The Student Room Group

Oversea Graduate. Prospects in the UK?

Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of someone and your help would be much appreciated.

So a friend of mine is currently doing his bachelor in Engineering in India. He will be completing his degree. However, he wants to come to the UK after that and find a good job, well paid etc.

So when he comes to the UK, what prospects will he have? Will his degree from India be counted in the UK at the same level? What about master, how many years will he have to be in Uni for that?

In terms of companies, will they accept him and give him a job according to his degree? Are apprenticeships a possibility as well?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by MsFahima
Hi,

So a friend of mine is currently doing his bachelor in Engineering in India. He will be completing his degree. However, he wants to come to the UK after that and find a good job, well paid etc.

From what I know, it will be incredibly difficult for your friend to work here due to work visa issues and a lot of companies don't really like sponsoring overseas graduates (visa wise).
Reply 2
Original post by a10
From what I know, it will be incredibly difficult for your friend to work here due to work visa issues and a lot of companies don't really like sponsoring overseas graduates (visa wise).

I understand that, but if he did eventually get here what would be the prospects?
Reply 3
I understand that, but if he did eventually get here what would be the prospects?

probably quite poor to be honest...

He's better off trying to get into a big global company in India and then using that advantage to 'sort of' come over here but it might take a while don't know really it's tricky...
Reply 4
Original post by a10
probably quite poor to be honest...

He's better off trying to get into a big global company in India and then using that advantage to 'sort of' come over here but it might take a while don't know really it's tricky...

Oh okay. Thank you for you advice. :smile:

But is a degree done in India, recognised in the UK?
Reply 5

no idea, sorry :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by a10
no idea, sorry :smile:

No problem, thank you! :smile:
Oh okay. Thank you for you advice. :smile:

The quality of degrees from other countries can be of a concern to companies here, although before the visa restrictions people were being recruited from lots of places.

I think the biggest issue is the visa, though.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
The quality of degrees from other countries can be of a concern to companies here, although before the visa restrictions people were being recruited from lots of places.

I think the biggest issue is the visa, though.

Oh okay. Assuming he gets a visa, it would depend on the company whether they would employ the person or not?
Oh okay. Assuming he gets a visa, it would depend on the company whether they would employ the person or not?

Well, yes, because it always depends on the company.
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
Well, yes, because it always depends on the company.

Thanks for your reply and advice! :smile:
Hi,

I am asking this on behalf of someone and your help would be much appreciated.

So when he comes to the UK, what prospects will he have? Will his degree from India be counted in the UK at the same level? What about master, how many years will he have to be in Uni for that?

In terms of companies, will they accept him and give him a job according to his degree? Are apprenticeships a possibility as well?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Does he go to an IIT? If he does, I don't see him having a problem with (good) employers recognizing his degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
Does he go to an IIT? If he does, I don't see him having a problem with (good) employers recognizing his degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, he doesn't. :frown:
It will help if he has skills on the shortage occupation list:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/308513/shortageoccupationlistapril14.pdf

Also will help if he has some years of experience (not just a new graduate)
It would be very risky for your friend to just come to the UK and just start searching for a job, the chances that he will get one are very slim.His best chance of working in the UK is by first coming to the UK by some other means such as getting a studentship and coming to the UK for further study (also not very easy) and then looking for a job whilst he is here.

On a side note, has your friend ever considered going to Australia? If you are graduate engineer you can get a 18 month long work permit in Australia without a job offer.In that period you can undertake any kind of work for any kind of company.I'm sure that's bound to simplify the job search a bit.You might want to look that up, it's a "Subclass 476" visa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending