The Student Room Group

Do men in the middle east respect women?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by childofthesun
Meh. I'm Middle Eastern(Lebanese) and I've lived/spent a lot of time there. I don't think your statement is really accurate or fair. From my own experiences and from the males in my family, the men mostly respect women. But then again there have been certain moments in Lebanon where I've experienced harassment from men on the street, but i guess that's an issue not specific to the ME alone

Finally someone who actually states both sides of the story.

oh and experience of life within the country too, something a few of you are lacking.
Reply 61
Original post by childofthesun
Meh. I'm Middle Eastern(Lebanese) and I've lived/spent a lot of time there. I don't think your statement is really accurate or fair. From my own experiences and from the males in my family, the men mostly respect women. But then again there have been certain moments in Lebanon where I've experienced harassment from men on the street, but i guess that's an issue not specific to the ME alone

Oh really?
http://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/comment/4a6575fe-7f14-4585-b8ec-b2e4ad7315e7
Reply 62
Original post by inc0gnito
Finally someone who actually states both sides of the story.

oh and experience of life within the country too, something a few of you are lacking.

Here's your fourth country buster.

http://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/comment/4a6575fe-7f14-4585-b8ec-b2e4ad7315e7
Original post by Arieisit
My ideology? Please tell me what it is. I love when people have nothing else to argue and they resort to ad hominen, it's a clear sign of losing an argument. You have no knowledge of my educational background nor my age, yet you attack. Funny.

I'm literally staring at THIS thread where you titled it something generalising all m.e men based on ONE video.

This isn't even an equation, tell me its not hard to understand.
Why should men have a Men's day? That's equivalent to saying let's have a white history month. They [we] are the rule of law so everyday is Men's day and all history is white history, therefore it's pointless to celebrate or highlight something that's so dominant already, don't you think?

*ahem*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

I'm not aiming this at OP, I have no idea where he stand on this but on TSR it only deems acceptable to agree with sentiment women could be oppressed if it is used as a means to bash the middle east (which normally means Muslims).
(edited 9 years ago)
Not in Israel :wink:
Original post by Meyrin
You'll get a "Men's Day" when your gender has been beaten, raped, trodden on and treated as material commodities with no rights rather than actual people for thousands of years, and have only just begun receiving fair treatment in the last fify.

Literally all of this applies to men. Read a book.
(edited 9 years ago)

Well done, unfortunately for you, I don't credit such a source. But you see, the wonderful thing about such a source is, that a law of some sort has been passed preventing or curbing such acts. Domestic violence occurs in the UK, do you see me crying over it and protesting? Its one thing to invoke domestic violence, but another to prevent it, its inevitable.

next source/country pls.
Reply 68
I've never been but I know people who have lived there, grew up there. Saudi Arabia to be specific. Women are treated like a second class of human over there. I've also known people from Israel as well, same story. Iran too. Shall I continue?

I know friends who've grown up in Saudi. They've never complained about being treated as second class citizens.
It would be nice if you didn't generalise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Well done, unfortunately for you, I don't credit such a source. But you see, the wonderful thing about such a source is, that a law of some sort has been passed preventing or curbing such acts. Domestic violence occurs in the UK, do you see me crying over it and protesting? Its one thing to invoke domestic violence, but another to prevent it, its inevitable.

next source/country pls.

Whether or not you credit the source is not my business. The law is there so that they can have good international standing, but it is a ruse since the law is flawed. Too many loop holes and women are being abused all over. Come again.
Reply 70
Original post by HAnwar
I know friends who've grown up in Saudi. They've never complained about being treated as second class citizens.
It would be nice if you didn't generalise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe try asking them specific questions about this and see what happens. If they tell you otherwise they'd be lying.
Reply 71
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
*ahem*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men%27s_Day

I'm not aiming this at OP, I have no idea where he stand on this but on TSR it only deems acceptable to agree with sentiment women could be oppressed if it is used as a means to bash the middle east (which normally means Muslims).

They say that it was re-initialized in Trinidad and Tobago and that's where I'm from but I have yet to hear about this Men's day.
Have you seen me bash any Muslims in this thread? :wink:
Reply 72
Maybe try asking them specific questions about this and see what happens. If they tell you otherwise they'd be lying.

You can't just assume that.
Stop trying to act like you know what they're feeling.
If they feel happy there, then what's your problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
You do realise that we're talking about the middle east right? Men beat their wives in those countries and it is condoned under the law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Men beat their wives in the west especially USA have you heard of Chad Johnson and Ray Rice?
Maybe because I choose not to waste time over little diversions and mistakes caused by my system UI, client and element mapping on my platform. I prefer to stay on topic. I'm sorry what was your fourth country again?

It says the name of the person you are quoting in the text box...what that has to do with your UI is totally beyond me.

Pick any random country in that area and that can be my fourth :biggrin:
Whether or not you credit the source is not my business. The law is there so that they can have good international standing, but it is a ruse since the law is flawed. Too many loop holes and women are being abused all over. Come again.

Re read what I wrote. Then process it.

1. Crime or whatever is committed
2. Fine, Law is created and people are punished
3. as you said, there are loopholes, correct I can understand that because humans are humans are will commit dumb **** even when there are severe consequences. That happens everywhere, but what's your point?

You may see a different countrys laws and methods of life (as in gov,and realistic living not crimes and inhumane acts) as flawed and broken because you're used to barriers in your country or you might do things differently, that's just something you've got to understand you can't impose your laws or expect the same things to happen as fluidly elsewhere.
Reply 76
Original post by al_94
Men beat their wives in the west especially USA have you heard of Chad Johnson and Ray Rice?

It may happen, yes. Did I say no? It is not, however condoned under the law of the Land.
They say that it was re-initialized in Trinidad and Tobago and that's where I'm from but I have yet to hear about this Men's day.
Have you seen me bash any Muslims in this thread? :wink:

Ye I did say it wasn't aimed at you necessarily as I don't know where you lie on the male TRSain opinion of feminism spectrum :tongue:
It seems to me that seeing as the idiots of TSR got told off for bashing Muslims in every thread they've tried to revert to more subtle approaches such as the MiddleEast. This allows them to state that they're not bashing on the basis of religion,but country and laws, govt etc.
Original post by KingStannis
Literally all of this applies to men. Read a book.

The Big Book of Fairy Tales?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending