The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Are you stuck deciding on accommodation at Northumbria?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by dp247
It's absolutely fine! I'm here to make moving to uni easier for you guys! I wouldn't really recommend taking the Metro to uni. It would be two to three stops then a five to ten minute walk. You'd get on at Gateshead Interchange and get off at either Monument or Haymarket (Haymarket is close to Squires and the SU, Monument is closer to Ellison Building and the link bridge to CCE (although Haymarket is probably still closer). All those stations are in the same zone, so a single (one way) ticket is £1.80, a day ticket is £2.70, or a week ticket is £10.30. Student season tickets start start at £26.60 for 4 weeks or £280 for a year's pass (see here for details). In my opinion its much better just to set off early and walk! :tongue:

Sorry for the late reply. Isn't the Manors station much closer? I'll definitely try out both walking and Metro options. Sometimes the convenience is priceless, but walking can also save up a decent chunk of money. Thanks for the info!
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 61
Original post by kwj
Sorry for the late reply. Isn't the Manors station much closer? I'll definitely try out both walking and Metro options. Sometimes the convenience is priceless, but walking can also save up a decent chunk of money. Thanks for the info!

Manors is closer to City Campus East (Law/Business/Design) and Pandon Building. Likewise, sometimes Metros are just easier than walking, but come to Newcastle and see what works best for you! :smile:
So my only options to pick between are Lovaine halls/ flats and Claude Gibb, which is better for social life? :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by EmilyZaar
So my only options to pick between are Lovaine halls/ flats and Claude Gibb, which is better for social life? :smile:

I'd say they're all social - Claude Gibb and Lovaine Hall have rooms on shared floors, so you could be sharing with a fair few people. Lovaine Flats has shares of between 5 and 7 students. They're all very close to the SU, so there's always people about too.
Has anyone looked at staying in Manor Bank? I've heard really good things about there however it is no longer classed as halls and is private accommodation.
Reply 65
Original post by MechEngineer21
Has anyone looked at staying in Manor Bank? I've heard really good things about there however it is no longer classed as halls and is private accommodation.

I actually had someone come up to me asking about this at our last open event, so I'll repeat what I know here. The way lots of halls work is that they sign a deal with the uni where the uni allocates spaces in their buildings rather than the companies doing it themselves. Unfortunately, this can run out whenever and in this case, has run out between Northumbria advertising the halls as available for 2016 starters and 2016 starters applying (which has caused confusion).

AFAIK, this has happened with both Manor Bank and Liberty Quay, which is a shame because they are both very nice places to live (I've been to Manor Bank a few times and lived in Liberty in my first year). You can still apply to them, but there are a couple of downsides:

> You're not applying through the university itself, which is easier as it's done on results day.
> You're not guaranteed to live with first years. A lot of people overlook this, but living with other first years is what makes moving to uni so great. Living in uni-allocated halls almost guarantees to have you share with other first years, whereas private halls will probably take less care over this.

I'm not attempting to dissuade any who does want to apply - by all means, they're both brilliant halls, more trying to offer some insight into the matter ^^.
Im not sure which accommodation i want to apply for, but have looked at the ones which have en suites and larger sizes. Out of new bridge street and winn studios, which has a better social environment, if at all?
Reply 67
Hi, I will be a first year student starting september 2016, I am looking into Claude gibb if anyone has any information about these hall that would be great!
Reply 68
Original post by JammyGuy12
Im not sure which accommodation i want to apply for, but have looked at the ones which have en suites and larger sizes. Out of new bridge street and winn studios, which has a better social environment, if at all?

I'd say Winn Studios - the flat sizes can be a lot bigger and the accommodation is all one building with a central courtyard, whereas NBS is two or three buildings. As always though, your social life is how you make it, so it's up to you to get to know your flatmates and other people in the block/accommodation :tongue:.

Original post by gm1997
Hi, I will be a first year student starting september 2016, I am looking into Claude gibb if anyone has any information about these hall that would be great!

Claude Gibb's one of our hidden gems. First off, it's the only catered accommodation on campus - meals are provided for 33 weeks of the contract; breakfast daily, evening meal Monday to Friday and lunches on Saturday and Sunday. It's not ensuite, but you do have a sink in your room, which are about the same size as other uni owned accommodation. Also in each room, you'll find a single bed, wardrobe, set of drawers, bedside table, chair and desk - with each room also having access to 100MB per second internet. Outside of your room, you have a shared kitchen space (1 for every 12 rooms) and toilets/showers (3 for every 12 rooms), as well as the communal dining room, common room and laundrette. All that for ~£110 per week, with bills, food, central heating and internet included.

You can find more info by looking on the uni website or by watching this video here.
Hi what accommodation would you recommended for nursing students? all en-suites are gone so was wondering out of glenamara and Stephenson would be my best bet?
Ive booked for manor bank looks really nice
Really helpful thread, thanks!

Just to make myself sound like a killjoy, I'm looking at staying in uni accommodation and I'm a 32-year-old PhD student. So, of course, liveliness sounds fun, but would rattle my old bones a bit too much maybe. Are there any halls which tend to be the quieter postgrad/OAP halls? Also, any idea when all the uni accommodation might fill up? I'm waiting on an official email with log in deets so I can apply.

Cheers!
Reply 72
Original post by bethanyc4305
Hi what accommodation would you recommended for nursing students? all en-suites are gone so was wondering out of glenamara and Stephenson would be my best bet?

Glenamara. I have friends who loved being in there so much, so I'd definitely say that one.

Original post by antirrhopus

Just to make myself sound like a killjoy, I'm looking at staying in uni accommodation and I'm a 32-year-old PhD student. So, of course, liveliness sounds fun, but would rattle my old bones a bit too much maybe. Are there any halls which tend to be the quieter postgrad/OAP halls? Also, any idea when all the uni accommodation might fill up? I'm waiting on an official email with log in deets so I can apply.

Cheers!

Haha, that doesn't make you sound like a killjoy! If you're looking for quieter places, I'd maybe recommend applying outside of Northumbria. As Bethany says above, all the ensuite accommodation is gone (although I don't know that for sure - I can only offer advice haha), so I'd maybe say Lovaine Flats if you apply through the uni, but places such as Liberty Quay and Manor Bank (I think) have quiet wings, where you can still stay in halls, but where noise is kept to a minimum at night time.
Reply 73
I'm a bit late applying, the only options left available are Lovaine Flats/Hall or Stephenson, the only thing that I'm fussed about is I'd like to be in sociable halls, which one would be best for this?
Original post by antirrhopus

Cheers!

There's quite a few private accommodations with en suites that would be quieter. I'm 22, still young I know, but I've already done my time living in student halls previously and now I'm going to Northumbria to do a bachelors again but wanted something more private as I'm not interested in al that student stuff. Anyway, I've booked with downing students for the verde, they've still got early bird offers on. I also went to see some others, I think Stepney yard or something? Also one near the train station in Newcastle. Although newcastle students usually go into these ones like the verde, it's a new build (in process) and they have ensuite rooms available :smile: definitely worth a look at them all. Good luck!
Hiya,

I'm going to be studying adult nursing on the March 2017 intake. I will be moving up from Bristol. I'm wondering what happens about accommodation for people starting later in the year such as March? Also, I will be 29 going on 30 when I start my degree so one of my fears is that I will be one of the oldest living in the student accommodation :-D hehe.
I don't mind liveliness but I also appreciate peace and quiet too. What would your recommendations be?

Cheers

Robbie
Reply 76
HELP!

I'm trying to bring my car to uni but the accomodation parking is £750 a year!! Im doing an NHS funded degree so the only loans i get is a £2300 maintenance loan - therefore i really cant afford to be paying for the parking as well as 5k a year for accomodation.

Does anyone know if there are any free parking streets near any of the accomodation or any other ways i can save the £750 a year?
Reply 77
Original post by Robbie_05
Hiya,

I'm going to be studying adult nursing on the March 2017 intake. I will be moving up from Bristol. I'm wondering what happens about accommodation for people starting later in the year such as March? Also, I will be 29 going on 30 when I start my degree so one of my fears is that I will be one of the oldest living in the student accommodation :-D hehe.
I don't mind liveliness but I also appreciate peace and quiet too. What would your recommendations be?

Cheers

Robbie

Hey Robbie,

I'm not really too sure about the March intakes, as most university owned accommodation is for September starters. However, it may be worth emailing the accommodation team ([email protected]) to have a word with them about it. Alternatively, there will probably be some rooms in private halls or from letting agencies, and there will also be tenancy takeovers from people who drop out.

Original post by Kstim
HELP!

I'm trying to bring my car to uni but the accomodation parking is £750 a year!! Im doing an NHS funded degree so the only loans i get is a £2300 maintenance loan - therefore i really cant afford to be paying for the parking as well as 5k a year for accomodation.

Does anyone know if there are any free parking streets near any of the accomodation or any other ways i can save the £750 a year?

Yes there are! I know a couple of people who have brought cars all the way through their three years of uni without paying a penny. Of course, safety is not guaranteed on side streets, and many people will say you shouldn't really bring a car unless you really really need it. As for street names, I'm not sure, but I know it can be done!
Original post by Kstim
HELP!

Yeah there's a few around about. Might be a bit of a walk but have a nosey about
Reply 79
Help!

I'm leaning towards liberty quay as a selection for accommodation due to new rooms being given out for 2016/2017 students.

my other choices are Manor bank, Union Square, stepneyyard and Glenamara.

I was thinking of getting a studio with a male friend (which makes 2 males living in a room) to save some bucks but the room seems awfully small.

any recommendations?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending