The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Engineering at Imperial

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions! So I'm currently studying for my GCSEs and I've been predicted all As and A*s and the a levels I've picked are maths, further maths, physics and art.
1) I want to do either an engineering degree or a degree in computer science (either aeronautical, mechanical or design) so are these the right a levels for me?
2) since I am a girl, would I have a greater chance of getting into the degree course than a guy who's the same ability as me or less?

Thanks! Any help of information would be great :P
Reply 1
Original post by Yoboxox
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions! So I'm currently studying for my GCSEs and I've been predicted all As and A*s and the a levels I've picked are maths, further maths, physics and art.
1) I want to do either an engineering degree or a degree in computer science (either aeronautical, mechanical or design) so are these the right a levels for me?
2) since I am a girl, would I have a greater chance of getting into the degree course than a guy who's the same ability as me or less?

Thanks! Any help of information would be great :P

Hey.

1) Have you looked at the entrance requirements for Imperial's engineering courses online? Requirements may well change by the time you get to the point where you are in a position to apply. But it's worth looking to find out if your A level choices are suitable.

For mechanical engineering for example the requirements are:

"We require A*AAA or A*A*A overall, to include:

- A* in Mathematics
- A*/A in Physics
- A in one or two of the following: Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Design Technology, Economics, Electronics, Further Mathematics, Art and Design (4th A-Level only), French or German (H304 Mechanical Engineering with a Year Abroad only)."

In terms of subjects you fit the first two requirements with your Maths and Physics, and you meet the 3rd requirement with Further Maths. Art would also be accepted as a 4th A level. So you're all good there!

A quick check shows your subject choices meet the requirements for Aeronautical engineering and Computing as well. Of course you will need to get top grades.

2) Being a girl is not supposed to make a difference as it is college policy to to consider applications solely on academic grounds. You'll get in if they think you can cope with the demands of the course and if you can beat the competition. You'll be judged on your academic achievements, reference, your personal statement, and your interview performance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending