The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Which accommodation for postgraduates?

I've been given an offer for a MSc degree at NCL and have accepted it. I want to live in the student accommodation halls that the university offers because I cannot be bother with finding a flat to be honest.

Which halls would you recommend, that has en-suite rooms and does not have many people in a flat (max 4 preferably)?
Halls are waaaay pricier though.

I found a place through here pretty easy (there's like hundreds listed): https://sturents.com/student-accommodation/newcastle

These guys are good as well: http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/newcastle

Hope I could help.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Greu
I've been given an offer for a MSc degree at NCL and have accepted it. I want to live in the student accommodation halls that the university offers because I cannot be bother with finding a flat to be honest.

Which halls would you recommend, that has en-suite rooms and does not have many people in a flat (max 4 preferably)?

Hey, are you an international postgrad student? If you're a UK postgrad I believe you have to find private accommodation.

There are a bunch of really nice places, depending on your budget. If money wasn't an issue, I'd go for union square or student castle. They look hella nice.
Original post by Greu

Hi Greu, have you considered living in a studio or do you definitely want to live in a flat? Have you thought about which areas you would live in? Liv
Reply 4
Haven't really thought much about it yet (it's only March haha), but living with parents through my bachelor degree hasn't really thought me any "lessons" about how to approach this matter.

I don't really plan on spending more than £400-450 for accommodation, including bills. If I can do less than this that's great! I will be making a Professional Development Loan application, therefore knowing how much I should expect paying for living costs is a must.

When it comes to the area, somewhere quiet, max 30 minutes walk from uni with a gym preferably close by and a larger supermarket. I've had my share of fun, I want something boring and quiet haha.

I'm from the UK, yes (EU, but have done my bachelor degree in the UK).

Thank you all for your answer by the way.
Hi Greu, you should take a look at Union Square and see if it ticks all your boxes. It it home to a mixture of Newcastle and Northumbria students from all year groups. There is a mixture of apartment style living and studios - a studio would be good if you are wanting to get your head down and work a lot in a quiet environment. It's a 15 minute walk from Newcastle University and close to a small Tesco and large size Morrison's.
website - http://www.unionsquarenewcastle.com/

If you have any more questions just ask - I graduated last year From Northumbria University after four years as a student in Newcastle!

Thanks, Liv
Reply 6
Original post by Greu
Haven't really thought much about it yet (it's only March haha), but living with parents through my bachelor degree hasn't really thought me any "lessons" about how to approach this matter.

I don't really plan on spending more than £400-450 for accommodation, including bills. If I can do less than this that's great! I will be making a Professional Development Loan application, therefore knowing how much I should expect paying for living costs is a must.

When it comes to the area, somewhere quiet, max 30 minutes walk from uni with a gym preferably close by and a larger supermarket. I've had my share of fun, I want something boring and quiet haha.

I'm from the UK, yes (EU, but have done my bachelor degree in the UK).

Thank you all for your answer by the way.

Newcastle uni only offer accommodation to postgrad students who are international, so if you're not an international student you're gonna have to rent somewhere privately.

As i put in my previous post, union square and student castle are the nicest I've seen. Union square has bumped its prices up though (the cheapest room was £110 pw a few weeks ago... now it's £124) so at ~£530 a month it's probably out of your price range. Idk how anyone can afford that, ngl. student castle is even more expensive (£140 pw). There's the foundry, £130 pw, sharing with 8 people. Barker house is £113 pw, partnership through uni. Just some examples.

It seems there's a lot of really nice student accommodation in newc but it's all hella expensive. There's plenty of sites to look at if you want to save yourself some money and rent a house (you'd be looking at 50-80 pw + bills). I haven't yet been able to find private student accommodation (that isn't a house) for less than £100 pw, except for Parrish court which is £60 pw (inc. bills).

You need to have a look on google. With 400-450 pm you'll probably be able to find somewhere decently nice (be wary of the pw price though, don't just multiply it by 4 to find the monthly price. divide by 7 and multiply by 31. a property that costs 100 pw will most likely be more like 442 pm, not 400 as you might expect. iii definitely learnt this the hard way.)
Hi K3ro, i'm pleased you think Union Square is nice! All the £110 pw rooms have been snapped up I'm afraid so the next level is £120pw. Greu - my advice would be to keep your eye out for some deals coming up next month at Union Square! Thanks, Liv
I would look at houses through NUstudenthomes, they are pretty good. Look for houses in heaton/sandyford- they are a lot cheaper than Jesmond.

If you are a UK pg student you can't live in uni halls
Reply 9
Thank you all for the information. I will definitely need to start looking at one point through everything you recommended.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending