The Student Room Group

Law...

Good evening everyone,

I am new to this forum but I was wondering what the different requirements are for an international student applying to a Law Programme.

Though I have already sent my UCAS application, I have no idea how long it will take, or what to expect since my grade are in percentile...

I am from Windsor, Ontario, Canada and have a 96.25% avg first term having taken 4-U courses... Is there any hope?

Which Law schools allow direct applications?? I know UCE Birmingham and Northumbria are taking direct applications.

Any advice would help..! :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for your interest bro.

Well in Ontario we got 4U, 4M and 4C courses at the grade 12 level in highschool.

I try to avoid 4M and 4C because Universities look down at that, so I took 6 4U courses and 1 4M courses.

I also know the LNAT is not required, making sure to avoid this standardized test. I listed my six UCAS as...
-LSE
-Queen Mary
-London Metro
-Warwick
-Southampton
-Liverpool

I also applied direct to UCE Birmingham and Northumbria...

Is it possible to receive an unconditional offer applying for Law at any of these schools?

Thanks again... :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2:
Unconditional, I doubt it... they will look into your education system and make an offer which they deem as equivalent to the UK A-level standard. Good luck.
Reply 3
Thanks bro...

Are the conditions that are normally set based on ALL of my marks or the ones that are important like English, Law, Etc...

I sent out my UCAS application a while ago, not even a welcome letter yet...
Why do international student's marks seem so good?
96.25%, that sounds amazing, why therefore are you questioning whether you have any 'hope'? do you really think that you have no hope because you haven't go the other 3.75%?
Reply 5
Well I don't think 96.25% was easy to attain, or seems that good.

One other student at the institution (700 pupils) beat my avg, and that was because he argued with his teacher for an extra 5%, boosting his avg to 96.7X% from a high 95%.

Anyways, I am worried now because a PS tutor said my Personal Statement was bad, even though the English Department Head said mine was "unique."

Do you know of any Universities that will allow me to directly apply to them? Like I said, I have directly applied to Queen Mary, Northumbria, and Birmingham for LLB (hons).

Thanks for your time bro.
As you have already called Lewisy-boy your 'bro', please don't call me your 'bro' as well!
Reply 7
Fine! :mad:
No need to pull a face we are not communists are we?!
Reply 9
What's wrong with communism? It works in some countries.
Linh_Pham
What's wrong with communism? It works in some countries.
Those countries can't bake bread.
Reply 11
They don't need bread, they got rice.
Weak argument sweetheart. Communism doesn't work. It could work, but the problem with it is that it relies on too many people doing the right thing. Thats not possible.
Reply 13
Communism has clearly worked. Though I don't support or believe in this outdated ideology, disregarding Communism's success in past would be simply biased.

One example would be Russia's October Revolution. I wouldn't call the Russia's October Revolution an absolute success, but it was a success in the sense that the workers were able to overthrow the government.

In addition, Communism relies less on too many people doing the right thing than on one influential, supported person telling the others what to do.

Anyways this thread wasn't made to talk about communism.

I was just wondering which universities in the UK allow direct applications from International students if anyone knew?
Reply 14
Linh_Pham
Communism has clearly worked. Though I don't support or believe in this outdated ideology, disregarding Communism's success in past would be simply biased.

One example would be Russia's October Revolution. I wouldn't call the Russia's October Revolution an absolute success, but it was a success in the sense that the workers were able to overthrow the government.

This is no indication that Communism works as a system of government, which is what people here mean by "work", I think. My Polish gf would disagree with you that it succeeded in that kind of way.
Jesus christ, why do I always get the vibe that people are always trying to impress others on these forums?

Yeah, you'll be okay with a 96.25% average granted that your high school is somewhat reputable and your courses aren't bull****.

Then again a lot of the time, UK schools admissions are luck of the draw...
Reply 16
superdillon
Why do international student's marks seem so good?
96.25%, that sounds amazing, why therefore are you questioning whether you have any 'hope'? do you really think that you have no hope because you haven't go the other 3.75%?

96.25% is like 70% in the UK!!!!!!!
In the US/Canada,your marks are roughly compared to your peers.
in the UK,your makrs are "roughly" compared to what your marker,teacher would have done on the same question,that is what one guy told me on the college confidential board.
How does that help? Are you saying that ppl are marked on a bell curve?

As for the communism thing - with the fall of communism (after the Cold war across most of the world) you actually saw a massive sweeping change in the economic climate (dont ask how I know this - studied investment), which many use to argue against communism as ever being a viable system, and to be fair they are right.

However, China etc get a bad press in the West and aren't near as bad as Russia etc used to be.
Reply 18
That's cool guys.

eh moosaman where you applying to?

I was planning on of UBC of I failed at Law School, but I would probably kill myself if I don't get accepted somewhere in the UK... Yeh I think my schools reputable because my English Department wrote in the ref letter about lawyers and politicians coming from the institute I attend.

How the hell did you get 96% in Canada is comparable to 70% in UK? One of the admissions tutors I have asked said Canadian requirements are like 70-80% in 6 courses with English 4U being one of the courses, thats it.

Only thing that sucks is International fees, like 7100GBP-9000GBP or something just for tuition. Thats nearly 3 times what most people pay...
Linh_Pham
That's cool guys.

eh moosaman where you applying to?

I was planning on of UBC of I failed at Law School, but I would probably kill myself if I don't get accepted somewhere in the UK... Yeh I think my schools reputable because my English Department wrote in the ref letter about lawyers and politicians coming from the institute I attend.

How the hell did you get 96% in Canada is comparable to 70% in UK? One of the admissions tutors I have asked said Canadian requirements are like 70-80% in 6 courses with English 4U being one of the courses, thats it.

Only thing that sucks is International fees, like 7100GBP-9000GBP or something just for tuition. Thats nearly 3 times what most people pay...

Hahah don't kill yourself if you dont' get into the UK - I know you smart people have high standards... UBC's good - and furthermore, considering how much (or little) WE have learned by the end of Canadian high school, I think we're at a disadvantage compared to them UK'ers - hence why UCL requires that we've done a first degree before applying. So it's good to have a Bachelor's before going to law school for our purposes in that, you just learn how to study the university way!

Latest

Trending

Trending