The Student Room Group

I lied about who I was, please read

A few months ago, I joined a site.. it has quite a bad reputation and is known for paedophiles. I was bored so I went on it with my friend, we wee bored. To protect myself I lied about my name and my picture (got a random picture off Google). I am glad I did because I got myself a hacker on the site who tried to hack into my laptop and steal all my details, he even saved my picture (the fake he thought was real), and would vandalise it inappropriately and upload it onto the site etc. He also did some weird things like destroy my internet connection sometimes and hack into my personal accounts.

I met a guy on there, we became really good friends and I hate not telling him the truth. Everything I tell him is true as in my age, location, interests etc just not my name and picture. I had a legitimate reason for concealing my true identity and I didn't expect to meet someone like him on there. He gets angry so easily and he is ALSO a hacker so I'm really apprehensive about coming clean. We live very far away so I doubt we'll meet but we're getting closer and I can't deal with this guilt anymore, it tortures me everyday. Do I come clean knowing the risks or do I keep quiet and just continue being online friends?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I do trust him and he won't do anything to me but it was really hard with the last hacker I encountered on that site, I was lucky my entire router wasn't destroyed and all my details weren't stolen, if anything it made me EVEN more apprehensive about protecting my identity online in the future. I just don't know if he will understand where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to justify what I did, I was very wrong and it makes me feel like crap everytime I speak to him and if he chooses to never talk to me again, I know I deserve it.
Keep quiet
Reply 3
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu
Keep quiet

But he has me on WhatsApp and says things like 'why won't you upload pictures of yourself?', I can't do that as my real life friends and family are on there and they will know that picture isn't me. I hate the mess I've got myself into, I know I only have myself to blame, I'm just torn between coming clean and risking my safety or staying quiet and deceiving him and making myself feel worse.
Original post by Anonymous
But he has me on WhatsApp and says things like 'why won't you upload pictures of yourself?', I can't do that as my real life friends and family are on there and they will know that picture isn't me. I hate the mess I've got myself into, I know I only have myself to blame, I'm just torn between coming clean and risking my safety or staying quiet and deceiving him and making myself feel worse.

Lol nob, why don't you just change your phone number and quit the site? tf?
Reply 5
Original post by Placeboo123
Lol nob, why don't you just change your phone number and quit the site? tf?

'Nob', I quit the site ages ago. I don't want to change my phone number because I actually like talking to him.
Reply 6
wtf?
Reply 7
If he's a hacker he probably isn't so nice a person anyway
Reply 8
Original post by kiki37
If he's a hacker he probably isn't so nice a person anyway

He has actually told me some of the things he has done to people in the past, he actually taught that hacker in my first post how to hack into accounts, control PC's, turn webcams on so if anything the guy I am friends with is even more skilled and is more of a threat. However, he is quite attached to me and I am about 90% sure he won't do anything weird to me in revenge. He said he doesn't do hacking anymore.
Reply 9
He has actually told me some of the things he has done to people in the past, he actually taught that hacker in my first post how to hack into accounts, control PC's, turn webcams on so if anything the guy I am friends with is even more skilled and is more of a threat. However, he is quite attached to me and I am about 90% sure he won't do anything weird to me in revenge. He said he doesn't do hacking anymore.

He just sounds like a weirdo, no offence. Just tell him the truth. It's all you can do. The longer you lie, the more mad he'll be. It's also worrying you said he gets angry easily. What does he have to be angry at you about?
Original post by kiki37
He just sounds like a weirdo, no offence. Just tell him the truth. It's all you can do. The longer you lie, the more mad he'll be. It's also worrying you said he gets angry easily. What does he have to be angry at you about?

When I first encountered him online, I gave him the online name I go by and a Google profile picture because him and some of the others kept pestering me for it, I didn't give him my real name or appearance, it's deceptive because he gave me his name and profile picture straight away. I'm just very paranoid after the last hacking.
block him on everything. seriously. he's dangerous.

Oh so that's why some of my friends don't have a Whatsapp photo...
I would suggest block him, leave him alone and cut off any connections with him. Clearly he wants a picture of you and is a hacker. God knows what he would do.

Plus, you haven't met him so there in't any point.

Do you watch Catfish: The TV Show? It's rather a good program and with a lesson as well. So I would suggest don't talk to him. He could be pedophile, molester, rapist and the list goes on.
'Nob', I quit the site ages ago. I don't want to change my phone number because I actually like talking to him.

Suit yourself.
why don't you find someone who isn't a complain weirdo do be friends with? lol.
Reply 16
I'm really hoping that you are kidding. Now, if you are serious the decision is very simple: block him, delete his number or change yours because:
1.You do not need virtual friends who can tell you anything and lie (as you did for example.) I can guarantee you he doesn't care if he talks to you or not because you are not together in the same place, and probably will never be.

2. A relationship (no matter what type it is) can't be healthy and evolve in something beautiful if you just talk online.

3.And I agree with the fact that he seem very weird, and also he is aggressive and that is a big sign that you should stay away.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by vincentjack
block him on everything. seriously. he's dangerous.

I don't know, he seems harmless as in he wouldn't do anything to me. We talk nearly all day, everyday and we'd stay awake talking to each other all night about everything. He has had feelings for me for quite a few months now, this was before he even saw my fake profile picture (we used to start off just IM'ing), he knows I don't reciprocate these feelings but he's always had a thing for me. He hurts others but I don't think he would hurt me. He told me if anybody tried to hack me again, he'd take control of their computer and launch a ddos attack on them (he has done so in the past for me), I trust him and he means a lot to me but he also scares me because of what he is capable of doing. I realise how strange all of this sounds.
Original post by DiaanaE
I'm really hoping that you are kidding. Now, if you are serious the decision is very simple: block him, delete his number or change yours because:
1.You do not need virtual friends who can tell you anything and lie (as you did for example.) I can guarantee you he doesn't care if he talks to you or not because you are not together in the same place, and probably will never be.

2. A relationship (no matter what type it is) can't be healthy and evolve in something beautiful if you just talk online.

3.And I agree with the fact that he seem very weird, and also he is aggressive and that is a big sign that you should stay away.

It's hard to explain. He seems aggressive in a jealous way if I talk to other males. He is really friendly, funny and has never done anything to hurt me in the past although he is more than capable of doing it if he wanted to. He is quite well known online, has a reputable company etc all with his real name and picture, he is legitimate. He really wants to meet me and has always been there to support me if I ever needed him to. He hasn't done anything wrong to me here, it's me who has done wrong to HIM.
Original post by ChickenMadness
why don't you find someone who isn't a complain weirdo do be friends with? lol.

I already have friends, this is a guy I came across online unexpectedly and ended up forming a close friendship with. I still talk to all my other friends, but nobody else knows this story except me, I haven't told anyone in real life about it because of how surreal/strange it actually sounds so I can't talk to anyone about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending