The Student Room Group

I'm on 600 calories a day and didnt lose any weight last week!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In One Ear
Ahahahah well this is bull**** tbh. Petite inactive females probably don't even need 2k cals to sustain a healthy stable body weight....

Probably right but no human is meant to be inactive, everyone is meant to do exercise everyday. Alll those 1200 calorie a day plans ARE starvation. A child needs more, its really sad people do that to themselves.
If you do that, your body will burn muscle, not fat. If you want to lose weight then you should still be eating, but replace fatty/unhealthy foods with more protein/vitamins etc.
Original post by trifleontoast
Probably right but no human is meant to be inactive, everyone is meant to do exercise everyday. Alll those 1200 calorie a day plans ARE starvation. A child needs more, its really sad people do that to themselves.

Well ok but plenty of the population is inactive so...

Also theres a HUGE difference proportionately between 1200 cals and 2000 cals!
Original post by Physflop
No they won't. Go do some work in your human biology

So you're telling me that when basically not eating food, they won't lose fat and muscle mass? You're telling me the energy required to move and sustain their body weight will magically come out of nothing? That their body is suddenly breaking the energy laws of the universe?

If this was true starvation would be impossible, please use your head dude...
Original post by In One Ear
Well ok but plenty of the population is inactive so...

Also theres a HUGE difference proportionately between 1200 cals and 2000 cals!

Yes but just because they are doesn't make it right. To be healthy we as humans are meant to get our heart pumping more than at resting. If you exercise you can eat more. Yes, that was just an example because it was mentioned further up by someone and it is a very popular number in the dieting world as is 1600. Still too low. It needs to be near 2000. Starvation causes so many issues, muscle loss, depression, eating disorders. Bleugh, anyone who says they are eating 1200 calories I just want to walk away from
Original post by abc101
Troll. Really doubt anyone's moronic enough to only eat 600 unhealthy calories a day and think they'll lose weight.

What a load of rubbish.

I eat under 600 calories a day, and I've been losing weight.

Not everyone who eats this amount is a troll or is stupid.

Original post by trifleontoast
Yes but just because they are doesn't make it right. To be healthy we as humans are meant to get our heart pumping more than at resting. If you exercise you can eat more. Yes, that was just an example because it was mentioned further up by someone and it is a very popular number in the dieting world as is 1600. Still too low. It needs to be near 2000. Starvation causes so many issues, muscle loss, depression, eating disorders. Bleugh, anyone who says they are eating 1200 calories I just want to walk away from

Why does it bother you so much how many calories other people eat?

To the OP: you shouldn't be eating this amount. It's not healthy.

But I do not practise what I preach.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
What a load of rubbish.

Not everyone who eats this amount is a troll or is stupid.

Why does it bother you so much how many calories other people eat?

Because I care. Ive been there done that, worn the t shirt and had an eating disorder. Our bodies need food, 600 calories is serious stuff, go get help seriously. I used to eat more than that at my lowest
I do not think you are only eating 600 calories a day. You say your biscuits are 200 calories, a bag of crisps (depending on which ones you eat) are a minimum of 100 calories the chocolate bar is another minimum 100 calories. Your evening meal of chicken with veg: Only 200 calories?! Does that include potatoes? How are they cooked? Roasted is high in calories, mashed (with butter) will be high, how do you cook the chicken? Fried? High in cals, with the skin on again high in cals. I think if you took a proper look you are probably eating far more calories than you realise.
Reply 48
Original post by rayquaza17
What a load of rubbish.

stupid.

Lose weight with a healthy deficit and then tell people 600 calories is enough... Telling people that this is even close to being okay you shouldn't be giving dietary advice and maybe learning more about macro nutrients and caloric intake versus TDEE...

OP probably doesn't track his calorie intake, as do most people and probably eat double or even triple what they think they are eating. Judging how many calories instead of getting actual figures is why **** mentality of "THE LESS I EAT THE MORE I WILL LOSE WEIGHT". Healthy weight loss is around 1-2lbs per week. You can lose more, water retention plays a big part and depends on day to day which is why visual comparison is better than just watching the scales every other day.

As a male, you should probably never diet under 1800 to 1600 calories a day, 1450-1500 lowest. Eating less you will just feel weak, have no energy and probably end up feeling unwell over a long period of time. Females are less lenient, 1200-1400 is usually around a girls TDEE. Around 1000 with cardio should be an aim among females.

Original post by abc101
Troll. Really doubt anyone's moronic enough to only eat 600 unhealthy calories a day and think they'll lose weight.

If this post is serious then you are stupid. Calorie is a calorie, doesn't matter what food. 500 calories in vegetables versus 500 calories in chocolate biscuits, promote the same weight loss figures if eating in a caloric deficit, obviously the macro nutrients would be different.

Your body doesn't want to change, it will do what it can to hold onto fat cells, it will go for lean tissue and when you drop your calories below a certain number, your metabolism will slow down and you will probably hit a plateau, I say probably, definitely. Eat at a healthy number and do some research.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Kirbxe
Lose weight with a healthy deficit and then tell people 600 calories is enough... Telling people that this is even close to being okay you shouldn't be giving dietary advice and maybe learning more about macro nutrients and caloric intake versus TDEE...

OP probably doesn't track his calorie intake, as do most people and probably eat double or even triple what they think they are eating. Judging how many calories instead of getting actual figures is why **** mentality of "THE LESS I EAT THE MORE I WILL LOSE WEIGHT". Healthy weight loss is around 1-2lbs per week. You can lose more, water retention plays a big part and depends on day to day which is why visual comparison is better than just watching the scales every other day.

As a male, you should probably never diet under 1800 to 1600 calories a day, 1450-1500 lowest. Eating less you will just feel weak, have no energy and probably end up feeling unwell over a long period of time. Females are less lenient, 1200-1400 is usually around a girls TDEE. Around 1000 with cardio should be an aim among females.

If this post is serious then you are stupid. Calorie is a calorie, doesn't matter what food. 500 calories in vegetables versus 500 calories in chocolate biscuits, promote the same weight loss figures if eating in a caloric deficit, obviously the macro nutrients would be different.

Your body doesn't want to change, it will do what it can to hold onto fat cells, it will go for lean tissue and when you drop your calories below a certain number, your metabolism will slow down and you will probably hit a plateau, I say probably, definitely. Eat at a healthy number and do some research.

No, clearly you're stupid. 'A calorie is a calorie' is largely considered to be idiocy in the nutrition world. And if you genuinely think you'll consistently lose weight on a starvation diet because you're taking in so few calories you're a moron.
Reply 50
Original post by abc101
No, clearly you're stupid. 'A calorie is a calorie' is largely considered to be idiocy in the nutrition world. And if you genuinely think you'll consistently lose weight on a starvation diet because you're taking in so few calories you're a moron.

I'm 6ft2 260 and my competition weight is 235.

A calorie is a calorie, but micro nutrients are different, obviously 180g protein is used differently than 180g of carbs. I eat at 1500-1800 whilst cruising 250mg of test and I do perfectly fine, I wouldn't go below 2000, but I would do cardio so that you can actually eat some food of a diet/cut as a natural as many are, lol.

But eating 1800 in clean foods versus everyday "junk" or whatever you wish to call the foods that have bad nutritional value e.g. calorie dense foods. You will NEAR ENOUGH the same weight. A lot of people have the misconception because sodium plus some people hold a lot more water with higher carbohydrate intake. But water fluctuation can't be mistaken with weight gain and a lot of people think they aren't losing fat, which they in fact are.

I didn't say anything about someone consistency losing weight on 600 calories, I can tell you misunderstood what I said or didn't read it. 600 calories, metabolism will slow down and body will do what it can do keep fat storage and eat from LBM... I mentioned hitting plateaus as well. But you will initially lose weight, but mostly water.

Been doing this a long time, gear usage to one side. I've dieted naturally, it's a lot slower because you have to be more consistent with calories and cardio if you want to preserve as much lean mass as you can, but basic biology is there and it isn't changing.

I'm glad you challenged me on this and called me stupid though. :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Couple weeks ago I had tonsillitis and glandular fever, I found it really, really hard to swallow and was determined to not go to the doctor, I thought I could stick it out (stupid of me I know). So I practically ate nothing for 5 days but watermelon slices (it was easier to swallow for some reason), drinking was even hard to do, so obviously the watermelon gave me water and some carbs. Anyway, after caving in and going to the doctors to get antibiotics I noticed two days later I lost a stone in weight, that can't be normal right, I know that's seriously unhealthy. Just wondering but is that because the tonsillitis and the glandular fever causing me to loose weight, the very little eating I done, or a combo of both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can easily go from 73kg to 78kg in a few days of eating saltier foods, and then back down in a similar amount of time. No idea how people can conclude what they've lost/gained after a week, unless they weigh themselves every morning same conditions, but even then.
Original post by Kirbxe
I'm 6ft2 260 and my competition weight is 235.

A calorie is a calorie, but micro nutrients are different
, obviously 180g protein is used differently than 180g of carbs. I eat at 1500-1800 whilst cruising 250mg of test and I do perfectly fine, I wouldn't go below 2000, but I would do cardio so that you can actually eat some food of a diet/cut as a natural as many are, lol.

But eating 1800 in clean foods versus everyday "junk" or whatever you wish to call the foods that have bad nutritional value e.g. calorie dense foods. You will NEAR ENOUGH the same weight. A lot of people have the misconception because sodium plus some people hold a lot more water with higher carbohydrate intake. But water fluctuation can't be mistaken with weight gain and a lot of people think they aren't losing fat, which they in fact are.

I didn't say anything about someone consistency losing weight on 600 calories, I can tell you misunderstood what I said or didn't read it. 600 calories, metabolism will slow down and body will do what it can do keep fat storage and eat from LBM... I mentioned hitting plateaus as well. But you will initially lose weight, but mostly water.

Been doing this a long time, gear usage to one side. I've dieted naturally, it's a lot slower because you have to be more consistent with calories and cardio if you want to preserve as much lean mass as you can, but basic biology is there and it isn't changing.

I'm glad you challenged me on this and called me stupid though. :-)

So, a calorie is a calorie except when it isn't? I broadly agree with you but anyone who prescribes to the notion that calorimetry is an exact science to translate energy density of foods to real life usages doesn't understand some of the basics. The thermoegenic effect of food can have as much of a difference of 25% when digesting protein+fibre vs simple carbs.

You've even gone on yourself to say different macros are handled differently by the body.

Your metabolism doesn't slow down either, there is a small amount of evidence that your non-exercise associated thermogenesis (NEAT) can be slightly down regulated by your thalamus, combined with the obvious reductions in LBM from eating such low calorie intake (something that can be mitigated slightly by a high protein modified fast) is small, something around 5-10% at most - something that will obviously still be overcome by eating 600 kcals. The Minnesota Starvation experiment is a perfect example.

Original post by Kirbxe

See above. Do you know how we calculate how many kcals something is worth? If you really think the body handles 500 kcals of broccoli the same way as 500 kcals of biscuits you really shouldn't be pointing fingers about research or calling others stupid.

Your last paragraph I have no words for. You think your body will prioritise it's stored energy from adipocites over lean body mass? Do you know any basic metabolism and the interactions between the energy storing and retreveiving hormones? Lean body mass is broken down lastly when requirements for its constituents is needed for other prioritised bodily functions, like the production of blood proteins to maintain osmolality. However, this interaction is complex and poorly understood - it can be mitigated by the intake of high amounts of protein despite being in a calorific deficit and/or by frequent use of the muscles to prevent atrophy.

See above for the myth of metabolic slow down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

Have I missed the point of dieting?

Why did I not lose anything?

Hopefully, you're trolling because this sounds like utter crap :u:
Original post by abc101

Do you know what kcals are? It's a unit of energy. We cannot magic up energy.

Go read up on the Minnesota Starvation experiment - hell, use some common sense. It would be a perfect world if we wouldn't lose weight if we only ate crap or nothing. Either your a troll or you really need to brush up on this stuff - you would starve on 600 kcals a day, biscuits or otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Celebi899
Couple weeks ago I had tonsillitis and glandular fever, I found it really, really hard to swallow and was determined to not go to the doctor, I thought I could stick it out (stupid of me I know). So I practically ate nothing for 5 days but watermelon slices (it was easier to swallow for some reason), drinking was even hard to do, so obviously the watermelon gave me water and some carbs. Anyway, after caving in and going to the doctors to get antibiotics I noticed two days later I lost a stone in weight, that can't be normal right, I know that's seriously unhealthy. Just wondering but is that because the tonsillitis and the glandular fever causing me to loose weight, the very little eating I done, or a combo of both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

that could also be water mass being lost due to the fever and sweating lots and probably not getting enough back from the watermelon
Original post by Cowy97
that could also be water mass being lost due to the fever and sweating lots and probably not getting enough back from the watermelon

I actually don't remember getting a fever at all (but my brothers did, they had it too), I didn't have most of either of my brothers symptoms, except for the fact I could barely swallow. I was walking around (albeit abit slower and stuff) but I carried on my days like normal, I got into the mindset of thinking I'm stronger than the sickness (think it worked looking back) and I've still lost that stone of weight, pretty happy about it tbh lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Most days of the week I only eat a bag of crisps and a small chocolate bar for lunch, and then have a basic dinner like chicken with veg. I also eat maybe 3-4 biscuits a day (this contributes at least 200 calories to the 600).

I weigh 12st 7lbs and didn't lose a single lb last week despite my diet and going for a 30 minute every day.

Have I missed the point of dieting?

Why did I not lose anything?

Here's a tip for everyone - Do NOT calorie count - unless you are an athlete that needs to hit a certain amount for training or you have guidelines from doctors etc. Calorie counting can become addictive and as a lot of people have already stated on this thread it's not always the way to control your weight and diet. Think more about what type of foods you are eating and if you are getting the right quantity of each food group a day. I am not saying give up the chocolate and crisps but keep it in moderation.

It is harder on a student income for sure but do not succumb to unhealthy snacks as a solution. Also drinking plenty of water in the place of fizzy drinks will aid with weight loss and being healthy in general both in mind and body. Things such as increasing exercise (even if in small steps) is a given aid but also gaining more sleep. If you do increase the amount of exercise you do however do not be disheartened if your weight loss slows after a while or gains as it is more than likely that you are gaining muscle weight (due to muscles being denser than fat).

Last tip: Do not think of a diet as 'going on a diet' because it is not something you can suddenly change and expect immediate results and it often leaves your body fluctuating and deprived of energy which causes most 'diets' to fail. Try thinking of it as a slow process where you alter your diet I.e by swapping out biscuits for fruit or nuts. And then you will notice a change in weight in the long run and it is much safer.

Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Ok so to clear things up although it is not recommended yes you can safely and successfully loose weight on 600calories if it is done for a short amount of time and the calories are made up of the right variations of food.
The two things to consider are ; your calorie intake is made up of the wrong foods, and secondly bear in mind that when exercising it takes 10minutes minimum for the actual 'fat burning' to begin. Aswell as this on 600 calories it is probably not enough to sustain a workout.
My advice to you for fast, healthy weightloss is just to cut out carbs and sugar most days! Works a trick.

Quick Reply