The Student Room Group

What university should I choose?

I am planning to study Interior and/or Spatial Design this September, but I am really stuck on where to go. I have applied to the following:
-London College of Communication (UAL)
-Chelsea college of Arts (UAL)
-University of Salford
-Edinburgh Napier University
-Coventry University
I have received offers from Coventry, Salford and LCC so far and expecting the other two soon. The reason why I am stuck is because there are pros and cons for each choice making it hard to chose.
LCC- I like the idea of living in London (lived there as a child and loved it), lots of inspiration surrounding the area and museums, however very expensive and accommodation would be very hard to afford in second year. University has a good name and I liked it when I went to visit, however the course seems slightly different to what I was expecting.
CCA-Same reasons as above but thought the course was much more suitable. However havent heard back from them yet..
Salford- Up and coming area so inspiration doesn't seem like a problem, much cheaper than London and course seems good. However, I don't think it's a very strong university in the arts.
Coventry- Course seemed really good, but I found the area VERY uninspiring and boring. Probably rather cheap to live in area but lack of museums.
Edinburgh Napier- Edinburgh is a really good place for architecture and art which i would need to have around me to feel inspired, yet I don't know how good the university is and travel would take a very long time (from Cornwall).
Sorry for the long post, but could anyone who has studied at any of these universities please share your views.
Thanks
Original post by HLUKE11
I am planning to study Interior and/or Spatial Design this September, but I am really stuck on where to go. I have applied to the following:
-University of Salford
-Coventry University
I have received offers from Coventry, Salford and LCC so far and expecting the other two soon. The reason why I am stuck is because there are pros and cons for each choice making it hard to chose.
LCC- I like the idea of living in London (lived there as a child and loved it), lots of inspiration surrounding the area and museums, however very expensive and accommodation would be very hard to afford in second year. University has a good name and I liked it when I went to visit, however the course seems slightly different to what I was expecting.
CCA-Same reasons as above but thought the course was much more suitable. However havent heard back from them yet..
Salford- Up and coming area so inspiration doesn't seem like a problem, much cheaper than London and course seems good. However, I don't think it's a very strong university in the arts.
Coventry- Course seemed really good, but I found the area VERY uninspiring and boring. Probably rather cheap to live in area but lack of museums.
Edinburgh Napier- Edinburgh is a really good place for architecture and art which i would need to have around me to feel inspired, yet I don't know how good the university is and travel would take a very long time (from Cornwall).
Sorry for the long post, but could anyone who has studied at any of these universities please share your views.
Thanks

Hey, can I just ask, have you applied for the BA hons or the FdA in Interior design at Chelsea?
Reply 2
Original post by rakshandagowda
Hey, can I just ask, have you applied for the BA hons or the FdA in Interior design at Chelsea?

Original post by HLUKE11
-University of Salford
-Coventry University
Thanks

Hey there,
Congratulations on all your offers! I'm sorry Coventry is a little grey, I won't sit here and pretend its the most exciting place on earth, because it isn't - but you might be interested in our new creative quarter - Fargo Village it's been growing steadily over the last year, and opens officially this September - but it has lots of great arts events on regularly, and whilst it might not be traditional museums, I definitely find it inspiring. Plus Birmingham, London and Bristol are really easily accessible from coventry and all take under an hour to get to via public transport.

Ultimately, no matter how much you love where you live, your course will be what keeps you at university - that's what you're committing the next 3 years of your life to. I'd advise perhaps you e-mail the course directors at each institution (if you're struggling with finding their emails ask admissions), explain your situation to them, and see if you can find out a bit more about the course on offer at each university, and where that might take you. You still have plenty of time to think about where you want to go, so don't rush the decision.

Good luck with the big decision - and if there's anything we can help with don't hesitate to drop us a message!
- Josh
Reply 3
Hi, I would like to ask you for your opinion. I am going to study interior design. Which uni has the most to offer?
I prefer to stay here in London, because of my work. So I have a similar problem, but I am choosing among UAL, Kingston, Middlesex and De Montfort (Leicester). I don't know these schools well, so I will be glad for any advice.
Original post by patris
Hi, I would like to ask you for your opinion. I am going to study interior design. Which uni has the most to offer?
I prefer to stay here in London, because of my work. So I have a similar problem, but I am choosing among UAL, Kingston, Middlesex and De Montfort (Leicester). I don't know these schools well, so I will be glad for any advice.

Hi I went to De Montfort today to see their interior design course and I personally found it AMAZING I definitely think I will be going there. I found that with De Montfort there was a lot more hands on stuff than just sitting and drawing which yes is a key aspect of the course but model making is too. They have just spent £136 million on a new art, design and humanties building which should be up and running by easter 2016 apparently :smile: There are also lots of workshop areas you can use to do your model making too. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Hello, I'm an international student and planning to take the interior design course this Sep in UK. Coventry is my first choice atm as I've received the offer from them (still waiting for the other schools though). I have no trouble with the dull weather as well as the quiet night life in Cov (from what I've heard). The only problem for me is the international students' tuition fee which is quite higher compared to other places, so I'm pretty much struggling between places like you. Have you made up your mind yet?

Quick Reply

Latest