The Student Room Group

Royal Navy Medical Advice

I'm having a Navy medical next week. and I was 100% sure it would be fine but now I'm having last minute doubts. I only have two potential issues:

1. Two years ago I had a heart murmur detected during a diving medical. It was thoroughly investigated in hospital, with and EGC etc, and I have a detailed consultant's letter to say it is benign and I am fine. I also run regularly. However, do you think this could cause any delays, even if I take the letter?

If I do some last minute strength / running training, will it reduce the sound? I think it's very faint, because a cadet medical didn't detect it, but for all I know it's got worse in the last two years. Or better...

2. I now have a cold. I'm hoping it will be gone by next week, but how can I maximise my health and fitness this week to get rid of it as soon as possible?

I really want to pass this without long delays, because I have a potential course over the summer. Any advice?
Hi there, In all honesty I wouldn't worry. I know it's hard, it's your career on the line. Just take ALL the paperwork you'll think you'll need. Take some multi vitamins and some iron tablets this week leading up to it to try and boost recovery of your cold. But so long as you pass the hearing & blowing test the cold won't cause any hassle.
Reply 2
Original post by Uni-Chick
Hi there, In all honesty I wouldn't worry. I know it's hard, it's your career on the line. Just take ALL the paperwork you'll think you'll need. Take some multi vitamins and some iron tablets this week leading up to it to try and boost recovery of your cold. But so long as you pass the hearing & blowing test the cold won't cause any hassle.

Ha ha, thanks! I just passed - there was nothing to worry about, but thank you so much for replying :smile:

(And if anyone else reads this, it was good advice - I needed the paperwork).
Reply 3
Mods, would you mind deleting this thread?

Quick Reply

Latest