The Student Room Group

too long...

i'd luv to be a doctor...but the whole process just takes too long...
i think its the most satisfying job in teh world...im just not sure whether its for me...
i luv bio...even tho i hate the teacher..and i luv contact wiht people...if only the course was a bit shorter...i'd definately go for it...

Scroll to see replies

you need chemistry for medecine at A-Level not just biology. And i think if you believe you'll find it so satisfying you should definitly go for it. Why is length such an issue?
Reply 2
yeah i agree!! in the end it will be 'worth the wait' as they say!!:rolleyes:

if it is something you see yourself doing and you want to do it.. length shouldn't be an issue!

And haha.. i hate my bio teacher!! Infact my friend wants to do medicine but because the course was taught by a crap teacher.. she didnt take biology.. now she regrets it because she wants to do medicine! (Tho chemistry is (for the majority of uni's i believe) is the more important science for medicine!!)

Wishing you all the best.:smile:

Hmm.. you could talk to them guidance teacher things at school? There are plenty of other medical related professions.. not necessarily a doctor that will take a shorter time to complete!
Reply 3
surely, if u rele wna become a doctor, the whole constant learning experience is actually quite appealing...?

As they say.....med school is just the beginning...
Reply 4
Schmeevey
surely, if u rele wna become a doctor, the whole constant learning experience is actually quite appealing...?

lol... if only...
Reply 5
Revenged- do u not find it appealing then?...fair enuf
Reply 6
i never said that... some things are appealing...

but the "constant learning experience"... come on... as if any medical student likes that...
Reply 7
well if you think that the course is too long.... you're going to be learning for the rest of your life.... if you can commit yourself to that, then go for it, but look into the course, get some experience, and see what you feel... we can't tell you what you want to do :smile:
Reply 8
Revenged

but the "constant learning experience"... come on... as if any medical student likes that...

hmm lol yes i see ur point
Reply 9
Medicine rocks!

As pointed out - med school really is only the very, very beginning - exams from med school to consultant! With CPD factored in too... So if the thought of 5 years of med school put you off...
Reply 10
Unlikw other jobs if you decide to medicine, it will most likely change every apect of your future life... social life, perception of family/ society of you, your apperence, what you like and more importantly your perception of life.

so basically its a life defining choice, so Get it right.
dont mean to pressure u, but you should also trust your instinct and dont overthink too much.
Reply 11
don't do it if it's too long, it means more spaces for the rest of us.

tbh tho, thats a ridiculous statement - a normal, bog standard degree is 3 years - for medicine you have to do just two more years to be in the position
where you have people's lives in your hands.

not really that long considering what you're studying for is it??
Reply 12
well said yoshin, when there are lives on the line, the extra 2 years seems pretty insignificant, plus get to live as a student for longer haha
Reply 13
I feel sorry for our SHO - a week away from his MRCP part two exam - trying to work and study (some 2.5 years after graduating from med school :wink: ) :frown:
Revenged

In the form of lectures on things like proteins, no, in the form of actual practicals/patients, yes.
Reply 15
Think about it ...

a Law student would do 3 years, try and get a job at the end of it, not get one, stay on and do a masters (so that's 4 years total) and then still no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

A med student does 5, and at the end they go in to a near certain job. No redundancy (although the Government seem to be wrecking that), decent wage, waking up not knowing what your day could entail ... I can certainly see why medicine appeals to people.
Reply 16
mlc409
Think about it ...

a Law student would do 3 years, try and get a job at the end of it, not get one, stay on and do a masters (so that's 4 years total) and then still no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

A med student does 5, and at the end they go in to a near certain job. No redundancy (although the Government seem to be wrecking that), decent wage, waking up not knowing what your day could entail ... I can certainly see why medicine appeals to people.

You are neither a medical nor a law student are you?

Law students - do degree, and if they want to be a solicitor or barrister (lets call them BarSols), you do two years of training to qualify... Training contract for sols, and BVC + pupilage for bars...

And I fail to see how a starting salary of less than £20k for 5 years of study is a decent wage - my graduate starting salary in 1999 was more :wink:
mlc409
Think about it ...

A job isn't even near certain for a graduate medic these days
I think a job is essentially guaranteed - one in which promotion is possible is not guaranteed however.
Reply 19
Someone with a medical degree will, in 99% of cases, ALWAYS find a job.

Latest

Trending

Trending