The Student Room Group

Which Uni is better in Chemstry

Hi,

I am looking to study Chemistry at uni from Sep 2015. I have applied via UCAS and received offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham. I now have to choose which will be the firm choice and which will be the insurance choice out of the three. Anyone with any advice and/or personal experience is welcome.
Hi

I've moved your thread to the physics and chemistry sub-forum, as it's more likely to be seen here by those with personal experience of studying chemistry at uni.

If you have the chance, I would also recommend visiting any unis you're interested in again before making you final decision.
Reply 2
Original post by john123429
Hi,

I am looking to study Chemistry at uni from Sep 2015. I have applied via UCAS and received offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham. I now have to choose which will be the firm choice and which will be the insurance choice out of the three. Anyone with any advice and/or personal experience is welcome.

Hey :smile: Im going to study chemistry in September too! I have firmed Warwick for chemistry :smile: without trying to sound too biased Warwick is probably the best choice, followed by ucl. The problem with Nottingham is the new chemistry labs they were building recently burnt down and that may have an impact, while at Warwick they are only a couple of years old :smile: UCL and Warwick are both great unis so it really comes down to if you want a London uni with traffic and horrible grey buildings around or a campus uni surrounded by fields :smile: I have grown up in the country and hate cities, hence why i went with Warwick :smile: I looked at both Warwick and Nottingham and the tutors seem more enthusiastic at Warwick :smile: I dont know what the tutors at UCL are like...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Hmht
Hey :smile: Im going to study chemistry in September too! I have firmed Warwick for chemistry :smile: without trying to sound too biased Warwick is probably the best choice, followed by ucl. The problem with Nottingham is the new chemistry labs they were building recently burnt down and that may have an impact, while at Warwick they are only a couple of years old :smile: UCL and Warwick are both great unis so it really comes down to if you want a London uni with traffic and horrible grey buildings around or a campus uni surrounded by fields :smile: I have grown up in the country and hate cities, hence why i went with Warwick :smile: I looked at both Warwick and Nottingham and the tutors seem more enthusiastic at Warwick :smile: I dont know what the tutors at UCL are like...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply.
Currently I live just outside London; so if I get into UCL I would be living at home and travel everyday. I didn't really like the atmosphere though: the campus is really small; the buildings are dull-coloured (especially the chemistry building). I am not sure if I will get the uni experience I was hoping for. I will be going to open day at Nottingham next week, so hopefully I can make up my mind after that.
Reply 4
Original post by john123429

I'd go Nottingham, based on the full package. There's not enough difference between those departments to make any outright claims. Nottingham has a great research reputation though. Regarding the labs: the current ones are fine / undergraduates I believe haven't really been affected. The new building was largely intended for research (into sustainable processes) and some resources for advanced undergraduate (i.e. not your first years) so by the time you're there they'll have rebuilt as intended.

I didn't really like the campus thing from Warwick. I think the department was decent, the students I spoke to were helpful, and the staff seemed good. Most chemistry buildings aren't going to be pretty, but at least most other places have nicer bits :tongue:

Never been to UCL but i'd highly recommend getting away from home, and it does lack it's own sort of space being in London.

Are the offers different? I imagine Warwick's might be slightly lower? In which case Notthingham firmed and Warwick insured would be a pretty nice set up for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Nymthae
I'd go Nottingham, based on the full package. There's not enough difference between those departments to make any outright claims. Nottingham has a great research reputation though. Regarding the labs: the current ones are fine / undergraduates I believe haven't really been affected. The new building was largely intended for research (into sustainable processes) and some resources for advanced undergraduate (i.e. not your first years) so by the time you're there they'll have rebuilt as intended.

I didn't really like the campus thing from Warwick. I think the department was decent, the students I spoke to were helpful, and the staff seemed good. Most chemistry buildings aren't going to be pretty, but at least most other places have nicer bits :tongue:

Never been to UCL but i'd highly recommend getting away from home, and it does lack it's own sort of space being in London.

Are the offers different? I imagine Warwick's might be slightly lower? In which case Notthingham firmed and Warwick insured would be a pretty nice set up for you.

Thanks for the reply.
The offers I get from Warwick and Nottingham are the same; UCL is slightly higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending