The Student Room Group

Big 4 Audit Vs Front Office Commercial Banking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pipsico
I'm going to state a few facts here, instead of opinions.

Ok - IB has crazy hours - accepted.
Audit also has crazy hours (in most cases) though less so than IB.

Pay for IB - without a doubt, larger from the start.

Audit progression.. Well, a significant proportion move into industry after qualifying.. But progression is good/ steady. Commands salaries of 45k-ish for newly qualifieds.

For CIMA, progression is also good. However, you'll need at least 3 years experience to become fully qualified.

You are talking complete crap about the £60k in 18 months. Stop making things up to show off.

Source: I am a CIMA qualified accountant, in a FTSE 100 who is now working in Treasury, so I meet investment bankers on a regular basis as well as qualified ACAs, ACCAs, CFAs and ACMAs.

Quality post.

Out of interest, what's the recruitment like for Big 4. Where does the majority of the graduate classes come from? Finance/accounting backgrounds? Target unis?

I was considering applying to their SW programme as a back-up if I didn't get IB internship. I withdrew all my applications, got a couple IB offers. However, if later on things change I just want to know what I'm up against.

From your own deductions where would someone of my position be placed (I'm a first year)

> Semi-target uni (for IB) - Finance related subject (achieved a first on financial accounting exam)
> 4 internships in IB (2 BBs) - No accounting related experience, apart from a workshop at BDO
> Board member of accounting soc at uni
> Strong ECs (Lead a quad skating organisation)
> Voluntary work / Fund raising experience

Do many of the graduate class have related experience, as I know in banking it's pretty much unheard of to get a FO role without some sort of relevant experience. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot by not trying to atleast attain some industry exposure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
No Big 4 firm pays 60k post-qual for an audit role bro, you're deluded.

As a Muslim you also shouldn't lie, this notion that you declined an IB role is just a blatant lie. You were never offered a position and I deduced that from your own posts.

The primary reason you don't want to go apply for Banking is because it 'involves interest and is against your beliefs' or you didn't get in, say that. Don't go around claiming this bs about 'audit is better' and how in IB everyone is an *******, if you've never even worked in one.

Be your own person but don't go around spreading misinformation.

I applied with the intention to work in banking but when offered, was given a lot of advice from family not to, and after doing my research I declined for a number of reason, but like I said believe what you want, only makes no difference.

And I never said that I work in a big 4 accounts firm.
I'm in industry finance for Atos, and Im going to start the CIMA, and once qualified it offers 55k-60k average, but I couldn't care less about that, as I stated earlier, I'm not a materialistic guy. As a Muslim I know that interest is one of worst things to work with, even worse than alcohol or adultery, so it's quite obvious that I would decline upon learning this.
Original post by Pipsico
I'm going to state a few facts here, instead of opinions.

Ok - IB has crazy hours - accepted.
Audit also has crazy hours (in most cases) though less so than IB.

Pay for IB - without a doubt, larger from the start.

Audit progression.. Well, a significant proportion move into industry after qualifying.. But progression is good/ steady. Commands salaries of 45k-ish for newly qualifieds.

For CIMA, progression is also good. However, you'll need at least 3 years experience to become fully qualified.

You are talking complete crap about the £60k in 18 months. Stop making things up to show off.

Source: I am a CIMA qualified accountant, in a FTSE 100 who is now working in Treasury, so I meet investment bankers on a regular basis as well as qualified ACAs, ACCAs, CFAs and ACMAs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm exempt from 6 CIMA exams because of my degree.

I'm on a fast-track grad scheme to complete the rest of it in 18 months.

Once CIMA qualified you can demand anything from 50-60k, depending on company or industry.

Source: The CIMA institute.
Commercial Banking =/= Investment Banking OP

Generally commercial is related to retail, whereas DCM lies within the corporate side.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mohammad1993
I applied with the intention to work in banking but when offered, was given a lot of advice from family not to, and after doing my research I declined for a number of reason, but like I said believe what you want, only makes no difference.

And I never said that I work in a big 4 accounts firm.
I'm in industry finance for Atos, and Im going to start the CIMA, and once qualified it offers 55k-60k average, but I couldn't care less about that, as I stated earlier, I'm not a materialistic guy. As a Muslim I know that interest is one of worst things to work with, even worse than alcohol or adultery, so it's quite obvious that I would decline upon learning this.

Bro, you can just stop. I looked at your previous posts, and it denotes clearly that was never the case. It's really not worth the effort to lie on the internet. The fact that you didn't even know where DBs offices were when supposedly you have an offer is just :facepalm:

Again, after 18 months (especially now you've denoted you'll be at Atos), you won't be earning 60k, as if you believe your own stories.

Atos salaries depend on appraisal ratings over the course of 18 months, then switches to negotiable market rate. Pay packets start at around £25k during their grad programme and from research increase every half year depending on performance. Post-qual salaries won't amount to 60k, those who earn around that amount are in positions of hierarchy such as project managers and senior consultants. So unless you've signed a contract specifically stating your salary range before you signed up, someone lied to you, or your just lying to yourself.

Once CIMA qualified you can demand anything from 50-60k, depending on company or industry.

I don't know whether you're for real or just trolling now. You are yet to learn the realities of the labour market wage stimuluses.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm exempt from 6 CIMA exams because of my degree.

I'm on a fast-track grad scheme to complete the rest of it in 18 months.

Source: The CIMA institute.

You are very deluded/misled. Yes once qualified you can indeed earn 50-60k but not immediately, I'd say more like a few years after qualifying.

If you want to earn that kind of salary right when you earn your qualification, you'd have to be working in front office investment banking or equity research. (where a CIMA would be a useful thing to have)
Reply 26
Commercial Banking =/= Investment Banking OP

Generally commercial is related to retail, whereas DCM lies within the corporate side.

Yea I understand that they are different. Hence why I am not even sure why people have brought up IB into this argument when I wanted to know whether a career in CB would be a rewarding career as opposed to the big 4. I was initially not too aware of the exit opportunities/career progression in CB. Since the work is through the corporate side, I have found that there is still potential to gain a lot of transferrable skills in other areas of finance.

I have since realised that from my own perspective, a career in finance would appeal to me more as opposed to accountancy.
Original post by bluao
Yea I understand that they are different. Hence why I am not even sure why people have brought up IB into this argument when I wanted to know whether a career in CB would be a rewarding career as opposed to the big 4. I was initially not too aware of the exit opportunities/career progression in CB. Since the work is through the corporate side, I have found that there is still potential to gain a lot of transferrable skills in other areas of finance.

I have since realised that from my own perspective, a career in finance would appeal to me more as opposed to accountancy.

CB relates to IB. DCM is a division that lies specifically within the Investment Banking Division.
I hope no-one gets offended, but in my opinion, Accounts/Audit blows Banking out of the water.
The Banking industry does have potential for developing and great monetary prospects, however, it's is seriously a dog-eat-dog industry. I genuinely doubt that you will make any friends in that industry, and the main way you progress is by asslicking etc. Also, there will be people who try to stop your progression.

Whereas, in practice or industry accounts, progression is almost guaranteed, and you don't have to brown-nose so much, it's all about your work ethic (not saying that Banking, doesn't consider this, just that accounts recognises it more).

It's up to you anyway, choose something you think your suited to. I'm definitely not suited to Banking.. I'm too nice.. So I've gone down industry finance. However, some people prefer the variations of the banking industry and just the general nature of it.
The choice is yours my friend, I hope you make the right one :smile:

What you are saying is spot on. Are you with one of the big 4?
Reply 29
Complete and utter bs. Audit is where you go if you don't get into banking. Investment Banking is the breeding ground for business leaders. Not diminishing Big 4 prospects by any means, but to make such a claim you would need tangiable evidence to support it.

What's being nice got to do with anything about whether banking is a good career path, have you even interned at a bank to be spouting this rubbish?

You sound like one of those kids who reads one news article and think you know your **** about what banking entails and the nature of people in the industry. "Oh yeah, one VP somewhere fixed LIBOR rates" : "damn those bankers must be real *****." Grow up.

Not that I'm by any means jumping on the "audit is better than IB train", but do you even work in banking? Seems you're mighty sure of yourself...

Your comment about audit being where you go if you don't get in to banking is absolute crap. Period. You sound like one of those kids... you get where I'm going with this right? Your subsequent comments on salaries alone prove you don't understand the industry you're openly discrediting.
Original post by M1011
Not that I'm by any means jumping on the "audit is better than IB train", but do you even work in banking? Seems you're mighty sure of yourself...

Your comment about audit being where you go if you don't get in to banking is absolute crap. Period. You sound like one of those kids... you get where I'm going with this right? Your subsequent comments on salaries alone prove you don't understand the industry you're openly discrediting.

I'm the person who went into audit because I couldn't get into IB directly. Now getting my ACA and then hopefully moving into IB/ER.

Audit IS worse. It is so completely dull and boring, but I see it as a gateway to better things later on.

How many bankers do you see saying "Oh I really wish I was in audit?" I doubt if you'll find many, however on the flipside tons of auditors do want to be bankers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by snakesnake
I'm the person who went into audit because I couldn't get into IB directly. Now getting my ACA and then hopefully moving into IB/ER.

Audit IS worse. It is so completely dull and boring, but I see it as a gateway to better things later on.

How many bankers do you see saying "Oh I really wish I was in audit?" I doubt if you'll find many, however on the flipside tons of auditors do want to be bankers.

You surely can differentiate between your experience and the rest of the 4,000 graduates that join Big 4 schemes alone every year?

To say everyone is going in to audit because they want to be in banking is beyond a joke. The majority have no such desire.
Original post by M1011
You surely can differentiate between your experience and the rest of the 4,000 graduates that join Big 4 schemes alone every year?

To say everyone is going in to audit because they want to be in banking is beyond a joke. The majority have no such desire.

I think you misinterpreted what I said (or I wasn't clear in my original message): I just meant that it was true in my case that IB was my first choice and audit was the fall back option. Definitely not the situation for everyone.

However from the people I've spoken to in audit, a fair few do want to go into banking (and many do end up doing that). On the other hand: I've yet to see a banker go and become an auditor.
Reply 33
From what I can tell the majority of people who end up in audit/accountancy are otherwise clever people who graduate from uni without really paying much attention to careers and think "Crap, what am I going to do for a job".
Reply 34
I think you misinterpreted what I said (or I wasn't clear in my original message): I just meant that it was true in my case that IB was my first choice and audit was the fall back option. Definitely not the situation for everyone.

However from the people I've spoken to in audit, a fair few do want to go into banking (and many do end up doing that). On the other hand: I've yet to see a banker go and become an auditor.

Well if you're not supporting the statement I questioned ("Audit is where you go if you don't get into banking"), then I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is. I don't recall saying no auditors want to be bankers, but the vast majority don't. That's not to say they want to stay auditors either mind...

Your banker -> auditor statement makes no sense. I don't see many people in the press trying to get in to audit either, does that mean all auditors want to be journalists? Exaggerated example but you get the drift, the comment doesn't stack up. Most bankers wouldn't have the skill set or qualifications to go in to audit without restarting their career anyway, and of course remuneration also plays a major role.

Original post by EddyP
From what I can tell the majority of people who end up in audit/accountancy are otherwise clever people who graduate from uni without really paying much attention to careers and think "Crap, what am I going to do for a job".

I disagree for accounting in general, but for audit specifically there is a lot of this. It tends to be seen as a solid three year option with a CV enhancing brand, strong training and reasonably wide exit opportunities. A relatively attractive looking package for graduates who don't really know what they want to do yet.

Can't tell you how sensible an option it is, but it certainly helps you decide what you don't want to do! :tongue:
Original post by M1011
Well if you're not supporting the statement I questioned ("Audit is where you go if you don't get into banking"), then I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is. I don't recall saying no auditors want to be bankers, but the vast majority don't. That's not to say they want to stay auditors either mind...

Your banker -> auditor statement makes no sense. I don't see many people in the press trying to get in to audit either, does that mean all auditors want to be journalists? Exaggerated example but you get the drift, the comment doesn't stack up. Most bankers wouldn't have the skill set or qualifications to go in to audit without restarting their career anyway, and of course remuneration also plays a major role.

Now you're just splitting hairs with what I had said. For me audit was the place I went because I didn't get into banking.

I'm in no way implying that the majority of auditors wish to be bankers but in my experience there are a fair few who do. Though what 90%+ of auditors don't want to be is auditors. Very few people actually like the job. and I'd say about 90% leave within a year of qualifying.

Most bankers wouldn't go to become auditors because I can see no reason why they'd want to.

Audit is where people start their careers. You go in, do the ACA and then move on to do other things.
Reply 36
Now you're just splitting hairs with what I had said. For me audit was the place I went because I didn't get into banking.

I'm in no way implying that the majority of auditors wish to be bankers but in my experience there are a fair few who do. Though what 90%+ of auditors don't want to be is auditors. Very few people actually like the job. and I'd say about 90% leave within a year of qualifying.

Most bankers wouldn't go to become auditors because I can see no reason why they'd want to.

Audit is where people start their careers. You go in, do the ACA and then move on to do other things.

I've not disagreed with any of this at any point? :confused:

I questioned a statement. I'll repeat it below for you for the third time. If you're not agreeing with that statement (given the context), I don't understand why you're quoting me to announce you wanted to be a banker, it's irrelevant unless you believe you represent the majority.

"Audit is where you go if you don't get into banking" - wrong

Yes, but a lot of them quietly yearn for the job security that the ACA offers... But then people don't talk about being scared of losing their job over beers to their mates...
Original post by Classical Liberal
Yes, but a lot of them quietly yearn for the job security that the ACA offers... But then people don't talk about being scared of losing their job over beers to their mates...

Which is why I've gone the route of getting an ACA and then trying to get into banking.

Though this does raise a deeper philosophical question: do you really want to spend your life doing a job you dislike just because it's secure?
Reply 39
Which is why I've gone the route of getting an ACA and then trying to get into banking.

Though this does raise a deeper philosophical question: do you really want to spend your life doing a job you dislike just because it's secure?

You can't say that when earlier in this thread you announced you were doing the ACA because you didn't manage to get in to banking!

Here's another deep philosophical question if we're going to make generalizations: do you really want to spend your life (literally every waking minute of it!) doing a job you dislike just because it pays well? I'm being facetious, but these sweeping statements really are pretty baseless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending