The Student Room Group

The Union of European States?

In an alternate future Britain and all the other member states of the former European Union have decided to form a Union similar to the one currently existing in the United States of America, with a federal government heading up the country in Belgium and an economy currently worth $
8,399 Billion. How would a set up such as this affect the world and the constituent states that now make up the UES?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The Country Lad

In an alternate future Britain and all the other member states of the former European Union have decided to form a Union similar to the one currently existing in the United States of America, with a federal government heading up the country in Belgium and an economy currently worth $
8,399 Billion. How would a set up such as this affect the world and the constituent states that now make up the UES?

Well it would have strong diplomatic weight but it probably uses that already.

It's military would dwarf everybody who is not the USA and China.

Hard to say what the wider effect would be.
Economically it would be a superpower but I actually think militarily it would be rather comparatively puny. It would easy match Russia, perhaps, using quality over quantity and having a store of nuclear weapons, but otherwise it'll probably follow the course of China and not be that bothered with a military capacity capable of reaching anywhere on the globe.
Complete withdrawal. No referendum.
Original post by Rakas21
Well it would have strong diplomatic weight but it probably uses that already.

It's military would dwarf everybody who is not the USA and China.

Hard to say what the wider effect would be.

Unless you're including Russia in this union then yes otherwise

"It's military would dwarf everybody who is not the USA, Russia and China"

Original post by gladders
Economically it would be a superpower but I actually think militarily it would be rather comparatively puny. It would easy match Russia, perhaps, using quality over quantity and having a store of nuclear weapons, but otherwise it'll probably follow the course of China and not be that bothered with a military capacity capable of reaching anywhere on the globe.

People don't seem to be keeping up with russian military news. Russia has been undergoing an extensive military reform program, modernising its conventional and nuclear forces making it the second ost powerful military in the world.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp (nuclear capability NOT included)
It wouldn't match Russias military even if Europe had one united 'European miltary' due to each country speaking a different language, Command centres situated in different locations making it difficult to coordinate European forces in unison. Maybe if they shared the exact same language and had a central command then yes but otherwise no.

Also Russias military is no longer built on "quantity over quality", this isn't the soviet union.
Reply 6
Original post by Lionheart96
Unless you're including Russia in this union then yes otherwise

"It's military would dwarf everybody who is not the USA, Russia and China"

People don't seem to be keeping up with russian military news. Russia has been undergoing an extensive military reform program, modernising its conventional and nuclear forces making it the second ost powerful military in the world.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp (nuclear capability NOT included)
It wouldn't match Russias military even if Europe had one united 'European miltary' due to each country speaking a different language, Command centres situated in different locations making it difficult to coordinate European forces in unison. Maybe if they shared the exact same language and had a central command then yes but otherwise no.

Not really, Russia's air force and Navy for the moment are pretty inferior. Russia may have plans to bring it's military upto par but that is far from complete.

I'm pretty sure the idea of a European military would involve a central command and a requirement for troops to have a common medium.
Reply 7
You must be a complete idiot if you think a federal Europe will happen.

The EU is already as diverse as possible in terms of culture, economy, history and social opinion for that to happen.
Reply 8
Original post by Gos123

The EU is already as diverse as possible in terms of culture, economy, history and social opinion for that to happen.

You know that people have been saying that for the last decade.. yet the trend has only ever been one way.
Original post by Gos123

Where did you get the idea that I or anyone else in this thread thought that a federal europe would happen? It was merely a thought exercise
Reply 10
Original post by The Country Lad
Where did you get the idea that I or anyone else in this thread thought that a federal europe would happen? It was merely a thought exercise

It fails as a thought exercise too, because conducting a thought exercise implies some level of desire of implementation, and practically speaking, implementation of a FedEurope or EUSSR is impossible.
Original post by Gos123
It fails as a thought exercise too, because conducting a thought exercise implies some level of desire of implementation, and practically speaking, implementation of a FedEurope or EUSSR is impossible.

Not necessarily. I don't think a federal EU is remotely possible either, but the thought experiment is harmless.
Original post by william walker

You can't seriously support Russian expansion.
The map I have posted above shows why Europe can never be united. It as a peninsular with 6 other peninsular's joining it but separated by mountain ranges, rivers or water. The Iberian Peninsular, Italian Peninsular, Greek-Macedonian Peninsular, Danish or Jutland Peninsular, Scandinavian Peninsular and the British Isles. We can also see the heart of Europe the Northern European Plain is pepper with rivers diving the Plain making its hard to united and creating difference river based nations.
(edited 9 years ago)
The map I have posted above shows why Europe can never be united. It as a peninsular with 6 other peninsular's joining it but separated by mountain ranges, rivers or water. The Iberian Peninsular, Italian Peninsular, Greek-Macedonian Peninsular, Danish or Jutland Peninsular, Scandinavian Peninsular and the British Isles. We can also see the heart of Europe the Northern European Plain is pepper with rivers diving the Plain making its hard to united and creating difference river based nations.

Somewhat irrelevant in the modern world i think.

Not necessarily. I don't think a federal EU is remotely possible either, but the thought experiment is harmless.

See i think that a 29 member federation is impossible but i think 'a' federation is inevitable.
Original post by Rakas21
Somewhat irrelevant in the modern world i think.

Don't be daft. Geography matters and always will. Indeed it has shaped Europe.
Don't be daft. Geography matters and always will. Indeed it has shaped Europe.

To some degree, yes. But in todays world of open borders and modern transport, those things are not credible limitations.
Original post by Rakas21
To some degree, yes. But in todays world of open borders and modern transport, those things are not credible limitations.

So distance is no longer a limitation? Or having to build a railway through a mountain or a road? You are being daft. Geography matters it constrains peoples lives today as it away has. Just the constrains are different in some respects.
So distance is no longer a limitation? Or having to build a railway through a mountain or a road? You are being daft. Geography matters it constrains peoples lives today as it away has. Just the constrains are different in some respects.

In very limited ways though. Europe has the capital to build the roads through mountains and it is not so large that air travel renders the distance pretty mute.

Politically, it's just not a barrier within Europe to any significant degree anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending