The Student Room Group

Bone Marrow Donor

I'm thinking about being a bone marrow donor, I already give blood and I'm on the organ donor list, so it's just another way of helping people

I was reading the procedure of the transplant and it says there's two ways of doing it; when does the surgery need to be performed? It's the less common of the two ways to donate but sometimes you have to do it that way, so I was just wondering under what circumstances I'd have surgery

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's related to how urgent its needed, quality etc. I've had a similar operation and it hurts for a few days but is otherwise fine.

A few days of aching to save a life is a pretty decent trade off IMO!

(I've had a BMT - www.anthonynolan.org to sign up; all you need to do is spit in a bottle)

Posted from TSR Mobile
The surgical method isn't used as often any more, it's more likely they would use the peripheral stem cell collection method, 8/10 collections are done this way. To join the Anthony Nolan register you just have to give a saliva sample. I'll post a link up later on when I'm on the laptop about how they collect stem cells :smile:
Reply 3
This question sounds so stupid and selfish, but would it be best to wait till after my exams to join the register?

I know the chances of being pulled as a match during my exam season is slim, but there's still a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmEchelon
This question sounds so stupid and selfish, but would it be best to wait till after my exams to join the register?

I know the chances of being pulled as a match during my exam season is slim, but there's still a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's completely up to you, it's a slim chance, but if you would feel more comfortable waiting then do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest