The Student Room Group

Seriously.. how can I improve my spelling?

Don't know what it is but my spelling is really bad, I've never been a great speller but since leaving education 5 years ago and not really needing to write much at work, my spelling has gone to the dogs. What can I do to get better at spelling?
Original post by BlackberryBoss
Don't know what it is but my spelling is really bad, I've never been a great speller but since leaving education 5 years ago and not really needing to write much at work, my spelling has gone to the dogs. What can I do to get better at spelling?

Do you read often? Because reading novels and even non-fiction regularly is the easiest and most satisfying way to improve spelling and grammar as a whole.
Reply 2
Read and write more.

I'm a lazy speller, and I rely on spell check far too often. So every now again I'll write by hand so I can keep my spelling in check. It might work for you.
Original post by franzorb
Do you read often? Because reading novels and even non-fiction regularly is the easiest and most satisfying way to improve spelling and grammar as a whole.

Not really tbh.. I have however embarked on reading a computer book recently but genrally I wont touch a book, dont have much time im currently thinking of doing some sort of course or something to help improve. I got a D in English GCSE yet a B in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BlackberryBoss
Not really tbh.. I have however embarked on reading a computer book recently but genrally I wont touch a book, dont have much time im currently thinking of doing some sort of course or something to help improve. I got a D in English GCSE yet a B in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try reading! Honestly, as unappealing as it seems - trust me, I've been there as a foreigner - it really helps. Plus, the more you read the more you get into it, generally anyway. Unless you fancy writing out words that you can't spell over and over again, reading articles, books, magazines, newspapers, cereal boxes is the best option :smile:
if you read a book you'll immediately expose yourself to more words and become familiar with them before you know it your spelling will improve and you could read some newspapers too the guardians my favourite lol I just read it online
Yep basically what other people said - read, read, and read some more.

If there are any words that you know you misspell pretty often, write them out over and over again, every day, until it's ingrained in your memory (the equivalent of drilling, basically).

Quick Reply

Latest