The Student Room Group

How can I get into nursing at uni

I heard it's really really competitive to get into nursing. To people who have gotten in or people who are nurses, help please!! I know experience is necessary but what else do unis like to see on your personal statement? What kind of questions do they ask in the interviews and is the course hard? What should I expect if I get in?
Reply 1
Original post by safiyyah98
I heard it's really really competitive to get into nursing. To people who have gotten in or people who are nurses, help please!! I know experience is necessary but what else do unis like to see on your personal statement? What kind of questions do they ask in the interviews and is the course hard? What should I expect if I get in?

I think it really depends on which branch you want to go in. I guess in order of competitiveness it would go 1. Child 2. Adult 3. MH 4. LD. I think that there are a lot more applicants per place for childrens nursing and places are usually significantly less than the places for adult at the same university.

Last year I applied for childrens nursing, out of 5 universities I had 3 out right rejections and then two interviews followed by rejections. This year I applied for adult nursing as I changed my mind about branch, I had two rejections straight off because of my academic background (will explain it after) and three interviews and I received a place from all three uni's I interviewed at.

My academic background is not so great after GCSE, I got 10 GCSE's at A or B, three A levels C and below and then a 3rd class honours degree in Chemistry and Human Biology. My poor A levels and degree result are the reasons for not getting an interview at those two universities this time around. As for experience, at the time of my interviews I had worked as a healthcare assistant for 18 months-ish. I think thats what gave my application the greatest boost. Nothing beats hands on experience!

What stage are you currently at in your education? Your current qualifications are really important to get to at least interview stage and then after that, it'll be your knowledge of current nursing affairs and how the interviewers perceive you. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me anything, I start my adult nursing course this September :]
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I was planning on going into child nursing but if it is that competitive then maybe I'll reconsiser. I'm doingy A levels at the moment and I'm in year 12, I'm trying to sort out volunteering in a care home once a week and volunteering at a nursery once a week and also I've applied for a weeks experience at my local hospital. Which universities are most competitive for nursing? Again thank you so much!
Reply 3
Thank you so much! I was planning on going into child nursing but if it is that competitive then maybe I'll reconsiser. I'm doingy A levels at the moment and I'm in year 12, I'm trying to sort out volunteering in a care home once a week and volunteering at a nursery once a week and also I've applied for a weeks experience at my local hospital. Which universities are most competitive for nursing? Again thank you so much!

I'd say choose your universities wisely, nursing is a very demanding degree and going to one that's famous for partying may not be the best idea as while you're trying to get some sleep for your 7am start on placement, people are getting drunk and making noise isn't exactly ideal. I think discussing with your teachers after you get your As results to see what kind of predicted grade you can expect is a good place to start. From there you can narrow down your choices by which ones you're more likely to get the grades to get in to. Most important of all though is going on open days for the ones you're seriously considering to get a feel for the place. The more comfortable and like a home from home it can be, the more you are setting yourself up for success. Check out university league tables, the higher up ones are probably going to be more competitive with higher entrance requirements. :redface:

Also, don't worry if you don't get in first time, take a year out and get a job at a hospital (rather than a nursing home, just so you experience more) earn some money, maybe try and get on a few clinical skill courses (venepuncture/cannulation etc) if you get a job in a hospital.

Just to add another little bit in, don't get disheartened by children's being the most competitive, if its what you really want to do then you've got as good a chance as anyone to get in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Ok thanks so much for your help, I'll do just that! One final question if you don't mind, do employers care what uni u went to to get your nursing degree? Cuz I would have thought that they don't mind as long as you have the degree. And also what kind of questions did they ask in the interview?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Ok thanks so much for your help, I'll do just that! One final question if you don't mind, do employers care what uni u went to to get your nursing degree? Cuz I would have thought that they don't mind as long as you have the degree. And also what kind of questions did they ask in the interview?

Employers don't care what university you went to or what degree classification you got, as long as you are a registered nurse, thats all that matters.

As for about the interviews, i'd recommend "Getting Into Nursing" by Karen Elcock and "What is Nursing?" by Carol Hall. I got these books and they are really helpful. Gives you all sorts of information about preparing for interviews and all that, they're what I used to prepare. There are a handful of different interview formats such as one to one, small group discussion, large group tasks etc. Once you get to the stage of having chosen your universities, research into their interview method and prepare for them individually. The most common questions I got asked at all of mine were 'why do you want to be a nurse?' and 'what qualities do you possess that you feel make you suitable to be a nurse'. But yeah, those two books should do the trick!

Edit: Not just registration that matters, I should add, depending on what kind of setting you want to work in! That and being a friendly, approachable and reasonably confident person :]
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Omg thank you so much I really appreciate it I feel more prepared now lol! Good luck to you starting this September and have fun!! 😊👍
Reply 7
Original post by Dadeo
I'd say choose your universities wisely, nursing is a very demanding degree and going to one that's famous for partying may not be the best idea as while you're trying to get some sleep for your 7am start on placement, people are getting drunk and making noise isn't exactly ideal. I think discussing with your teachers after you get your As results to see what kind of predicted grade you can expect is a good place to start. From there you can narrow down your choices by which ones you're more likely to get the grades to get in to. Most important of all though is going on open days for the ones you're seriously considering to get a feel for the place. The more comfortable and like a home from home it can be, the more you are setting yourself up for success. Check out university league tables, the higher up ones are probably going to be more competitive with higher entrance requirements. :redface:

Also, don't worry if you don't get in first time, take a year out and get a job at a hospital (rather than a nursing home, just so you experience more) earn some money, maybe try and get on a few clinical skill courses (venepuncture/cannulation etc) if you get a job in a hospital.

Just to add another little bit in, don't get disheartened by children's being the most competitive, if its what you really want to do then you've got as good a chance as anyone to get in.

Please I need your advice. I am currently working as an HCA in mental Hospital. I had 3rd class in Microbiology. My trust do secondment for post and don't do for undergraduate. Please I need your advice

Please which university will accept 3rd class in post graduate studies in mental Nursing. Location close to London.I am currently working as Health Care Assistant.

Original post by Ndidipat
Please I need your advice. I am currently working as an HCA in mental Hospital. I had 3rd class in Microbiology. My trust do secondment for post and don't do for undergraduate. Please I need your advice

Please which university will accept 3rd class in post graduate studies in mental Nursing. Location close to London.I am currently working as Health Care Assistant.

This website https://university.which.co.uk/https://university.which.co.uk/ may help you, you can search university courses & should be able to find out if your previous degree will be accepted as an entry requirement. Otherwise you can look at each university's website at PGdip mental health entry requirements.
I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending