The Student Room Group

Not wanting to kiss bf cause of cold sore but don't want to offend him.

My boyfriend has a cold sore and I don't want to catch them, I've never had one before. He says it's from shaving but it's on his lip in the corner looks like a cold sore as he says he does get them. I'm scared of kissing him because of this reason but don't want to seem like an hyperchondriac/offend him by telling him the real reason. So when he goes to kiss me I'll just be pulling away.

What are some good reasons for not kissing someone? I kissed him once quickly. Guess I don't want to tell him the real reason as he'l say it's an excuse and get annoyed. He already says that I don't show enough passion. I said I have a sore throat and don't want to pass it on and he said 'sore throat my ass'.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend has a cold sore and I don't want to catch them, I've never had one before. He says it's from shaving but it's on his lip in the corner looks like a cold sore as he says he does get them. I'm scared of kissing him because of this reason but don't want to seem like an hyperchondriac/offend him by telling him the real reason. So when he goes to kiss me I'll just be pulling away.

What are some good reasons for not kissing someone? I kissed him once quickly. Guess I don't want to tell him the real reason as he'l say it's an excuse and get annoyed. He already says that I don't show enough passion. I said I have a sore throat and don't want to pass it on and he said 'sore throat my ass'.

Honestly coldsores arent that bad and just don't have oral sex as it belongs to the herpesvirus family

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Honestly he kind of sounds like a bell-end.
Just say you don't want a cold sore. Once you get them, they always come back, don't want to be dealing with that.
Reply 3
Original post by Lwin
Honestly he kind of sounds like a bell-end.
Just say you don't want a cold sore. Once you get them, they always come back, don't want to be dealing with that.

He says it's from shaving though and we had a conversation and laughed about it I didn't let on that I thought it was a cold sore. So I can't really bring it up again.
He says it's from shaving though and we had a conversation and laughed about it I didn't let on that I thought it was a cold sore. So I can't really bring it up again.

Just tell him that you can't be 100% certain and want to avoid it just in case + that it will be gone very soon anyway - the benefits greatly outweigh the small down time .

He can't force himself on you and it's unlikely that he'll break up with you over it, so don't worry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Stick to your guns. If it is a cold sore, it should clear up in a short time (get him some zovirax its an antiviral)

Please dont make the mistake of kissing him to not offend him, because if it is herpes simplex, it can infect you. Then thats it, you're infected for life. It will affect all you're future partners, people won't share glasses with you if its flaring it. It has a lot of social implications, many of which are due to lack of knowledge about the virus - but still, the social implications are there. Don't open yourself up to it.

Just tell him the real reason! It sounds perfectly reasonable, he really shouldn't be offended.
Reply 7
Inb4 herpes
Reply 8
Original post by swiftylol
Just tell him that you can't be 100% certain and want to avoid it just in case + that it will be gone very soon anyway - the benefits greatly outweigh the small down time .

He can't force himself on you and it's unlikely that he'll break up with you over it, so don't worry.

A few days ago he broke up with me cause he said I showed no passion and didn't want sex. I sent a text saying I do want it eventually and that I just need time so it's tricky because of this.
A few days ago he broke up with me cause he said I showed no passion and didn't want sex. I sent a text saying I do want it eventually and that I just need time so it's tricky because of this.

Well he sounds like a right knob!

If he breaks up with you just because you won't kiss him (for a few days max!) then he's an idiot and really not worh your time.
Ugh just drop him out
Reply 12
Tell him. It's perfectly reasonable. He shouldn't want to spread it!
Reply 13
Tell him you will compensate greatly him later :wink: :wink:

(He will NOT refuse or hold any grudge what so ever, i promise)
You're being totally reasonable. Whenever I get one, I tell my boyfriend I don't want to kiss him as I don't want him getting one, and your boyfriend should have the same mindset. Any decent person would wait until it's gone :smile:
Reply 15

Aaaand...dump.

Riigghht okaaay. I do hope he's got some good points hidden away somewhere, because they're not coming across on this thread.

OP, being in a relationship is supposed to make you feel good not ****ty. If you let anybody make you feel bad about yourself then (1) they're not good at being in a relationship, and (2) you're doing yourself a serious disservice.
Reply 17
Kiss him on the cheek?

Getting a cold-sore so you don't offend just isn't worth it.
Reply 18

I really don't blame you for not wanting a cold sore as once you get them, they'll keep coming back. My best friend gets them and she absolutely hates it! The whole point of being in a relationship is to be honest and open with each other though, so you should really just tell him the real reason. As your boyfriend he should respect how you feel and he shouldn't want to pass his cold sore on to you anyway. They eventually clear up after a week or so, so it's not like it's the end of the world avoiding contact for a few days.

u shoulda told him good riddance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending