disgorge worthy. The indolence on side of the political "left" is just complete mental retardation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Guardian is an islamist ****rag
Original post by RFowler

Original post by Arkasia
Ah I don't know, the Oscars one and the Stock Cubes one were both equally great.

What was the stock cubes one? My particular fave Grauniad articles are the man earnestly explaining why the 'compare the meerkats' ads are racist and grossly offensive to his Russian girlfriend, and the recent one by the woman whining that white people saying 'bae' is cultural appropriation and also grossly offensive.

I'm afraid I'm giving up on The Guardian, for the reasons stated in this thread - their endless apologetics for Islamist terrorism and shrill rubbish about how it's all really our fault are getting too much to bear.
Original post by Achaea
What was the stock cubes one? My particular fave Grauniad articles are the man earnestly explaining why the 'compare the meerkats' ads are racist and grossly offensive to his Russian girlfriend, and the recent one by the woman whining that white people saying 'bae' is cultural appropriation and also grossly offensive.

I'm afraid I'm giving up on The Guardian, for the reasons stated in this thread - their endless apologetics for Islamist terrorism and shrill rubbish about how it's all really our fault are getting too much to bear.

The Stock Cubes one was an advert by Marco Pierre White in which he was advertising 'Jamaican' Knorr Stock Cubes, and the article said it was disgusting cultural appropriation.

Here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/30/marco-pierre-white-jamaican-dish-knorr-advert
Original post by Achaea

It's a shame because the Guardian does actually come out with a lot of good stuff. Their proper journalism is usually pretty good. Then they ruin it by publishing stupid things like this.
I disagree with the article, but it's much more nuanced than you're portraying it. Sod off.
Original post by Unkempt_One
I disagree with the article, but it's much more nuanced than you're portraying it. Sod off.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nuance

Nuance - "a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression or sound"

Nuanced? All of those quotes are in the article, and I've tried to avoid quoting them out of context.
What do you expect from a leftist rag like the Graun.
The Guardian has been apologising for jihad for years now, ever since 9/11 pretty much. They let their distrust for America and Bush become a loathing for the free world, and that morphed into simple apologetics for Islamist evil. Sad really. They now publish Islamist fanatics on a regular basis, and should be regarded as an enemy of freedom.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just go and watch Fox news then. No need to cry just because a newspaper does not conform to your views.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just go and watch Fox news then. No need to cry just because a newspaper does not conform to your views.

What? I criticise something in the Guardian so you immediately jump to the complete opposite end of the spectrum?

If I read something that I think is stupid I'm going to say something about it. And this particular article is idiotic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Evening
The Guardian and its readers are a bunch of perpetually offended, pseudo-intellectual liberal douchebags with nothing better to do in life than cry and moan about how white men are the worst thing to happen in the universe. Shrill, aggravating and illogical, they will defend Islam to the death even it means they appear more hypocritical than they already are.

I always thought that The Guardian was a good, reputable newspaper. Now that I've started reading it, I can't help but agree with you more and more. Every time I read an article, I want to burn the damn thing.
If you want to see some more Guardian gold, http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/mar/11/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-eco-feminist-top-gear

The author basically attacks Top Gear for not being eco enough, suggests that their gender keeps fossil fuels being used, somehow, and then goes on to talk about an eco-hybrid car which Jezza reviewed not three weeks ago, while James May reviewed a Ferrari supercar hybrid. Truly hilarious fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending