The Student Room Group

Relate history in a psychology course?

I'm on the fence whether I would like to study history or psychology at uni and wondered if the two ever complement each other in study at uni, or if it's possible to combine the two in essays or final pieces such as the study of a leader in history?

If I were to take psychology, would there be historical aspects I could include in my work to carry on my likes for the subject, or does the degree strictly refer only to psychological content?

Thanks!
Original post by korrin
I'm on the fence whether I would like to study history or psychology at uni and wondered if the two ever complement each other in study at uni, or if it's possible to combine the two in essays or final pieces such as the study of a leader in history?

If I were to take psychology, would there be historical aspects I could include in my work to carry on my likes for the subject, or does the degree strictly refer only to psychological content?

Thanks!

You could do a joint honours degree in both history and psychology which would allow you to study both so you can stay on the fence a little longer. Universities which offer this include; Bath spa, Sunderland, strathclyde, Saint Andrews, Newcastle, Liverpool hope, Canterbury Christ church, Chester, durham, Kingston, keele, durham, Glasgow, Dundee and derby.
If you study at leeds or durham you can also choose free electives in which you can pick anything you are interested in to complement your degree.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Hannahmay01
You could do a joint honours degree in both history and psychology which would allow you to study both so you can stay on the fence a little longer. Universities which offer this include; Bath spa, Sunderland, strathclyde, Saint Andrews, Newcastle, Liverpool hope, Canterbury Christ church, Chester, durham, Kingston, keele, durham, Glasgow, Dundee and derby.
If you study at leeds or durham you can also choose free electives in which you can pick anything you are interested in to complement your degree.
Good luck!

Thanks for telling me about the electives I didn't know they existed :smile:
Reply 3
Still just wondering, does anyone know if you can include some history in psychology. I don't want to to a joint honnors :redface:
Original post by korrin
Still just wondering, does anyone know if you can include some history in psychology. I don't want to to a joint honnors :redface:

have a look at Exeter flexible combined honours. it only does ancient history not history though
Reply 5
I really just want to know if I would be able to include it in dissertations and work, I don't want to do a joint honour.
For example looking at the psycology of Henry viii or hitler.
Original post by korrin
I really just want to know if I would be able to include it in dissertations and work, I don't want to do a joint honour.
For example looking at the psycology of Henry viii or hitler.

You couldn't do this in the vast majority of psychology degrees. Most psychology degrees are accredited by the British psychological society, and so the course content is fairly strictly proscribed. In general, you would be encouraged to look at psychology from a scientific point of view, and this generally does not involve doing case studies.

I think you'd actually have a better chance of being able to do what you want to do if you studied history.

If you are going to study psychology, look closely at the course content before doing so, as I don't think it will be anything like what you expect it too be like.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You couldn't do this in the vast majority of psychology degrees. Most psychology degrees are accredited by the British psychological society, and so the course content is fairly strictly proscribed. In general, you would be encouraged to look at psychology from a scientific point of view, and this generally does not involve doing case studies.

I think you'd actually have a better chance of being able to do what you want to do if you studied history.

If you are going to study psychology, look closely at the course content before doing so, as I don't think it will be anything like what you expect it too be like.

THANK YOU FOR NOT SUGGESTING A JOINT HONOURS! XD
Yeah I just wasn't sure if they would be able to mix but now I know its strict then I see they cant :smile:
I do A level Psycology at the moment and I know you sort of repeat it first year I just wasnt sure how set the course was :tongue:

Thank you for answering!
Original post by korrin
THANK YOU FOR NOT SUGGESTING A JOINT HONOURS! XD
Yeah I just wasn't sure if they would be able to mix but now I know its strict then I see they cant :smile:
I do A level Psycology at the moment and I know you sort of repeat it first year I just wasnt sure how set the course was :tongue:

Thank you for answering!

It's ok :smile: I would genuinely investigate history courses further, maybe go to a few open days and ask if you could include some psychology in your coursework, as history courses will be much more flexible.

I would say psychology at uni doesn't really just repeat A-level, and there tends to be a strong focus on cognitive and biological methods. I know the A-level syllabus has changed a bit since I did my A-levels though, so A2 might be closer to the degree syllabus/style now. I really enjoyed psychology at A-level, but tried it at uni and it really wasn't for me- so if you chose to go for psychology definitely go in knowing what you will be studying.
Reply 9
I will do that! My EPQ is mixing the two and I'm finding it interesting and I wondered if it was going to be possible later on :smile:
My psychology teacher and mentioned that its only slightly repeated first year going over basics with a little more detail. I'm not sure psychology will be the best for me now so thank you very much for your input.

Thank you again!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending