The Student Room Group

Yes/No question on Clearing!

I'm planning on applying through clearing this year, will I still need a reference? Because UCAS says to phone unis directly and they'll say yes or no directly on the phone if they can offer you a place, SO if they say yes, why would they bother reading your ref and Personal Statement?
Original post by RC5496
I'm planning on applying through clearing this year, will I still need a reference? Because UCAS says to phone unis directly and they'll say yes or no directly on the phone if they can offer you a place, SO if they say yes, why would they bother reading your ref and Personal Statement?
You need to have a proper Ucas application with all its parts in order to access Clearing. The person on the other end of the phone will only speak to you if you have a Clearing number, which enables them to access your application form, and they will be reading both your ps and your reference before deciding to offer you a place or not. A Ucas application cannot be sent without everything being completed, including the ps and the reference.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You need to have a proper Ucas application with all its parts in order to access Clearing. The person on the other end of the phone will only speak to you if you have a Clearing number, which enables them to access your application form, and they will be reading both your ps and your reference before deciding to offer you a place or not. A Ucas application cannot be sent without everything being completed, including the ps and the reference.

Okay doke, that sorts that out for me then!! Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by RC5496

It's worth bearing in mind that unis do not HAVE to say yes or no on the phone. Some may have a look at your application first, then call you back, or talk to you, then look at your application, then give a decision a bit later on. It's not normal for unis to take very long doing this, but some unis, especially ones who don't historically use clearing, can make applicants wait a couple of days or longer.

Even if they do make a decision straight away on the phone, unis will use your clearing number to read your application as they talk to you- often the admissions interview will include questions relating to things you've written on your PS, and if your PS is hard to read or written in poor English, this is likely to put admissions tutors off. Unis won't usually talk to students without a clearing number, or at least they won't interview them properly, because they want to look at the application as they do so.

Clearing can be very competitive, and unis do say no to applicants, so you really want to have the best PS and reference you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending