The Student Room Group

Would South Asians be better off with reunification?

Now I know this is going to be controversial, but I wanted to put the question. As important as religion is to the peoples of South Asia, there can be no doubt that it has exacted a heavy price. In lives, lost economic activity, territory and living standards all across the subcontinent.

Would South Asians be better off resolving their religious differences and uniting in the (re)unification of South Asia?

Just to list some of the consequences of religion/nationalistic differences in South Asia,

1) The obvious one is the enmity between most Indians and Pakistanis and within different religious groups within most South Asian countries.

2) The partition and subsequent wars (one could even frame them as civil wars) would never have happened, not only saving over a million lives, but also offering clear advantages for the peoples of South Asia in terms of territory, resources and development.

3) War and partition between Pakistan and Bangladesh.

4) Ongoing insurgencies in Kashmir, Balochistan, North-East India.

5) Terrorist groups based on religion, destabilising the region.

6) Hate groups in all South Asian countries causing disharmony.

I say all this as it seems to me that South Asians have paid a heavy price (and continue to do so) as a result of their lack of unity. I was inspired after reading a news article about a group of Pakistani students who formed a human shield to protect Hindus who were celebrating Holi in Pakistan, as well as this picture from India.

It seems as though while other parts of the world are coming closer (EU), South Asians remain divided to their collective disadvantage (mainly over religion).

It all seems quite pointless and wasteful. One might even suggest South Asians deserve to be in the state they're in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Leave everything to the free market, it will always correct itself
Reply 2
Total Area - 5,775,889km2 (Bigger than Europe)

GDP (Nominal) - $2,487,209,000,000 (7th largest)

GDP (PPP) - $8,652,400,000,000 (3rd Largest (India is already 3rd largest))

Number of soldiers (Active and Reserve) - 4,725,000 (Though this could probably be reduced if the countries aren't fighting each other)

Divided South Asia - Divided South Asia.jpg

United South Asia - United South Asia.jpg
Myanmar is more culturally linked to the countries to the east i.e. Cambodia, Laos etc.

Nepal and Bhutan are doing just fine on their own.

Can't imagine India wanting all the excess economic baggage either.
Reply 4
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Myanmar is more culturally linked to the countries to the east i.e. Cambodia, Laos etc.

Nepal and Bhutan are doing just fine on their own.

Can't imagine India wanting all the excess economic baggage either.

There are strong cultural links to south east asia, but there are also strong links to India/South Asia in Myanmar, especially through Hinduism and Buddhism. Also, Turkey (maybe even Romania) is hardly strongly culturally linked to Spain or Italy, that doesn't stop it trying to join the E.U. instead of the Middle-East. It not just cultural links, but geographical/economic/trade.

It's also not about whether they are doing 'just fine', but whether unification would lift them up to higher status (should they want it). I'm sure the idea will not be popular with everyone, but I'm also sure the idea of uniting with an ascendant India would appeal to some people there. Bhutan especially is very close to India.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
An interesting idea OP but one which will never occur.

Burma and Bhutan are Buddhist, one can't image them being in union willingly with something as oppressive as Islam.

Pakistan and Afghanistan are for all intensive purposes failed states in which parts are barely governable and terrorists roam free.

You'd also be giving India enormous power of them.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
An interesting idea OP but one which will never occur.

Burma and Bhutan are Buddhist, one can't image them being in union willingly with something as oppressive as Islam.

Pakistan and Afghanistan are for all intensive purposes failed states in which parts are barely governable and terrorists roam free.

You'd also be giving India enormous power of them.

Buddhism has nothing to do with it, really. In fact the whole point of this thread is that religion has divided South Asians. A lot of Buddists live in India in places like Sikkim and Dharamshala. Let's not forget which country took in Tibetan refugees when the Chinese annexed their nation.

It's true that Pakistan and Afghanistan are a mess, that's one of the reasons I think the intelligent among them should seriously consider reunification. Extremist in those nations could be curtailed under Indian influence (Note that Indian Muslims are the least supportive of extremist Islamist groups, and overwhelmingly most are patriotic Indians).

India may be the more influential in this union....but so what? India is not perfect, but at least it has held up as a stable, secular, diverse, democratic country. I don't think the peoples in other South Asian nations would be oppressed or anything. Quite the contrary, in fact.
You could enact and promote with as much veracity the unification of the entirety of Europe, or even the world with your easily malleable reasons for. Not to mention historically these states were never unified as one entity, only three of the current states have themselves, a historical relation to their current status. India, Bhutan, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka, Bangladesh, the Maldives are artificial bodies. Corpulent too.
Reply 8
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
You could enact and promote with as much veracity the unification of the entirety of Europe, or even the world with your easily malleable reasons for. Not to mention historically these states were never unified as one entity, only three of the current states have themselves, a historical relation to their current status. India, Bhutan, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka, Bangladesh, the Maldives are artificial bodies. Corpulent too.

Funny, I thought that's what the E.U. is trying to do. Explain how my reasons are 'malleable'. They are actually grounded in history (pretty sure I know more about the history of the subcontinent than you), and ground realities. There are already movements to unite these countries based on a number of factors.

As modern nation states there were never united, but many of these regions were united under various empires (Gupta, Mughal, Maurya, Sikh). And were united longer than some western nations have even existed. I find it amusing that you find nations like Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh 'corpulent'. Lol. You'll have to explain that one.

In fact, I suspect you know very little about this part of the world and thus are hardly in a position to offer an informed opinion on it. I wonder why you even posted. :rolleyes:
Original post by bolly_mad
Funny, I thought that's what the E.U. is trying to do. Explain how my reasons are 'malleable'. They are actually grounded in history (pretty sure I know more about the history of the subcontinent than you), and ground realities. There are already movements to unite these countries based on a number of factors.

As modern nation states there were never united, but many of these regions were united under various empires (Gupta, Mughal, Maurya, Sikh). And were united longer than some western nations have even existed. I find it amusing that you find nations like Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh 'corpulent'. Lol. You'll have to explain that one.

In fact, I suspect you know very little about this part of the world and thus are hardly in a position to offer an informed opinion on it. I wonder why you even posted. :rolleyes:

That isn't what the EU is trying to do. Give me one piece of legislature or solid evidence from parliment that it's the aim. Your reasons are "easily malleable" because you're advocating unification on grounds that can be molded in anyway as long as it seemingly fits your agenda of sub-continental unification.

Some of the nations were "united" under previous empires, yes. Though the indian continent has never been wholly unified, the Maurya empire, the largest pre-British Raj didn't occupy all of the southern Dravidian lands, and Hindustan was a concept of pre-Aryan origin. Not to mention the terminology of "unite" here is incredibly anachronistic. There weren't unifications, just despotism. Actually, most of the European states have existed in their present form, for longer than any of those states you ascertain. Burma which would be the most continuous, changed irrevocably in its stature, from the Pagan kingdom, to the Taungoo dynastic empire; not as long as most European states.

They're corpulent, inasmuch as I use it colloquially. Engulfing territory we gave to these states rather arbitrarily. Sri-Lanka as a unified concept is rather bemusing to say the least. Bhutan was a tributary state of varying people's, Bengali sultanates, Khamese Tibetan kingdoms. Bangladesh along with Pakistan is entirely fabricated out of sectarian idealism. And I'm pretty sure I know more than you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
That isn't what the EU is trying to do. Give me one piece of legislature or solid evidence from parliment that it's the aim. Your reasons are "easily malleable" because you're advocating unification on grounds that can be molded in anyway as long as it seemingly fits your agenda of sub-continental unification.

Some of the nations were "united" under previous empires, yes. Though the indian continent has never been wholly unified, the Maurya empire, the largest pre-British Raj didn't occupy all of the southern Dravidian lands, and Hindustan was a concept of pre-Aryan origin. Not to mention the terminology of "unite" here is incredibly anachronistic. There weren't unifications, just despotism. Actually, most of the European states have existed in their present form, for longer than any of those states you ascertain. Burma which would be the most continuous, changed irrevocably in its stature, from the Pagan kingdom, to the Taungoo dynastic empire; not as long as most European states.

They're corpulent, inasmuch as I use it colloquially. Engulfing territory we gave to these states rather arbitrarily. Sri-Lanka as a unified concept is rather bemusing to say the least. Bhutan was a tributary state of varying people's, Bengali sultanates, Khamese Tibetan kingdoms. Bangladesh along with Pakistan is entirely fabricated out of sectarian idealism. And I'm pretty sure I know more than you.

Can't quote legislation, but there are those in the corridors of power that want to see a USE. Though it remains to be seen whether the peoples of Europe want it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10559458/We-want-a-United-States-of-Europe-says-top-EU-official.html

Of course, I never said that any one single empire stretched across the entire subcontinent. But the descendants of all those empires that stretched across various areas of it, are now the peoples of South Asia. Collectively all the territories belonging to those empires belong to the peoples of South Asia. Though I do agree with you that Pakistan and Bangladesh are nations that were formed on a religious and divisive basis (Though one could also say the egos and politics of Nehru and Jinnah played just as big a role). In fact interestingly enough the partition of India was never even going to happen. It is simply the fact that both Nehru and Jinnah wanted to be the first Prime Minster of India and had different ideologies on governance (Nehru favoured strong central government, Jinnah favoured more federalism). Jinnah used the Muslim League and the threat of Pakistan as leverage. When it became clear he wasn't going to get his way, he pushed for partition. And after the fact was quoted as saying it was a grave mistake and wanted re-unification to take place. So at the very least India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have a strong basis for unification. The leadership of Afghanistan has also repeatedly stated they want a 'United States of South Asia'. So there is clearly support for it in some quarters of South Asia.

The Maurya Empire may not have stretched to 'Dravidian' lands. But the Maratha Empire did. And in any case, I'm not basing the unification of South Asia on any ONE empire or even on a history of multiple empires. I'm basing it on the improved economic situation, security, stability and quality of life that such a union could potentially bring. If unification benefits the peoples of South Asia more than being separate nations, I couldn't care less about history or which empires stretched over which lands.

And the truth is, it is not for a greek or whatever you are to decide what South Asians should or should not have. Whether you think South Asian nations are 'corpulent' is irrelevant since it does not concern or affect you. You can quote as many history lessons as you like, but to be honest, this thread was aimed at South Asians to discuss amongst themselves for or against. I'm more interested in their opinions since they are the ones who would be affected by it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending