The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Awwww Ian you're so kind. Fortunately when I am freaked out by something my studies do not get compromised. On the contrary, I immerse myself in them.

And of course I've preordered a Wii! My name IS Princess Peach afterall :wink:

P.S. Are you the guy I saw at the Cuths Grease freshers gigg?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
So perhaps I was too harsh. Perhaps it is more appropriate to say that they are ignorant/unaware of the effect their suicide will have on others. Selfishness implies an awereness that is simply not there in the bulk of true suicide attempts.

You changed your tune..
Reply 42
that's truly awful. :frown:
no sorry, havent been to cuths this year yet, its the otherside of town for me :smile:

im tempted for a wii, but it will only distract me from my studies so ill treat myself to one in the summer :P (to the disappointment of my housemates)

well hope you have a good weekend + week, and that the essay gets done :P

Ian
Are you living in Ian? Do you have a TV?

I'm going to pick up my Wii at midnight on launch! Hardcore! =D
Nah Im living out with a tempremental tv :redface:

We queued up for a fair few hours to get a £100 xbox 360 from virgin in newcastle, but I know a Wii would seriously ruin my degree, so I'm not going to be tempted until the summer, even though my birthday is real soon :smile:

Ian

PS. Just incase you were wondering I haven't played on the XBox yet, nor have I had any proper time on my gamecube :frown:
lol its certainly going to be a personal battle of will for me come december #^_^#
Reply 47
All my work is due in on the 7th December, which is handy. Or it would be, if I was getting a Wii :bawling:
Reply 48
I was expecting to see sth else clicking on the title of this topic. Thought u guys were talking about suicide at Durham Uni, bleah... Btw, have there been anyone committed suicide at the uni due to stress or whatever reasons? Just curious as I know there re quite a few EACH YEAR at those Ivy League unis in the States, with MIT leading the league (the suicide league, I mean:biggrin:)!
Reply 49
I love how this thread has gone from a serious discussion of suicide to games consoles........true Durham forum style.
A few, but it's hardly relevant.
Princess_Peach
Pills are always an option. Why the train method?

pill aren't always a certainty, you'd need the right dosage for starters. Plus as backward as it is maybe she didn't wnat her fmaily to have to find her? Obviously some poor soul had to find her and clean up after, not to mention all the people who were unfortuante to witness it. Suicide is nasty business, and yes selfish, but i'm not going to judge the victim as its not my place
pill aren't always a certainty, you'd need the right dosage for starters. Plus as backward as it is maybe she didn't wnat her fmaily to have to find her? Obviously some poor soul had to find her and clean up after, not to mention all the people who were unfortuante to witness it. Suicide is nasty business, and yes selfish, but i'm not going to judge the victim as its not my place

Yet you are going to come to a forum you've never commented in before and speculate. Can somebody lock this thread, or move it to H&R? Not to have a go at you PP, I'm sorry you had to witness that stuff, but it's kinda irrelevant now and just going to drag on in a pointless argument with people jumping in from all over the place to add their 2c.
Still Matt, it is an interesting (and local-related) discussion.
Reply 54
You can hardly have a go at the guy for giving his opinion, this is an open forum. Though I do think this should perhaps be moved to H&R if it's going to continue.
Reply 55
Jelkin
You can hardly have a go at the guy for giving his opinion, this is an open forum. Though I do think this should perhaps be moved to H&R if it's going to continue.

Girl. :p:
Reply 56
Hate to dampen the mood even more - but good story - sad, but good

My neighbour had cancer and couldn't live with it so jumped infront of a train, which took her legs off.

Then she spent 6 months in a mental hospital recovering from her depression and one day she had enough....again. She got her friend to help her escape, and they went to the train station, where her friend pushed her wheelchair onto the tracks and then followed her.

She was such a nice woman before the illness, tradjedy really, but i suppose it was justified.

Some people just cant live with themselves/others/secrets/life

:frown:
Reply 57
I know a train driver with London Underground who had somebody jump infront of his train and kill themselves.

The standard policy for such events meant that he got 5 months paid leave (compulsory!) to give him time to recover from the stress, seek counselling, whatever else.

In reality he couldn't give a **** and just had a nice relaxing 5 month holiday. So don't feel too sorry for the driver.

On another note I was reading an article about suicide methods the other day, those of you who were saying "why not just take pills" might be interested to know that men and women usually favour different suicide methods. Men like to have a guaranteed, quick death, and so usually do things like jump off a building, jump off a bridge, shoot themselves in the head, that sort of thing. Whereas women like to have a get-out clause incase they change their minds half way through, this is why they often take pills, then if they change their mind quickly enough they can be rushed to hospital and probably survive.
Reply 58
People are always hoying themselves off the viaduct and other similar places around Durham, I would't lost too much sleep over it.
Rolli!
So don't feel too sorry for the driver.

What you describe is a rare (and horrific) attitude of one particular driver. The vast majority and drivers (and other people observing) would be seriously disturbed by watching such an act.

"Whereas women like to have a get-out clause incase they change their minds half way through, this is why they often take pills"

This was a woman.

Latest

Trending

Trending