The Student Room Group

Would you be conscripted to fight ISIS?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't fight for the British State, conscripted ot not.
Original post by James Milibanter
Ah you'll be able to tell that i'm slightly left of the spectrum now, I believe it was Bush's administration, him and Tony Blair going into the Middle East all guns blazing, causing mass instability. Throughout history it has been clear that removing one regime and replacing it with another (even a democratic one) leads to civil unrest. The UK itself underwent years of civil war in order to establish its democratic powerhouse we call parliament.

I'm all over the place, conservatives would call me an ultra liberal and liberals would call me far right or something (using both words in the American sense, though I'm British). I'll take almost any ally on this crucial issue (defeating the jihad).

Anyway, would you not accept though that the situation in 2011 wasn't nearly as bad as it is today, and that maybe if all the American troops hadn't been taken out of Iraq for political reasons, IS would not have been able to exist in its current form? I don't even care about what you think about the wisdom of invading Iraq in 2003 - that happened, whether you agree with it or not. The question is this: the year is 2011, the Iraq war happened, Saddam no longer has his foot on the necks of Iraqis. Is it wise or unwise to lose the war as Obama did? I'd say Obama's actions were done in spite of all common sense and solely to appease people who were "anti-war" and didn't really, truly give two ****s about the situation of Iraqis, unless that situation could be blamed on their own government, and that had Obama kept a reasonably large force in Iraq the country would have progressed, slowly but surely, into a functioning, peaceful democracy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
I'm all over the place, conservatives would call me an ultra liberal and liberals would call me far right or something (using both words in the American sense, though I'm British). I'll take almost any ally on this crucial issue (defeating the jihad).

Anyway, would you not accept though that the situation in 2011 wasn't nearly as bad as it is today, and that maybe if all the American troops hadn't been taken out of Iraq for political reasons, IS would not have been able to exist in its current form? I don't even care about what you think about the wisdom of invading Iraq in 2003 - that happened, whether you agree with it or not. The question is this: the year is 2011, the Iraq war happened, Saddam no longer has his foot on the necks of Iraqis. Is it wise or unwise to lose the war as Obama did? I'd say Obama's actions were done in spite of all common sense and solely to appease people who were "anti-war" and didn't really, truly give two ****s about the situation of Iraqis, unless that situation could be blamed on their own government, and that had Obama kept a reasonably large force in Iraq the country would have progressed, slowly but surely, into a functioning, peaceful democracy.

Yes, I agree. But the problem is that in the absence of Obama, I don't see what would have changed.
Name one war which occurred during
the last century in which Britain was
fighting in favour of tyranny, against
democrats.
I do as a matter of fact consider what
I'm fighting for as the most important
thing. If I was fighting for Britain,
then I would be fighting for a
(reasonably) secular, liberal
democracy where minorities (on the
whole) have rights and free speech
(with minor flaws) exists.

WWII, where the UK fought against Finland with the backing of the Soviet Union
Original post by declineandfall1
Name one war which occurred during
the last century in which Britain was
fighting in favour of tyranny, against
democrats.
I do as a matter of fact consider what
I'm fighting for as the most important
thing. If I was fighting for Britain,
then I would be fighting for a
(reasonably) secular, liberal
democracy where minorities (on the
whole) have rights and free speech
(with minor flaws) exists.

WWII, where the UK fought against Finland with the backing of the Soviet Union

Funny guy.

Finland's situation in WWII is actually pretty interesting. It was surrounded by two opposing tyrannies (Germany and the USSR), who were really as bad as each other. I suppose it had to pick a side and it went with Germany.

Anyway, the claim that the UK was fighting in favour of tyranny during WWII is such a sick joke that I'm not going to bother responding to it.
If I was forced to fight I would rather it be with those anarchist like Kurd people. If I had to fight and kill people I would rather it be for a cause like that.

I would rather not though, I would be a useless combat soldier and have an actual fear of being conscripted :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by noobynoo
If the government said, "We are conscripting all able men aged 18-41" to join the army and fight ISIS in the Middle East. Would you join up?

Do you even know what conscription is?

Anyway, if I had to be in the fight I'd like to be a sniper or a guy flying drones to drop firebombs on ISIS people :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, I agree. But the problem is that in the absence of Obama, I don't see what would have changed.

Well, were McCain or Romney planning on removing all forces?
Obama would never do that to me, he my homeboy from high school even if I was a douche to him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe not McCain, but the war in Iraq is not really that popular with Tea Party folks.
Well, were McCain or Romney planning on removing all forces?

No, but I could have easily seen either one of them escalating the situation in Iraq to a point where it becomes much worse than our current. Also, Bin Laden was killed during Obama's tenure, there's no saying if that would've happened under a republican government.
No, but I could have easily seen either one of them escalating the situation in Iraq to a point where it becomes much worse than our current. Also, Bin Laden was killed during Obama's tenure, there's no saying if that would've happened under a republican government.

True, Obama does deserve some credit for that. But it wasn't much more than a token gesture.

I somehow doubt that any escalation of violence would have occurred had a troop presence remained. It would have been a defence force to bolster the hopeless Iraqi army. Any sign of jihad would have been opposed before it could snowball into a monster like IS.
True, Obama does deserve some credit for that. But it wasn't much more than a token gesture.

I somehow doubt that any escalation of violence would have occurred had a troop presence remained. It would have been a defence force to bolster the hopeless Iraqi army. Any sign of jihad would have been opposed before it could snowball into a monster like IS.

I suppose but you can't really blame the American's for voting Democrat when Bush's administration was such a shambles.
I suppose but you can't really blame the American's for voting Democrat when Bush's administration was such a shambles.

Yeah - I don't hold voters personally responsible for Obama's awful foreign policy (I hold Obama responsible for that), and I agree that you can't really expect people to put foreign issues higher on their priority list than their own first world problems.

I also prefer a lot of Obama's domestic policy to that of the Republicans (I support free healthcare for example).
What other option is there really? If people are dying and my country needs me to help stop the savages who kill them, then I am either a coward or traitor who has not looked evil in the face and dealt with it.
As much as ISIS is an issue, and I'm not a male anyway, I think I'd refuse to do so. Everyone should have a choice in what fight they jon. And anyway, things like conscription and army involvement is what half caused this mess. After all, all these terrorist claims and issues rose when America invaded Iraq and some other countries I cannot mention at the moment off the top of my head.

And anyway, volunteering doesn't sound like a good decision in my head at all. Although you're seemingly fighting the good fight, the lives of many civilians and citizens are still at war. I can't imagine the scale of the effects that would come out if there was some kind of conscription for people to join the fight against ISIS. For example, racism would definitely be a high issue. Throwing around bombs won't solve anything until people start acknowledging the past and stop for just one second to think of what decisions would be appropriate to make, and what way would be appropriate when approaching the situation.
Original post by The_Internet
If I was forced to fight, I would be like "Oh but Im WAY more useful in the technology sector" Yknow safe in the UK, away from the actual fighting, but making sure all the communications and stuff work...

Good thinking. Physics gradutes used to work in the radar stuff in world war 2. Safe in a bunnker somewhere whilst all the working class act as cannon fodder.
Yeah - I don't hold voters personally responsible for Obama's awful foreign policy (I hold Obama responsible for that), and I agree that you can't really expect people to put foreign issues higher on their priority list than their own first world problems.

I also prefer a lot of Obama's domestic policy to that of the Republicans (I support free healthcare for example).

I agree but also I disagree with near enough all of the policies, I am a red at heart even with my libertarian values. The entire political system in the US just sickens me, for want of a better word.
Not unless people that I personally know and give a damn about were being directly threatened. I've got no allegiance to anyone else, certainly not our 'politicians'.
Original post by justagurl
As much as ISIS is an issue, and I'm not a male anyway, I think I'd refuse to do so. Everyone should have a choice in what fight they jon. And anyway, things like conscription and army involvement is what half caused this mess. After all, all these terrorist claims and issues rose when America invaded Iraq and some other countries I cannot mention at the moment off the top of my head.

And anyway, volunteering doesn't sound like a good decision in my head at all. Although you're seemingly fighting the good fight, the lives of many civilians and citizens are still at war. I can't imagine the scale of the effects that would come out if there was some kind of conscription for people to join the fight against ISIS. For example, racism would definitely be a high issue. Throwing around bombs won't solve anything until people start acknowledging the past and stop for just one second to think of what decisions would be appropriate to make, and what way would be appropriate when approaching the situation.

Women can be perfectly capable Apache pilots. In fact they can do pretty much anything on the battlefield that men can do, as Kurdish female soldiers have shown. (Other countries have female soldiers too, notably Israel, which has conscription as well).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending