The Student Room Group

PG references - who should I ask?

I've already got one reference from my Vice Dean, but I'm torn on whom to ask for the second one - it's between a young lecturer (cand.phil.)at my department who knows me extremely well, was my seminar leader for Global Politics & IR (I'm applying for IR) and my lecturer for several classes on international relations in the Middle East, OR the head of my sub-department - a Full Professor, taught several really bland classes on ethnic issues in politics, doesn't know me too well at all but could still write a really nice, albeit rather generic, reference. Should I go for the young enthusiastic one with no real standing at the department, or a really well-respected professor who doesn't really know me at all?
Reply 1
I'd say that if you've already got a Vice-Dean (what is their academic standing? I presume it's high) giving you a reference then you can afford to go for the enthusiastic one: the unis you're applying to will be able to tell that the other's just producing a really generic one, and the young lecturer sounds like he'll be able to give them a better impression of how you'll do as a post-grad.
Reply 2
I have absolutely no authority or knowledge on the issue, but my instinct says to take the guy that knows you better.

I doubt that an admissions tutor really knows everybody in their field. So just because the guy has a PhD doesnt mean that either the admissions tutor will i) know him or ii) believe his opinion is more important than someone elses.

Also what above poster said about the refernece being rather generic. Tutors, like employers, should surely be able to see through those generic references produced by many lecturers and thus I believe a passionate, detailed reference will stand you in better stead.
Reply 3
ill do it
Reply 4
The Boosh
ill do it

:biggrin:
I'd go for the one who knows you better, personally.

Latest

Trending

Trending