The Student Room Group

getting a visit from tv license people

Today I got a letter informing me that I will be getting a visit from a tv license inspector, as I have been put onto the "National Enforcement Database." This is because I don't have a tv and they have to come round and check. What does this actually involve? Are they going to be looking through my cupboards and under piles of clothes? The thought of it really worries me. I mean, I have absolutely nothing to hide, but all the same I don't like the idea of my room being searched.

What can they and what can't they do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They can visit (ie, knock on your door). That is the limit of their "powers" - and they apparently have a policy of compliance except in exceptional circumstances if you tell them you have withdrawn the right to cross your land to knock the door.

At this point, you can tell them to bugger off. If you let them into your home (I strongly advise against it, these people do not have full criminal records checks made against them and are often quite shady characters) then they can only do what you let them do.

If you do tell them where to go, they'll send ridiculous numbers of letters talking complete nonsense. Any letter from TVL can be safely ignored. They may also continue sending people around to "visit" every so often. Personally I quite enjoy that experience, winding up the obnoxious bastards.

They're just pushy salemen. Treat them as such.
Reply 2
Oh, and just because they say they'll come around doesn't actually mean they will. In most cases they don't bother for a good few months.
tehy cant go through your stuff, they can walk in and look round but they cant fifle through your socks drawer. If it gets them off your backs then check thier ids, bring them in and walk them round the house, dont offer them tea or anything getvthem in and get them out especially if as lib says they can be shady
Reply 4
Today I got a letter informing me that I will be getting a visit from a tv license inspector, as I have been put onto the "National Enforcement Database."
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Four of my housemates got the same letter last year (one of them had a TV, too) but we never actually got a call from an inspector...
Reply 5
i received a letter saying i don't have a tv license and i need to phone or write to them if i don't have a tv so they can stop their "investigation". i personally see no reason to spend phone costs or envolopes and stamps just to tell them i don't have a tv. if they turn up then i will ask for their id, a warrant, and deny them access to my room if they do not have one. i will let them know i don't have a tv so i don't need a license but if they say "i don't believe you" or "we don't know if you're telling the truth" then it's their problem.
Reply 6
Ah, I had one of those letters last year (it was preceded by loads of warning notes and other stuff before they told me that I was on the 'National Enforcement Database'). I don't have a tv, so I gathered up all the junk they had sent and put it all in the prepaid envelope (you know the one they send so you can apply for the license!) I posted it, along with a letter telling them that I did not have a tv, and asking them to stop sending me letters advising me that I was breaking the law as I was not. They didn't contact me again...:biggrin:
Reply 7
I'm being investigated too apparently.
They actually have no legal right to enter your house. If they turn up don't feel guilty bout turning them away. Whatever they say you don't have to let them into your house, however pushy they are.
Its actually qute a comment on society when no-one believes u don't have a telly!
Reply 9
this national enforcement database is their way to intimidate you into phoning them or subscribing to a tv license. rename it to national tv advertising enforcement database and it is correct. even if they do keep sending you warning letters they can do nothing. all they are doing is assuming you are breaking the law. they do not know. why do people expect every household and even halls of residence to have tv licenses now? you are labelled as weird and anti-social if you do not own a tv. my halls of residence contract said i can't own a tv without a tv license; what nonsense. i can legally own a tv as long as i don't use it. i know some of us collect antiques and this includes antique television sets.
Reply 10
i got the exact same letter today, so did everyone in my accomodation.

im not worried though. free tv for life
Reply 11
i think the inspectors really get angry if you let them search and they find a tv in an obvious spot. they say you are not licensed and you say you only own the tv and don't use it so you are not breaking the law.

i have this strange habit of keeping a tv in my room all the time because i believe it brings me good luck. i never use it but if an inspector saw that would they believe me? i doubt it. televisions should have a remote that broadcasts locations of everyone who illegally uses a tv, which eliminates hassling people who don't use a tv or even own one.
Reply 12
Jagajo
i can legally own a tv as long as i don't use it
You can actually use a TV without owning a TV license. It just can't be used to pick up broadcasts.

For example, if you don't have a license you're still perfectly entitled to use your TV so you can watch videos/DVDs or play on a Playstation/Xbox/whatever.
I can guarantee that, since we were told as much when we asked our school's headmaster if we could have a TV in the sixth year common room (we were told what we could and couldn't do, as it wouldn't be covered by the school's own TV license)
Reply 13
if someone comes round and you only have a portable tv that cost like 30quid its cheaper to just smash it with a hammer or pour water all over it.

3 portable tvs is cheapers than the massivley over priced licence.
If you use your TV to watch TV you really should get a license.

No you don't have to let them in.
Reply 15
region2
if someone comes round and you only have a portable tv that cost like 30quid its cheaper to just smash it with a hammer or pour water all over it.

3 portable tvs is cheapers than the massivley over priced licence.

If it cost £30 then 4 TVs would be cheaper than the license :biggrin:
I got these letters throughout my time at uni.
I never had a visit, nor did anyone else I knew. (all of us were getting letters)
As other posters have said, they do not have right of entry anyway even if they do bother coming round.
Reply 17
Jagajo
i received a letter saying i don't have a tv license and i need to phone or write to them if i don't have a tv so they can stop their "investigation". i personally see no reason to spend phone costs or envolopes and stamps just to tell them i don't have a tv. if they turn up then i will ask for their id, a warrant, and deny them access to my room if they do not have one. i will let them know i don't have a tv so i don't need a license but if they say "i don't believe you" or "we don't know if you're telling the truth" then it's their problem.

Agree totally.

Jagajo
i think the inspectors really get angry if you let them search and they find a tv in an obvious spot.

Nah, they're on commission, they love to catch a vaguely viable prosecution.

televisions should have a remote that broadcasts locations of everyone who illegally uses a tv, which eliminates hassling people who don't use a tv or even own one.

That's creepy, and it would be ripped out easily.
Reply 18
They scan student areas. They send a van, and try to detect TV signals.
Reply 19
Thanks for the info. I have decided that I'm going to ignore all correspondance from them, and let them do all the work. I seriously doubt I'll be getting a visit but if they do, I have no hesitation to turn them away.
I also agree with Jagajo, why should I waste time and money writing bloody letters just to tell them I don't have a tv.

Latest

Trending

Trending