The Student Room Group

Is a master's degree (MA) in Music worth it?

Let me quickly explain my situation. I am currently coming to the end of my final year studying for a BSc in Music Technology at the University of Kent, (on for a 2:1, possibly 1st), and am desperately trying to figure out what I should do next with my life.

Since I was small, music has been the only thing I have had a genuine interest in, so deciding to study music technology seemed like a way to continue my passion towards a music related career, although at the time of deciding to go to uni I had no idea what I wanted to do within music specifically.

Although I have enjoyed my degree, and do not regret taking it, it has become clear to me that a career in the 'music industry' itself is not where I want to head, and instead would like to teach music at Higher Education (HE) level (ie. A level / University) (sorry not sure what the US equivalent of UK A levels are).

I am considering doing a Masters degree in Music (at the University of Bristol) to help me get there, as well as benefitting me generally, with a focus on composition (as this is what I enjoy most) part time over two years so that I can work along side in order to help pay for it. (For reference, the Masters degree I am considering is £6300 total)

For the direction I want to be heading in, is a Masters degree in Music worth it?

As far as I can see, I see my pros and cons as follows:

'''My thoughts FOR doing a masters:'''

I genuinely have a real interest in music (and composition) and, if I can afford it, would like to continue studying it at masters level.

To become a HE lecturer you need at least a masters degree in the subject you wish to teach.

I’m the first to admit that a BSc in Music Technology isn’t the most impressive of degrees to potential employers, and a masters would surely open more doors to me?

More and more people have degrees now, a masters degree would allow me to stand out from the crowd.

My thoughts AGAINST doing a masters:

Is it worth the extra cost / time / effort? Will the benefits from having done a masters warrant these extras?

Is doing a Masters in Music putting all of my eggs in one basket? I have read that doing a masters in Business for example allows you to go into a wide range of careers, and, although teaching music is definitely what I want to do, if that doesn't work out for whatever reason, will having a masters in music close me off to most other career paths?

Any guidance / advice / experience would be massively appreciated.
As someone who is doing a PhD in music, I would usually say that a Masters isn't worth it, especially at the price you quoted (my Masters, for example, cost something just under £4,000 total, which is as cheap as it gets, I think). BUT since your first degree is in music technology and yet you're interested in teaching, I would have thought a Masters would be a good step towards showing that you have all the relevant knowledge and skills required to teach 'straight' Music AS/A2 as well as possibly aspects of 'straight' music degrees, like composition. I'm not sure what the demand for Music Technology A Level teachers is, especially given not many comprehensive schools would be able to afford to have sufficient equipment.

So in short, I'd say it's definitely worth still considering, if Bristol is a viable option. It might be worth sounding out your situation with PGCE course/Teach First administrators though, to see whether it really is necessary and whether it would give you a better chance of getting onto a teaching course and qualifying :yes:
Nope.
Reply 3
It might not make financial sense, but if it's the only way to allow you to work where you want, then it is necessary. Talk to people in the field before making assumptions, though. You might need a very specific sort of training to be credible where you want to be.

People do go into business with some pretty unorthodox backgrounds, although you'll have to know what you want to do before you can aim for it. I worked at an investment consulting firm-- admittedly, one of the more off-center sort-- and one of the MDs was a professional harpsichordist with a conservatory degree as well as a good MBA from a (the?) top US program. Some MBA programs are especially receptive to sector-switchers and others looking to make a change, and not just get their ticket punched as they climb a single ladder.

Quick Reply

Latest